Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hartfield, East Sussex, most valuable town 17/20.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Brighton is not a town?

Brighton is a town as far as i am concerned.............we used to say Going up the town (Western Rd) Going down the town (London rd) that from Hollingdean...

Towns of Hove and Brighton make it some sort of city.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just because someone describes Leon Best as a striker does not mean he is one.

As that applies to both town status and city status,what would be your verdict....(on the town/city bit)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Brighton is a town as far as i am concerned.............we used to say Going up the town (Western Rd) Going down the town (London rd) that from Hollingdean...

Towns of Hove and Brighton make it some sort of city.

Used to say the same about London Road/ Western Rd.
Very rarely went to Western Road as a kid it was London Road as it was full of decent shops and the Open Market.
Most people over a certain age that grew up in Brighton will still call it a town.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Used to say the same about London Road/ Western Rd.
Very rarely went to Western Road as a kid it was London Road as it was full of decent shops and the Open Market.
Most people over a certain age that grew up in Brighton will still call it a town.

Your correct about the generation age thing,it's true about almost everything.London road was back in the mid 1980's fairly lively and vibrant if my memory recalls,although i'd have been about 15 at the time,my mother used to take me to the market a lot,it was a good time back then...not been to the new market but can't say it would ever feel the same..

As an aside-when entering the market say from Ditchling road side,down the wall on the right there used to be something in the brickwork/walls that even back the gave me an impression of houses or sheds or something,anyway recently when studying the Brighton slums i stumbled across this-

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__10656_img__18335.aspx

Think this might have been on the North side of the open market....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was in the Dorset Arms Tuesday night. Very good food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many years ago they had lamb kebabs in The Anchor that hung down off a hook with a plate underneath that had fabulous fries, also a huge bowl of garlic prawns. Never forgotten, absolutely delicious, if they still have them on the menu then that alone is enough to win any prize.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Lovely place - just got back from dinner at the Gallipot in fact. Althought that's Upper Hartfield so not sure that's included.

Local pub for local people if ever there was. Last time I was in there last summer they told me they'd stopped serving food so we sat in the garden (which does have some cracking views to be fair) only for them to bring food out to the table next to us half an hour later who arrived after us. Funnily enough I've not been back since.

Is the Anchor any good these days? The Hay Wagon is flats now right?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Your correct about the generation age thing,it's true about almost everything.London road was back in the mid 1980's fairly lively and vibrant if my memory recalls,although i'd have been about 15 at the time,my mother used to take me to the market a lot,it was a good time back then...not been to the new market but can't say it would ever feel the same..

As an aside-when entering the market say from Ditchling road side,down the wall on the right there used to be something in the brickwork/walls that even back the gave me an impression of houses or sheds or something,anyway recently when studying the Brighton slums i stumbled across this-

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__10656_img__18335.aspx

Think this might have been on the North side of the open market....

Not been to the new market either, but we used to visit the old Open Market every week.

Good website in that link, often find myself looking things up.
Marshall's Row, that does sound familiar, I have got a few books of old photos of Brighton, may have seen it in one of those.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Local pub for local people if ever there was. Last time I was in there last summer they told me they'd stopped serving food so we sat in the garden (which does have some cracking views to be fair) only for them to bring food out to the table next to us half an hour later who arrived after us. Funnily enough I've not been back since.

If the answer to my post above is yes they do, then the answer to your question is also yes.
Sorry just noticed Wadhurst was in The Dorset i meant The Anchor.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton

Strange, not the experience i've had there, you're correct about the garden though is lovely there on an evening. Frustratingly it's out of walking range for us as the pubs in Forest Row are poor in comparison. Haywagon is shut yes and The Anchor is ok. The village isn't really big enough to sustain three pubs to be honest so it was inevitable one would shut. Gallipot by far the most popular now though with regards to food, and The Hatch still does a decent trade despite being ludicrously expensive.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Many years ago they had lamb kebabs in The Anchor that hung down off a hook with a plate underneath that had fabulous fries, also a huge bowl of garlic prawns. Never forgotten, absolutely delicious, if they still have them on the menu then that alone is enough to win any prize.

I was never a fan of the kebabs but the hot garlic prawns were indeed a thing of beauty. They stopped doing them years ago when they moved from daily fresh fish deliveries to frozen fish. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here