Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Harry Maguire

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Hopefully that will be answered in court. Do you think one day is enough time to gather evidence to form a defence?

Why was it not answered in court? With all the wealth and resources Maguire has at his disposal he could have had his sister checked at the same time as him, could he not?

Surely he would have known about the "Albanian Gangsters" and the injected sister on Thursday evening, no? The legal team had time to get evidence. Also, that doesn't detract from what he has been convicted of: which is trying to bribe and assault a police officer.

But you are right, one day to study the prosecutions evidence isn't really enough.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Imagine the OUTRAGE if a 'foreigner' came over here on holiday, got arrested for fighting and attempted bribery, was charged and then got a suspended jail sentence. A certain section of society would be apoplectic with RAGE that the judge didn't throw the book at them and lock them up for life...

Not much sympathy for HM from me, I'm afraid, even if he if he is innocent. He put himself in that situation, he got into the fight – remove yourself from the situation (or get some proper protection around you) in the first place and none of this would've happened. But, given it DID happen, FFS stay in the country to at least put your side of the story forward in person :dunce:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Presumably Maguire could have defended himself by staying in the country and turning up to court to do so. It certainly would have given the impression of someone who was serious about proving their innocence instead of escaping as soon as possible.

If he had been accused of these crimes in the UK, I can't see that he'd be allowed to leave the country allowing the trial to proceed without him.

Defendants can, and regularly do, fail to show up for trial. If that happens it goes one of two ways; the defence advocate excuses themself and the case is proved in absence or the trial proceeds without a defendant (which prejudices the trial in favour of the prosecution as D cannot offer evidence or be cross-examined).
Depending on the trial outcome defendants can be summonsed to attend the sentencing hearing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have to say, I have had a bit of fun mocking Maguire over this, mostly because it's Harry Maguire. But having said that, the unduly swift passage of time from alleged offence to charges to court case to sentencing does feel more than a little disquietening. This isn't a trival motoring offence; he's ended up with a 21 month prison sentence, suspended for three years.

It only happened on Thursday night and he was sentenced on Monday afternoon. So that's effectively ONE working day (Friday) to for the police / prosecuters to have collected and analysed all CCTV, interviewed and collected and written up all witness statements, prepared a legal case, shared the details with the defence team? And the defence team have had how long to digest all the evidence that would be presented against their client and prepare their case? No time at all. That's not right, surely? Not when it comes to administering justice.

I don't know anything about this case other than what has been reported in the media but if I was arrested for an offence on a Thursday night and sentenced to a custodial sentence the following Monday afternoon, I'd be a bit pissed off to be honest. Unless of course I'd pleaded guilty. Which of course Maguire didn't. Doesn't seem fair to me?

I’m with you, I read the defence notes this morning.

Granted yes, he shouldn’t have been there with no security, spending £60k at a bar etc.

But equally, if he is innocent I don’t want to see an innocent man sentenced for a crime he didn’t commit.

Him calling for a cab to go to hospital as he was deathly worried for his sister and they instead drive him to the police station and start an altercation hitting him would be understandably harrowing if true (and would probably explain the bribery, you’d do what you can to protect your family).

But we don’t know the facts do we. Ultimately one thing we can be sure of, he will have the best legal defence money can buy. Personally and by Manchester United. So if he is innocent at all, you’d assume they’ll find a way to overturn it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Breaking on SSN now

Now granted an appeal, so original guilty verdict now quashed, and as of now has no criminal record, and is presumed innocent.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Etc etc etc not ****ing ect FFS

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.........

A bit like how the effect of COVID will affect us all.....

And they’re happy that their cat could be seen over there....

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I think he has the same PR man as Prince Andrew.

Why was he even out there drinking in the first place? If you're a full international playing for a top club, you're leaving yourself open for abuse by going out on the piss in crap tourist destinations and saying things like "do you know who I am" while trying to bribe the local police. He will have his whole retirement to get drunk amongst the general chav public and he gets paid phenomenally well in part because he can't lead a normal life.

THEN..... he comes out and gives a twitchy interview where he says he did nothing wrong and has nothing to apologise for.

All in all, 8/10 for entertainment.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That interview he did that’s on the BBC sport website, he looked the most guilty man you could ever see.

Expect this to die down to near nothing, I found it interesting the prosecutor came out afterwards and basically said had he apologised and shown some remorse things may have been different, roughly translated as we will accept money(probably disguised as a LARGE fine) to sweep this under the rug providing you publicly accept what you did was wrong. I suspect we will see him publicly apologise soon and all of it will magically go away.

His defence of the ‘injection’ and being ‘in fear for his life’ are laughable, just accept you acted like a plum and move on, he’d gain a lot more respect from people if he just came out and was honest and admitting things got out of hand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That interview he did that’s on the BBC sport website, he looked the most guilty man you could ever see.

Expect this to die down to near nothing, I found it interesting the prosecutor came out afterwards and basically said had he apologised and shown some remorse things may have been different, roughly translated as we will accept money(probably disguised as a LARGE fine) to sweep this under the rug providing you publicly accept what you did was wrong. I suspect we will see him publicly apologise soon and all of it will magically go away.

His defence of the ‘injection’ and being ‘in fear for his life’ are laughable, just accept you acted like a plum and move on, he’d gain a lot more respect from people if he just came out and was honest and admitting things got out of hand.

It’s interesting that literally every single pissed-up brawling Brit who gets arrested abroad is never at fault, never. It’s either other people who started it or the police.....or the odd Albanian date-rape drug injector.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I thought the account he gave on the BBC stacked up.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought the account he gave on the BBC stacked up.

Its well known that Greek Police often abduct Premiership footballers, its a regular thing and big money for the local police department despite splitting the money 50/50 with Albanian gangsters.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've seen a lot of defendants in the witness box give their account of what happened in a incident and their story is almost always told to fit the known facts, rather than the facts fitting the story. If you listen to someone who is being truthful, then you tend to think "Yeah, I'd have done that". If they're making it up you think "why would you do that ?"
A half-decent prosecutor will tear them a new one and tie them up in knots with their own bullshit.

On the other hand, it might all be true but I'd not bet on it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It’s interesting that literally every single pissed-up brawling Brit who gets arrested abroad is never at fault, never. It’s either other people who started it or the police.....or the odd Albanian date-rape drug injector.

Seeing as how ol' slabhead was gormless enough to be wearing shorts for that apology of an interview , shame the BBC apologist interviewer didn't just ask to see his 'damaged' legs, seeing as how they were only 'damaged' a couple of days ago and must still be showing some signs of bruising shirley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here