Harty Backs Losers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Bob won't stay as number two forever, he obviously wants to be the manager of a team, if he gets turned down for the job again, what will he do? Probably apply for managers jobs with other clubs, so we could easily lose him.

I reckon he should be given a go for a few more games on a trial basis while the search goes on. We are still winning games, if we start losing games that we should win then will be the time to look elsewhere.

Sooner or later every manager has to get their first opportunity to be No1, why not now?

sadam

Jul 31, 2003
lewes
Harty apologies if i got that wrong re greg stanley:shootself
maybe it was the Gills Ugly Otti you were drinking with in the Pink
Cocanut only joking .( how the hell do you spell cocanut,cocunt, cocunut)

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The reason most good 'number twos' go on to become crap managers are because it is a different job. Manager is there to set out strategy, such as what formation to play and players to buy/loan to fill it and tactics, such as 'we are playing Grimsby today so need to play such-and-such formation'.

The job of the number 2 is to convey these messages to the players in words they understand (incredibly some of them aren't very bright) and motivate them. It stands to perfect reason that someone may be very good strategically/tactically but not so good at explaining/motivating.

Keep Bob at no 2 - he is obviously a good motivator. But get in someone who really knows tactics and how to get in good players even if they don't have Bob's motivational skills

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I cannot see why it is inevitable that the understudy would not be good enough. In the real world understudies get promoted all the time. They have to learn the new job, hopefully without making too many mistakes. This is the same of a new young Manager is brought in from the outside.

Promoting from within had its advantages as it prevents resentment.

First of all look within, and only then if the skills are missing, look to recruit from without.

Ideally, the number two should be ready to step into the shoes if the number one has a heart attack, deserts the club etc.

Only in small and stingy clubs would the number two really have a different role.

Wez

Aug 18, 2003
Worthing
Anyone remember the qoute from hinshelwood after the 3-1 or 3-0 away win at burnley last season. He said "we are looking to get out of this division the right way!". As soon as he said that i thought oh nooo! this bloke has not got a clue.

I wouldnt even announce that if i was playing Champo with my mates!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
perseus said:
First of all look within, and only then if the skills are missing, look to recruit from without.

Sorry mate - the skills ARE mssing if first half against Grimsby and 90 minutes against FGR are anything to go by

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Fair enough comment Spiro.

Could be just mistakes though. Anybody inexperienced moving into a new job makes mistakes.

I tend to think if the same mistakes are made more than once.

Great Commanders: Alexander the Great made mistakes. It was his ability to rectify them and win the day that counted.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There you go then - get Bob Booker to lead an army against the Persians.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why? In all honesty I hope the people who DID think Bob was the right man haven't been put off by two defeats. That would actually says more about the quality and fickleness of their judgments than backing the wrong man in the first place.

Budgie

Jul 22, 2003
Sussex
Kent Seagull said:
Bob won't stay as number two forever, he obviously wants to be the manager of a team, if he gets turned down for the job again, what will he do? Probably apply for managers jobs with other clubs, so we could easily lose him.

I reckon he should be given a go for a few more games on a trial basis while the search goes on. We are still winning games, if we start losing games that we should win then will be the time to look elsewhere.

Sooner or later every manager has to get their first opportunity to be No1, why not now?

Whose going to want Bob Booker as manager?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think Bob Booker is ther right man, but I don't think Steve Cotterill is either. I think I prefer Bob Booker of the two (which is not saying much at all, except that Steve Cotterill hasn't got the experience either, although he may have more nous?)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports