Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Harry Maguire

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ve looked up the lasting effects of rohypnol. It can be traced for up to 72 hours in urine, and up to 5 days in hair follicles, so
1. How did the defence know it was rohypnol
2. Who did the test
3. Was it used as evidence for self defence
4. How did the Maguire party instantly identify Albanians from Greeks

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I’ve looked up the lasting effects of rohypnol. It can be traced for up to 72 hours in urine, and up to 5 days in hair follicles, so
1. How did the defence know it was rohypnol
2. Who did the test
3. Was it used as evidence for self defence
4. How did the Maguire party instantly identify Albanians from Greeks

rohypnol is a tablet.....sounds like a stab in the dark to me.:D

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I have to say, I have had a bit of fun mocking Maguire over this, mostly because it's Harry Maguire. But having said that, the unduly swift passage of time from alleged offence to charges to court case to sentencing does feel more than a little disquietening. This isn't a trival motoring offence; he's ended up with a 21 month prison sentence, suspended for three years.

It only happened on Thursday night and he was sentenced on Monday afternoon. So that's effectively ONE working day (Friday) to for the police / prosecuters to have collected and analysed all CCTV, interviewed and collected and written up all witness statements, prepared a legal case, shared the details with the defence team? And the defence team have had how long to digest all the evidence that would be presented against their client and prepare their case? No time at all. That's not right, surely? Not when it comes to administering justice.

I don't know anything about this case other than what has been reported in the media but if I was arrested for an offence on a Thursday night and sentenced to a custodial sentence the following Monday afternoon, I'd be a bit pissed off to be honest. Unless of course I'd pleaded guilty. Which of course Maguire didn't. Doesn't seem fair to me?

Alternatively it highlights just how glacial our process is in the UK and why so many offences result in no punishment after the defence team get six months to discover a 300 year old loop hole which says any assault by someone called Greg on any given Thursday shall result in a fine of no more than 3 guineas.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Alternatively it highlights just how glacial our process is in the UK and why so many offences result in no punishment after the defence team get six months to discover a 300 year old loop hole which says any assault by someone called Greg on any given Thursday shall result in a fine of no more than 3 guineas.

Our justice system in the UK has been more than decimated since 2010, with 50% of magistrates courts closed, and every case has to to through them on the first hearing, even if it is to be sent to Crown Court.
Court staff, prosecutors, 21000 police have all been lost. Some cases are now taking two years to come to court by which time many witnesses have cried off. The Home Office and CJS are useless.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That's a lot of Cola

you can sort of believe it can't you ....the proprietor was probably more than happy to have harry and his gang quaffing it up , let them run a tab , last night comes around ,
" ey oop Spiros , what's tut tab looking like"
"63 k mr . harry "
"get fooked"
"que"
"63k for wha, ?"
bar owner removes a bar tab of biblical proportions......certainly wouldn't be the first time , it happened to a geordie bloke i knew in Tenerife in the 80's but it was no where near 63k....!!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
you can sort of believe it can't you ....the proprietor was probably more than happy to have harry and his gang quaffing it up , let them run a tab , last night comes around ,
"63 k mr . harry "
"get fooked"
"que"
"63k for wha, ?"
bar owner removes a bar tab of biblical proportions......certainly wouldn't be the first time , it happened to a geordie bloke i knew in Tenerife in the 80's but it was no where near 63k....!!

More than one tab!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bribery on a one to one basis is probably rife, but offering bribes in the police station with several personnel there to witness it, is not the wisest of moves.

It isn’t. But it’s still a measure of their police integrity

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I guess you can only go on the facts presented in the press (FYI the Greek newspapers have given slightly different versions of events).

He definitely got in a fight and was certainly taken to a police station. Then it's what you believe. Do I believe that he and his pissed up family got abusive after arrest, probably. Do I believe that he said what was reported in courts (do you know how I am and I am very rich ect) which amounts to attempted bribery, almost certainly. Do I believe he hit a police officer, not so sure.

