Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Happy 'You know what' Everyone

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Didn't George usurp the position of Patron Saint and relegate St Edmund (who was English being King of East Anglia) sponsored by a member of a French family that ruled England at the time ?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
We got a hospital named after him but tbf I have absolutely no idea who it was or what he did (he killed a dragon? Thats good.. I guess) or why he should be celebrated... but happy bithday (?) to him.

More that he died rather than recant his faith becoming a Roman Soldier Christian martyr and a big thing back in the days of mass sky fairy worship. Of course this didnt stop us doing exactly the same thing with Joan of Arc repeating the process.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I am so confused by the way people react to St. Patricks day and St. Georges day, neither were from their countries that they are celebrated in. It's a weird thing this self hatred England have adopted over recent years.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It should be noted that St Andrew wasn’t Scottish and St Patrick wasn't Irish. The patron saint doesn’t have to come from the country who adopts him; he just has to embody the values of that country, or one’s it would like.

We like fighting in England, so we chose a warrior saint.

Fighting seems to popular all over the place https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronages_of_Saint_George

St George beer.jpg

This beer would probably be a good seller, going down well with patriots as well as hipsters.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Didn't George usurp the position of Patron Saint and relegate St Edmund (who was English being King of East Anglia) sponsored by a member of a French family that ruled England at the time ?

No, the other way round. St George was briefly usurped by St Edmund, but just for the reign of one monarch.

Ironically, St Edmund was the patron saint of pandemics.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Hadn't spotted it until I saw the thread - bad Englishman. Very happy to drink too much on St Patricks and I'm not Irish at all

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am so confused by the way people react to St. Patricks day and St. Georges day, neither were from their countries that they are celebrated in. It's a weird thing this self hatred England have adopted over recent years.

To be fair, St Patrick spent probably the majority of his life in Ireland.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Did you think of that all by yourself?

What does it mean? Anything worthwhile?

It's the kind of thing wellquickwoody finds hilario! Have a look on twitter or similar for the hashtag, think gammon. Par for the course for wqw and his distinctly dodgy views.

[tweet]1253320038343270401[/tweet]

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
has anyone ever actually attempted to stop people from celebrating this?

see also: christmas

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
has anyone ever actually attempted to stop people from celebrating this?

see also: christmas

Don't forget Easter Eggs that don't mention easter! :rant: :ffsparr:

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here