Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

One other thought about Naylor's story ...

Does the fact that he is writing this stuff suggest that he is now on speaking terms with people at the Club?

I guess that's a good thing.

Last edited:

The Complete Badger said:
Are you confident in saying that should a manager decide to release one of the old brigade (an Oatway, Mayo, or Hart), Knight would happily go along with them?
I am reasonably sure that Dick Knight would think very, very carefully today about over-ruling the judgement of a manager that he has just negotiated a three year contract with.

I'm even more certain that the squad that actually runs out to GOSBTS every second Saturday isn't selected by the Chairman.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But Wilkins isn't in a particularly strong position. It's his first job, and if he walks out or is sacked then he will never get another one as a league manager. I just pray that he is given 100% license to do his own thing so that we can all judge him fairly next season. You must know more than me about knight, so I'll trust you that he will.

I don't think even Naylor claimed that Knight PICKED the team, more that he demanded to know it hours earlier than he needed to etc.
Don't buy that first line. He was head-hunted by three bigger clubs than us at the end of last season, and he turned them down. Wilkins' position is much stronger than it was a fortnight ago, before he signed his contract.

This story - assuming it's true - about Knight wanting to know the team has an air of mischief about it. It was merely Knight - as a fan - wanting to know the team, in the same way you or I would. The contention of whether was to influence Dean's choice in the matter has no evidence attached to it one way or the other.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Hart has been very average for the last couple of seasons and Mayo has been awful this season,Again Knight putting in stupid clauses in the contracts.Wait for all the injured players to get deals as well and then in August we sign the usual shit like loft and santos and shit on loan like stokes and williams.
We should be letting hart and mayo go and getting in new players NOW.But of course Knight will go on his hols now and turn his mobile phone off.And just let all his lickers on this board say there usual shit.I quote one on here who thinks that they now it all
I hope we dont go up this year.
Or another
I hope we never make it to the premiership
or the usual
Think back to 10 years ago.

This club will never move forward until we have a board that is ruthless and there is so much dead wood at all levels of this club that needs to be removed

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:
For what it's worth, I'm delighted Hart and Mayo are being offered contracts. I only hope they accept.

So do I and so am I.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
You'll all have to wait until next Tuesday to find out who is in and who is out! The players, let alone anyone else, have no idea until then what their fate is!!!

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
If they both sign another years contract then i for one will be very Happy.
Along with Guy we need their experience just to calm and encourage the younger more inexperienced squad members, not to mention their work ethic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If these are signings as cover I'll be happy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Kerry and Hart have performance related rolling contracts can we assume that Guy Butters does as well? If not why not???

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think we have to be realistic here. Until we get Falmer there is not going to be the mass clear out that some people seem to want. With Kerry Mayo staying and hopefully Sam Rents and Sonny Cobbs signing up we will be okay at left back while Gary Hart provides great cover across the pitch and I would argue is still the best crosser at the club. This would leave Dean Wilkins able to use our budget (which is not massive) to bring in the players we really need - a right back, centre forward who will score 20+ goals and maybe a centre half or central midfielder.

People who complain about Mayo and Hart staying should probably accept that we are unlikely to get anyone better to replace them if they did leave.

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007

As for Wilkins position though, I'm not so sure. As a COACH, what you say is true. He has a track record of success as a coach, particularly with youngsters, and if we sacked him tomorrow he would get a job with ease. But, as a number 1, I do think he's potentially under Knight's thumb. If Wilkins cocks up next season and we struggle, and especially if he is sacked, I think his career as a MANAGER is over.

Disagree with the under the thumb bit, he's in a very good position, he has a very good reputation as a coach AND unlike many on here the rest of the footballing world (well the football league) reckon he's performed very well this season. Our opinions on whether he's any good is not worth a rats arse, because his piers reckon he's one for the future ... No DW is is a very good position ....... hence three years on his contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here