Regarding the defenses argument that his sister was injected with something, it certainly could have happened but I do have some questions. It has been reported that Maguire got a medical assessment of his injuries to prove the police attacked him. Could they not have got something more substantive to back up the claim about his sister? I've not seen anywhere that there is more proof than merely what Magire and family have said. (That's not to say it should be dismissed, this sort of accusation should always be taken seriously the victim should be given full support through the process).

(Also, the Albanian element, which wasn't what was originally reported, could just be a clever ploy to appeal to Greek national prejudices to their northern neighbours)

Everything that's been reported is hearsay, I don't know what's true any more than you do.

I'm saying the process stinks. They've not been allowed to do any of the things you suggest because they were locked up. They've obviously had to rush through a defence because the judges wouldn't adjourn.

The evidence heard in court is totally one sided because it's just witness statements from the police. I think that's my main concern here, how can Maguire and co defend themselves against the word of the police without time do to their own investigation? They're saying they can get evidence that contradicts the police statements, surely everyone wants to hear/see what that is :shrug:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.

"Oi, oo you callin' a tart...?"

3f861ca38655bf321e177a359380d379.gif

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Everything that's been reported is hearsay, I don't know what's true any more than you do.

I'm saying the process stinks. They've not been allowed to do any of the things you suggest because they were locked up. They've obviously had to rush through a defence because the judges wouldn't adjourn.

The evidence heard in court is totally one sided because it's just witness statements from the police. I think that's my main concern here, how can Maguire and co defend themselves against the word of the police without time do to their own investigation? They're saying they can get evidence that contradicts the police statements, surely everyone wants to hear/see what that is :shrug:

Presumably Maguire could have defended himself by staying in the country and turning up to court to do so. It certainly would have given the impression of someone who was serious about proving their innocence instead of escaping as soon as possible.

If he had been accused of these crimes in the UK, I can't see that he'd be allowed to leave the country allowing the trial to proceed without him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

A Greek journalist reporting on this on the 5Live breakfast show this morning said that a "speedy trial" (her words, not mine), is completely normal in Greece and used regularly for allegations such as those levelled against Maguire, and it wasn't a kangaroo court that had been hastily convened due to Maguire's status.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
21 month jail sentence - suspended for 3 years. So in effect he's just got off scott-free. Lucky. Yet he's STILL appealing it ? Maybe he should just slope off back to his Cheshire mansion and keep his dumb-arsed slabhead down for a bit.

If his appeal fails, like a frivolous EPL against a red card, I'd find it more than mildly amusing if he ends up doing some proper Papillon in some gruesome greek gulag. Actually, that would make my shit year.

What a prize bell.

Purely speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are contract clauses designed to encourage players to keep their noses clean - bonuses payable which could be withheld due to convictions. At the very least, he could have certain elements of his pay linked to being captain and also being an England international - both thrown into doubt by this.

Even if it's not contractual, he's likely to suffer financially through sponsors being less willing to pay higher fees for someone with a less wholesome image.

AND you've go the inconvenience of travel restrictions to places like the US.

So hardly scott-free and he's probably got an army of highly paid solicitors in his ear telling him they can get him off on appeal...

Based on what I've seen and read of this, I'm inclined to believe he's guilty and would therefore find it pretty amusing if his appeal resulted in more punishment.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

Well they had time to get Maguire to hospital for an examination of his injuries and leave the country. Did they not have time to do the same for the sister?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
"63 k mr . harry "
"get fooked"
"que"
"63k for wha, ?"

Half Greek, half Spanish barman?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Presumably Maguire could have defended himself by staying in the country and turning up to court to do so. It certainly would have given the impression of someone who was serious about proving their innocence instead of escaping as soon as possible.

If he had been accused of these crimes in the UK, I can't see that he'd be allowed to leave the country allowing the trial to proceed without him.

I guess if he feels like the system is completely loaded against him it was better to get home and then appeal, at this point I'm sure he's getting some good legal advice.

I heard Simon Jordan talking yesterday about his experience in Spain which has a similar legal system. He's obviously being very guarded and says he's been told to be careful what he says but he talks about using his connections to help the Leicester players after the incident at Last Manga. It's the last 3 minutes.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1598346000/1598353200/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here