Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Harry Maguire

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think it is obvious.

FIFA is a corrupt organisation - even without Blatter and the likes - and the people involved in the organisation loves money. The more money in football, the more money for them.

It has always been their modus operandi: ban Mexico from World Cup 1990 for silly reasons, so that the US could qualify and generate attention and interest ahead of World Cup 94. Or: make sure South Korea gets to the semi-final in World Cup 2002 through hilarious refereeing, to finally create more football interest in Asia.

England is the economic locomotive in football. Something that would create (even more) hype and interest would be a goldmine. And if you look how England for the last 12 years or so has constantly been in the shittiest World Cup groups with the easiest pathway to the final... man, I really think they want you to win. Optimally the US or China would win, but that won't happen and you're the third best choice, financially speaking.

If that was the case fairly certain we’d have been given the opportunity to host a World Cup since 1966.

I would actually say there is an anti England sentiment within FIFA and UEFA.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pathetic today. Resorted to starting on Trossard to save face in front of the OT faithful. A mess.

Dunk a superior defender.

He should pick on someone his own size.

On current form, in a proper fight, I think the nimble fleet of foot Trossard would run rings round the slow lumbering ogre.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You look at Maguire then look at Dunk and Webster, and just wonder “how”?

Southgate’s selections are simply mystifying.

John Stones is another one, appalling, don’t get me started on Mings…..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Lots in the media still don’t get it though. Dion Dublin on MOTD2 last night was still claiming Man U players were better individually than ours. Personally, I don’t think a single one would get in our team. Only when their fans and groupies realise this will they stop re-arranging the managerial deckchairs and realise the size of their task.

But they all cost more money. That’s what counts.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Lots in the media still don’t get it though. Dion Dublin on MOTD2 last night was still claiming Man U players were better individually than ours. Personally, I don’t think a single one would get in our team. Only when their fans and groupies realise this will they stop re-arranging the managerial deckchairs and realise the size of their task.
Interesting isnt it. I looked at the team sheets at the start and thought, who improves us? Seems mad to be thinking that.

Truth is, the potential of some of the United players is probably higher but on current form, ability and mentality, I'd take our lot.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Metaphorically the hole in that ship is of Titanic proportions

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Interesting isnt it. I looked at the team sheets at the start and thought, who improves us? Seems mad to be thinking that.

Truth is, the potential of some of the United players is probably higher but on current form, ability and mentality, I'd take our lot.

Exactly all of this. I quite like Dion Dublin but honestly, that was an idiotic comment.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Not sure it is, they are all just average.

The only ones I think would get in Brighton side are Christian and Rashford.

Rashford is only based on me thinking he is a good player and just needs a move.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

That’s exactly it. We should be pleased that the football media still see Brighton as a blip. I think we’ve been the better team V United for the last 3-4 meetings? Including the 3-2 defeat at Amex when it took a penalty after the full time whistle to save their blushes. Slowly, over years, the institution is finding it harder and harder to massage the direction of the game in their favour. Man for man yesterday we were better than them, and like I said earlier, it showed when Maguire resorted to physicalities with Trossard. Every player lost their personal battles yesterday. Maguire taking it personally.

Sorry for the long post / tangent but the beautiful thing about Potterball is actually how simple it makes the game. Replaceable parts, simple passing (albeit with individually skill full players). United huff and puff, we slide the ball in to an empty net x2.

And the 2nd starting from our irreplaceable left back position.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not sure it is, they are all just average.

The only ones I think would get in Brighton side are Christian and Rashford.

Rashford is only based on me thinking he is a good player and just needs a move.
Erikson, Fernandes, Ronaldo (ha!). Maybe de gea.

Rashford and Sancho haven't been good for over a year.

That's it for me.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Definitely De Gea but Fernandes seems to have declined rapidly - he looked a world beater when he arrived but has been dragged into mediocrity. Not sure about Ronaldo either - class player but is clearly a nightmare to handle

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That’s exactly it. We should be pleased that the football media still see Brighton as a blip. I think we’ve been the better team V United for the last 3-4 meetings? Including the 3-2 defeat at Amex when it took a penalty after the full time whistle to save their blushes. Slowly, over years, the institution is finding it harder and harder to massage the direction of the game in their favour. Man for man yesterday we were better than them, and like I said earlier, it showed when Maguire resorted to physicalities with Trossard. Every player lost their personal battles yesterday. Maguire taking it personally.

Sorry for the long post / tangent but the beautiful thing about Potterball is actually how simple it makes the game. Replaceable parts, simple passing (albeit with individually skill full players). United huff and puff, we slide the ball in to an empty net x2.

And the 2nd starting from our irreplaceable left back position.

Great post!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Rashford and Sancho haven't been good for over a year.

That's it for me.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t you take Luke Shaw at left back? I know he didn’t impress at all but we do need one!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If that was the case fairly certain we’d have been given the opportunity to host a World Cup since 1966.

I would actually say there is an anti England sentiment within FIFA and UEFA.

Not anymore I think. Joao Havelange, FIFA president from 1974-1998 absolutely hated England with passion, not least because of the 1966 World Cup where England gave itself a lot of advantages (South American teams not getting training pitches, group stage winners having a say in ref appointments, the red card for Argentina etc.). He was also as corrupt as they come and not much points at him getting money an English direction.

Sepp Blatter was all about new markets... he wanted to make the Women's World Cup as big and popular as the men's version, and he also introduced the rule that the World Cup should never be played in the same continent twice in a row, which obviously made him very popular in a lot of oil states and third world countries who would gladly pay for his support. He might have seen England as an optimised market, not much more to get over there - put the World Cup in Japan/Korea, South Africa, Qatar etc...

This is big business so eventually the US wanted the World Cup again so they investigated the shit out of FIFA, especially in the Caribbeans, and some more lets-have-the-World-Cup-in-LA oriented people took over which tells me it is time to go back to milking the West. The UK abandoned their bid for the 2030 due to the European Championship being cheaper to organise while bringing in the same money. Otherwise you'd have a World Cup in England in 2030.

My comments about FIFA helping England are a bit tongue-in-cheek but no doubt it would be good for them if the hype around international football in England would increase. People all over the world follow English football so if there's more attention on the World Cup over there FIFA and their sponsors get all happy clappy. But you know... If you get another free pass to the semi-final (and arguably the easiest opponent in that semi) and another group stage draw like the current one, you'd have to start to wonder how much they're willing to help you...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wouldn’t you take Luke Shaw at left back? I know he didn’t impress at all but we do need one!

He's had like two good seasons in ten years or so. If people didn't still think of him as a 21-year old super talent, none of which he is, he'd be a squad player in Aston Villa or Southampton by now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
They have a number of players that would make our squad, they are just not playing well as a team. Midfield wise they are weak though, and post match I heard a commentator ask, "Why aren't United finding players like Caicedo?" which made me smile because they did, they just couldn't be arsed to sort out the complicated third party ownership issues, leaving the door open for us, and right now I hope Caicedo is very happy about that turn of events.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They have a number of players that would make our squad, they are just not playing well as a team. Midfield wise they are weak though, and post match I heard a commentator ask, "Why aren't United finding players like Caicedo?" which made me smile because they did, they just couldn't be arsed to sort out the complicated third party ownership issues, leaving the door open for us, and right now I hope Caicedo is very happy about that turn of events.

They would have ruined him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here