Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Harbingers of Doom?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

At 59, with one grandchild here and another one on the way in less than 2 months, coming across things like this on the internet is a tad worrying.

I appreciate social media has created a broadchurch of opinions, and the internet effectively gives every crank who can use a computer a platform, but are we that close to society breaking down?

I sincerely hope not.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think the phrase from Terminator is "No Fate".

The future isn't fixed and has many possibilities. No point in wasting time worrying about one of them.

This is a money making video and it does what it is designed to do and generates revenue. Anything beyond that is crystal ball gazing.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

At 59, with one grandchild here and another one on the way in less than 2 months, coming across things like this on the internet is a tad worrying.

I appreciate social media has created a broadchurch of opinions, and the internet effectively gives every crank who can use a computer a platform, but are we that close to society breaking down?

I sincerely hope not.

All the time people like Trump have an audience I will despair for humanity.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Don't think it is out of the question at all, in fact, I think it's absolutely inevitable. The basic concept of infinite growth on a finite planet clearly doesn't work. The 17 years part is the bit I hope it's wrong about.

I think humans missed the boat on preserving the species long-term by faffing about with religion for the last 2000 years when we should have been exploring the cosmos. We could have been way further ahead of where we are, which might have been enough to either find enough resources to sustain the last 100 years of insane population growth long-term, or found alternative places for us to live.

I'm fairly sure humans are completely f***ed in the long-term, presumably like countless other civilisations across the Universe have been when they've got to this stage of development.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"[MIT's] study, conducted a long time ago, concluded that a collapse will occur in 2040."

FFS. File under 'bullshit'.

Still, at least no-one else is saying stuff like that.

Oh...

:FFSPuncheon

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was convinced when I got up on January 1st 2000, that I would be dressing in a silver jumpsuit, my breakfast would be in the form of a pill, I would jump into my hover car to go to work, and my work colleagues would be humanoid robots.

That didn’t happen either.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
All the time people like Trump have an audience I will despair for humanity.
Me too - just as I despair of people here who don't have a pot to p*ss in, but are convinced that public-school-educated millionaires like Farage, Johnson, and Rees-Mogg genuinely care about them.

I've voted Green sometimes, but these days, part of me thinks that maybe the human race deserves to be wiped-out; it contains too many brainless idiots and aggressive/violent scum. Then I hate myself for thinking that way.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Hmmm knowing our luck we'll qualify for the champions league in 2039-40 season.,mind you going by the most promising prediction of less people decline it should help non season ticket holders actually get a ticket for a London awayday,so every cloud 👍

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I was convinced when I got up on January 1st 2000, that I would be dressing in a silver jumpsuit, my breakfast would be in the form of a pill, I would jump into my hover car to go to work, and my work colleagues would be humanoid robots.

That didn’t happen either.
Ah, so you also watched Tomorrow's World - we'd be flying to work in two minutes with jet-packs on our backs!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Whenever people start giving dates for the end of days I switch off, although this may have some credibility (MIT) it is really no different to all the religious nutters who have been predicting the apocalypse since time began - they have all been wrong and we are still here.

As the old joke goes if the world does end make sure you're standing close to Alex Ferguson, he always gets an extra 5 minutes added time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I sincerely hope not.

You have now polluted your youtube algorithm and will be fed mad shite forever. 😿

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably going to be a meteorite that nails the planet that we don't see coming.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here