Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Harry Maguire

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve only read the BBC report, and I have to say that, along with my own prejudices of Fast Show countries like Greece, I don’t believe a word of the prosecution or have any faith in Greek legal system. Basket case countries tend not to have any level approaching a decent justice system. Harry and his entourage probably guilty of nothing more than raising their voices in frustration at being wronged in the first place, in a one horse town where the Sheriff’s on everyone’s payroll...if you get my meaning!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’ve only read the BBC report, and I have to say that, along with my own prejudices of Fast Show countries like Greece, I don’t believe a word of the prosecution or have any faith in Greek legal system. Basket case countries tend not to have any level approaching a decent justice system. Harry and his entourage probably guilty of nothing more than raising their voices in frustration at being wronged in the first place, in a one horse town where the Sheriff’s on everyone’s payroll...if you get my meaning!

Do you think Mykonos is some outpost in Russia or something? Greece is a well policed country from my experience.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

If your meaning is "I'm totally clueless" then yeah, I think I get it.

"... nothing more than raising their voices..." LOL!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
21 month jail sentence - suspended for 3 years. So in effect he's just got off scott-free. Lucky. Yet he's STILL appealing it ? Maybe he should just slope off back to his Cheshire mansion and keep his dumb-arsed slabhead down for a bit.

If his appeal fails, like a frivolous EPL against a red card, I'd find it more than mildly amusing if he ends up doing some proper Papillon in some gruesome greek gulag. Actually, that would make my shit year.

What a prize bell.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

This is broadly where I'm at, there seems to be an awful lot of unanswered questions around the circumstances of the original altercation. People are mocking Maguire's story but are willing to accept the police version which sounds equally fabricated.

Going from charges to trial to sentencing in less than 24 hours is a kangeroo court in anyone's language.
[MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] - I can't remember the specifics of your story (tax?) but you've been wrongly pursued by the authorities before so I'm surprised how harsh you're willing to be in this case

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have to say, I have had a bit of fun mocking Maguire over this, mostly because it's Harry Maguire. But having said that, the unduly swift passage of time from alleged offence to charges to court case to sentencing does feel more than a little disquietening. This isn't a trival motoring offence; he's ended up with a 21 month prison sentence, suspended for three years.

It only happened on Thursday night and he was sentenced on Monday afternoon. So that's effectively ONE working day (Friday) to for the police / prosecuters to have collected and analysed all CCTV, interviewed and collected and written up all witness statements, prepared a legal case, shared the details with the defence team? And the defence team have had how long to digest all the evidence that would be presented against their client and prepare their case? No time at all. That's not right, surely? Not when it comes to administering justice.

I don't know anything about this case other than what has been reported in the media but if I was arrested for an offence on a Thursday night and sentenced to a custodial sentence the following Monday afternoon, I'd be a bit pissed off to be honest. Unless of course I'd pleaded guilty. Which of course Maguire didn't. Doesn't seem fair to me?

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If your meaning is "I'm totally clueless" then yeah, I think I get it.

"... nothing more than raising their voices..." LOL!!!

See post 246. You’re willing to accept a Police version of events which sounds ridiculous in a country where Police bribery is common. And you call me clueless.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Do you think Mykonos is some outpost in Russia or something? Greece is a well policed country from my experience.

No. It’s definitely in Greece. A poor country ruined by corruption and a succession of poor governments with a questionable justice system

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
his sister was approached by two Albanians and injected with a date rape drug....??? the arresting officer was not in court as he had a sore back and had been given a painkilling injection ....?? seems to be a lot of injecting going on in the Aegean these days....tsk.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Oh well I think the appeal is a bad move ---- could go wrong -Whoops
The police claim he 'dissed' young police officers-- hes on a hiding to nothing

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Police bribery cant be that common or he wouldve got away with it shirley

It would appear the Maguire party's version of events is that they fell into an altercation with local underworld figures. Now I don't know know much about how the underworld operates in tourist resorts but I imagine they don't fund their lifestyle through a bit of bird watching and a bit of water colour painting. More likely that they are somehow involved in the drugs business, the bar / nightclub scene and local taxi services etc. And in small towns this probably relies on some level of complicity / turning of blind eyes from the authorities. Who knows? But a case where the arrested party claim the involvement of local gangsters does seem to have been dealt with very quickly?

I suppose the moral of this sorry business is that if you are a very wealthy young footballer and play for the second biggest team in the world (after Leeds United, obvs), it isn't necessarily wise to bring undue attention to yourself by running up £63'000 bar bills. Maybe a bit unfair as he can afford it but then I guess high profile and conspicuous wealth has its downsides too. Not that I would know, nor am I ever likely to.

Last edited:

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
This is broadly where I'm at, there seems to be an awful lot of unanswered questions around the circumstances of the original altercation. People are mocking Maguire's story but are willing to accept the police version which sounds equally fabricated.

Going from charges to trial to sentencing in less than 24 hours is a kangeroo court in anyone's language.

[MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] - I can't remember the specifics of your story (tax?) but you've been wrongly pursued by the authorities before so I'm surprised how harsh you're willing to be in this case

I guess you can only go on the facts presented in the press (FYI the Greek newspapers have given slightly different versions of events).

He definitely got in a fight and was certainly taken to a police station. Then it's what you believe. Do I believe that he and his pissed up family got abusive after arrest, probably. Do I believe that he said what was reported in courts (do you know how I am and I am very rich ect) which amounts to attempted bribery, almost certainly. Do I believe he hit a police officer, not so sure.

Regarding the defenses argument that his sister was injected with something, it certainly could have happened but I do have some questions. It has been reported that Maguire got a medical assessment of his injuries to prove the police attacked him. Could they not have got something more substantive to back up the claim about his sister? I've not seen anywhere that there is more proof than merely what Magire and family have said. (That's not to say it should be dismissed, this sort of accusation should always be taken seriously the victim should be given full support through the process).

(Also, the Albanian element, which wasn't what was originally reported, could just be a clever ploy to appeal to Greek national prejudices to their northern neighbours)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would appear the Maguire party's version of events is that they fell into an altercation with local underworld figures. Now I don't know know much about how the underworld operates in tourist resorts but I imagine they don't fund their lifestyle through a bit of bird watching and a bit of water colour painting. More likely that they are somehow involved in the drugs business, the bar / nightclub scene and local taxi services etc. And in small towns this probably relies on some level of complicity / turning of blind eyes from the authorities. Who knows? But a case where the arrested party claim the involvement of local gangsters does seem to have been dealt with very quickly?

I suppose the moral of this sorry business is that if you are a very wealthy young footballer and play for the second biggest team in the world (after Leeds United, obvs), it isn't necessarily wise to bring undue attention to yourself by running up £63'000 bar bills. Maybe a bit unfair as he can afford it but then I guess high profile and conspicuous wealth has its downsides too. Not that I would know, nor am I ever likely to.

Makes you wonder why they bother fannying around with organised crime when they could just open a bar and legally fleece half-bright EPL footballers of £63k and still be home in time for tea

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Makes you wonder why they bother fannying around with organised crime when they could just open a bar and legally fleece half-bright EPL footballers of £63k and still be home in time for tea

the fact that a bar in Mykonos has 63 k worth of stock should raise a few eyebrows...!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
See post 246. You’re willing to accept a Police version of events which sounds ridiculous in a country where Police bribery is common. And you call me clueless.

Bribery on a one to one basis is probably rife, but offering bribes in the police station with several personnel there to witness it, is not the wisest of moves.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
the fact that a bar in Mykonos has 63 k worth of stock should raise a few eyebrows...!!

At least if I ever go to Mykonos I'll know to take a bit extra as it seems the drinks are a bit pricey.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Harry Maguire does not seem the type to get into a fight, unless provoked.
He also doesn’t seem the flash type, unlike his pal judd trump.
Looks like a down to earth northerner , at heart , to me.
This Assessment is not based On any evidence.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I guess you can only go on the facts presented in the press (FYI the Greek newspapers have given slightly different versions of events).

He definitely got in a fight and was certainly taken to a police station. Then it's what you believe. Do I believe that he and his pissed up family got abusive after arrest, probably. Do I believe that he said what was reported in courts (do you know how I am and I am very rich ect) which amounts to attempted bribery, almost certainly. Do I believe he hit a police officer, not so sure.

Regarding the defenses argument that his sister was injected with something, it certainly could have happened but I do have some questions. It has been reported that Maguire got a medical assessment of his injuries to prove the police attacked him. Could they not have got something more substantive to back up the claim about his sister? I've not seen anywhere that there is more proof than merely what Magire and family have said. (That's not to say it should be dismissed, this sort of accusation should always be taken seriously the victim should be given full support through the process).

(Also, the Albanian element, which wasn't what was originally reported, could just be a clever ploy to appeal to Greek national prejudices to their northern neighbours)

Etc etc etc not ****ing ect FFS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here