[Football] Harry Maguire

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Seeing as how ol' slabhead was gormless enough to be wearing shorts for that apology of an interview , shame the BBC apologist interviewer didn't just ask to see his 'damaged' legs, seeing as how they were only 'damaged' a couple of days ago and must still be showing some signs of bruising shirley

I agree. What happened to the English youths who were singing Munich 58 songs to HM? In the video clips he didn’t seem particularly drunk (or popular). Surely if he is using his injured legs as part of his defence he would have been keen for the world to have a glimpse of them.
Where were his kids?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought the account he gave on the BBC stacked up.

So did I. He sounded quite angry. But I wasn't properly paying attention. Even Boris sounds plausible on the radio*.

I also don't buy this bollocks about rich footballers shouldn't go on holiday with mates - they are just 'asking for it'. The charge of contributory negligence is as wrong in their case, if they get picked on, as it was for the young lady in the short skirt who inspired Attila to write his poem 'contributory negligence'. The right of free association applies to rich people too.

*Actually, no he doesn't. What am I thinking? :facepalm:

Edit, what do the clever cloggs on here think actually happened? Did Maguire actually start a punch up with local lads? Having watched that 'would I lie to you' programme, some of the stories that are true are the ones that sound the most absurd. :shrug:

Anyway, justice, it's all about opinions, isn't it?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought he came across as an arrogant Brit abroad superior tosser who showed no contrition for the trouble his involvement in this issue has caused and just like Boris he seems to be prepared to try and blag and bullshit his way out of it...the Greeks are right to feel insulted and he is exceptionally lucky that matches will be played with no crowds for the foreseeable.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Its well known that Greek Police often abduct Premiership footballers, its a regular thing and big money for the local police department despite splitting the money 50/50 with Albanian gangsters.

Sorry to be a bore but are you basing that on having watched his BBC interview in full?
Only, nothing you’ve said there tallies with what he said.
If you’ve not watched it, then give it a go. It’s only eight minutes.
His explanation could be a load of bollocks based around a few of the known facts. But it did sound plausible imho.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry to be a bore but are you basing that on having watched his BBC interview in full?
Only, nothing you’ve said there tallies with what he said.
If you’ve not watched it, then give it a go. It’s only eight minutes.
His explanation could be a load of bollocks based around a few of the known facts. But it did sound plausible imho.

Trust your gut. My first instincts are normally pretty good. It is only later I over-think things.

He did not sound like a rotter to me in the albeit shortish clip I heard. He sounded pretty cross, in fact.

Anyway, I'm sure the truth will come out in the Greek courts.

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just watched the first bit of the interview. That boy ain't lying in my opinion.

Rather shocked that some on here dismiss him as thick as mince, while others think he has the ability to weave a frankly preposterous narrative with the imagination and plot building skills of Dame Agatha Christie herself. Sounded like an ordinary lad trying to explain crazy and upsetting events to me, involving his little sister among others.

Also, the impression has been given this was a lads holiday. No, it was four couples that included the player's sister and, I think brother and their partners. A bit like a recent family holiday I had in Croyde.

Also this resort is supposed to be very safe and a bit posh.

My guess? Taxi driver and pals in conspiracy to rob.

I have no time for Man U, and feel that Dunk has been overlooked in part because Maguire plays for a 'top side', but, really.....'ugly', 'thick as mince', 'obviously guilty'?

:shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've seen a lot of defendants in the witness box give their account of what happened in a incident and their story is almost always told to fit the known facts, rather than the facts fitting the story. If you listen to someone who is being truthful, then you tend to think "Yeah, I'd have done that". If they're making it up you think "why would you do that ?"
A half-decent prosecutor will tear them a new one and tie them up in knots with their own bullshit.

On the other hand, it might all be true but I'd not bet on it.

Me to ....i watched a lot of fictional tv shows with juries ...its almost as though its made up

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Trust your gut. My first instincts are normally pretty good. It is only later I over-think things.

He did not sound like a rotter to me in the albeit shortish clip I heard. He sounded pretty cross, in fact.

Yup, did exactly what any reasonable non-rotter would be expected to do in similar circumstances. Abandon family and friends, including his younger sister recently-injected-with-date-rape-drug-by-Albanian-looking-gangsters, to run away to a safe distance and phone his agent. Perfectly understandable. We've all done it :wozza:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yup, did exactly what any reasonable non-rotter would be expected to do in similar circumstances. Abandon family and friends, including his younger sister recently-injected-with-date-rape-drug-by-Albanian-looking-gangsters, to run away to a safe distance and phone his agent. Perfectly understandable. We've all done it :wozza:

Are you really saying he abandoned his sister to save himself? Do you reckon?

It was obvious they were in a fix and needed help.

If You were in that situation would you get your phone out in front of the people that you Were at loggerheads with? Might you not be concerned they might stop you calling for help?

He says he made off, made the call, and then came back.

His whole story may be made up, but I don’t see what’s dubious with his actions at this point, as he explained them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Afraid I don't believe him.

If I had been beaten on the legs, I'd make sure there were photographs to use as evidence. Show the BBC and let them show the audience to get them on your side. That in itself wouldn't make him innocent, just evidence that there was an altercation. In the clip, he doesn't give a full account of what happened, it is only in the text that it states he denies bribery and of course his legal representatives would have told him to do that. It would have been good to see his expression/mannerisms on film as he states that!

No evidence yet that his sister did go to the hospital and if she did, whether she was tested for the drug!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is the sort of story that has all the ingredients for everyone to believe what they want.

There's footballers, Man u, drinking, fame, wealth, PR, foreigners, police, foreign police, lack of video evidence.

Wanna believe all police are corrupt? Harry's innocent, his story makes sense.
Wanna believe all footballers a drunken lawbreakers who think they're above it? His PR team are gonna earn their money with this one, he was found guilty in a court of law! He's clearly the aggressor
Wanna hate foreigners?
Wanna hate man u players?
Wanna hate the wealthy?
Wanna hate legal systems?

There's something in this for everyone to cling to, and make their own minds up and the lack of video footage/evidence will be enough for every angle to claim it fits.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Afraid I don't believe him.

If I had been beaten on the legs, I'd make sure there were photographs to use as evidence. Show the BBC and let them show the audience to get them on your side. That in itself wouldn't make him innocent, just evidence that there was an altercation. In the clip, he doesn't give a full account of what happened, it is only in the text that it states he denies bribery and of course his legal representatives would have told him to do that. It would have been good to see his expression/mannerisms on film as he states that!

No evidence yet that his sister did go to the hospital and if she did, whether she was tested for the drug!

Me neither, A total lack of sincerety, even for a footballer. he's been briefed and brainwashed into telling the story, no doubt by a very expensive lawyer has enough to work with to make that particular story work legally alongside any facts he may have

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Me neither, A total lack of sincerety, even for a footballer. he's been briefed and brainwashed into telling the story, no doubt by a very expensive lawyer has enough to work with to make that particular story work legally alongside any facts he may have

Dominic Cummings in the Rose Garden all over again.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Wow, he’s gone from thick as sh*t baller, to master manipulator in about three posts.
It’s more likely that he was more or less saying the truth. Afterall he admits he dished a bit out, but said he was more inured in the fracas than the cops. There are parts of his interview where it’s difficult to believe he was fibbing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports