Hardest School in Brighton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
Anyone recall the big fight between Hove Park and Blatch Mill in the late 80's made the national press I seem to recall.

You mean Neville!? Remember Kinestan running out with a baseball bat one snowy day when the boys were throwing snowballs over the fence. Im surprised no one has mentioned Neville Sec from the mid 70s to the early 80s.. Knoll and neville never got on either..

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Maggie Hardy had some right nutters , if it was not for that school Brighton would have no middle aged lady bus drivers .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
These schools sound like fun.. During my 5 years at my secondary school we had...
1 teacher knocked out and jaw broken
5 people come to the school with bats and crowbars trying to find a student.
Chair thrown at the teacher :whistle:
A racist **** knocked out in 3 separate occasions(still didn't learn to keep his gob shut)
1 kid having the shit kicked out of him and didn't come back to school for almost 2 months...

School in Aus was great... And I wasn't even at the worst school...

sounds like Fawcett had a school in Aus !!:smile:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes remember the name of Mr Ingham but can't picture him.. One I forgot was Maurice Packham who taught history, quietly spoken until he lost his rag, which he seemed to with us on a regular basis. One of the jacket with elbow patches brigade.

Ingham looked a bit like Alf Garnett and I think he may have retired the year you started Fawcett, he also used to smoke in the class, his classroom was above miss Dockerell.
I remember Maurice Packham if you get the Argus look on the letters page he sends them in, usually moaning!

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Mr Gillard - another name I remember but can't place the face. May have been after Hodder as I think he was just a teacher when I was there.

There was also a Geography teacher (was that Gillard?).

Their were two Gillards when I was there (1980-84). One was headmaster and the other was a language teacher (German or French, but not sure). I got caned by both of them. :lolol:

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Ingham looked a bit like Alf Garnett and I think he may have retired the year you started Fawcett, he also used to smoke in the class, his classroom was above miss Dockerell.
I remember Maurice Packham if you get the Argus look on the letters page he sends them in, usually moaning!

I think I remember Miss Stanbrook above Dockerall`s class - English.

Also remember Pete Holland (nice guy, now RIP recently I believe) for biology and Mr Denyer?? for physics both smoking their pipes in class. Pete Holland used to smash a javelin down with great force on your desk if you misbehaved and I used to fear that the metal end would come loose and impale someone.

I remember being caned by Mr Thompson or Mr Eastwood on both hands and then the rear in one go !!! Does this make me hard or a fool ----- I already know the answer before anyone else replies.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think I remember Miss Stanbrook above Dockerall`s class - English.

Also remember Pete Holland (nice guy, now RIP recently I believe) for biology and Mr Denyer?? for physics both smoking their pipes in class. Pete Holland used to smash a javelin down with great force on your desk if you misbehaved and I used to fear that the metal end would come loose and impale someone.

I remember being caned by Mr Thompson or Mr Eastwood on both hands and then the rear in one go !!! Does this make me hard or a fool ----- I already know the answer before anyone else replies.

I have been trying to remember miss Stanbook's name, thanks, I think she was fitter than Dockerall, and blonde. shame about Pete Holland he never tought me as I was in Denyers class (see one of my other posts).

In reply to you getting the cane, neither hard or a fool, just a typical Fawcett Herbert, like me!

You may have put it on here but when did you leave?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Their were two Gillards when I was there (1980-84). One was headmaster and the other was a language teacher (German or French, but not sure). I got caned by both of them. :lolol:

I cant remember what he tought, do you remember a Mr Marsh? i don't remember him from school but i have worked on his house a few times, we always have a good laugh about Fawcett, i think Gillard(not the head) is a friend of his.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
I cant remember what he tought, do you remember a Mr Marsh? i don't remember him from school but i have worked on his house a few times, we always have a good laugh about Fawcett, i think Gillard(not the head) is a friend of his.

I think Mr Marsh might have been Chemistry.

I started 79 and left 83 so we would have overlapped (from seeing your previous post), I was good friends with a few from your year living in the posh part of Patcham (Patchdean) at the time.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think Mr Marsh might have been Chemistry.

I started 79 and left 83 so we would have overlapped (from seeing your previous post), I was good friends with a few from your year living in the posh part of Patcham (Patchdean) at the time.

Patchdean top place! Ian S a friend by any chance? very funny lad.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Patchdean top place! Ian S a friend by any chance? very funny lad.

We had two Ian S`s - one slightly younger than the other, but I think the one you meant was indeed a funny lad and I was very good mates with his younger brother Andy.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We had two Ian S`s - one slightly younger than the other, but I think the one you meant was indeed a funny lad and I was very good mates with his younger brother Andy.

that's the one, top lad. we went to Wembley to see England play with Fawcett on a coach, i got a kid in my class to get me a large ticket roll off his dad a bus driver, i gave it to Ian in the stadium and he chucked it at the pitch and it hit a copper.
when we got on the coach after school a teacher said to keep your uniforms on. by the time the coach reached the bottom of Ladies Mile Rd the teacher looked round to see us lot decked out in trainers,jeans and Pringle jumpers!

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
If this was a "Dirtiest girls" thread Maggie Hardon would win by miles.
I would say that half of the single mums in Brighton originated from MHardy.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If this was a "Dirtiest girls" thread Maggie Hardon would win by miles.
I would say that half of the single mums in Brighton originated from MHardy.

quality mate! my sister went to M Hardy also a single mum for many years but now married.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Addmitedly I had forgotten about Falmer and Scoombe. They're full of nutcases. But if we're talking schools where people actaully learn, then Newman probably are the hardest, but Stringer arent bad.

What are you trying to say.
I would agree that Moulsecoomb Secondary in the 70's was really hard, but I left with 1 x A level, 8 x O levels and 2 x CSE's, as well as attaining Grade 8 in a musical discipline which enabled me to play in the Brighton Youth Orchestra.
I went on to get a degree in Engineering and am doing ok thank you.
Before you start thinking that I am geeky, I also won a Brighton School boys boxing title and fought in the Judo nationals school team, I was also a regular in the football and rugby teams.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Moulsecoomb Secondary and often reflect on it.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
What are you trying to say.
I would agree that Moulsecoomb Secondary in the 70's was really hard, but I left with 1 x A level, 8 x O levels and 2 x CSE's, as well as attaining Grade 8 in a musical discipline which enabled me to play in the Brighton Youth Orchestra.
I went on to get a degree in Engineering and am doing ok thank you.
Before you start thinking that I am geeky, I also won a Brighton School boys boxing title and fought in the Judo nationals school team, I was also a regular in the football and rugby teams.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Moulsecoomb Secondary and often reflect on it.

Imagine trying to organise a interschool boxing match now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports