Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Happy St George's day

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Enjoyed my first pub visit yesterday around Shoreham. I found The Buck to be the most well run and easy-going. No booking required in the afternoon, a delight. And they let us have the table we were sat at for as long as we like. Maybe because it's my regular but they seemed to be happy for anyone to come in and find a table. Following restrictions, obvs.
It's one of my favourites anyway but they have handled all incarnations of covid restrictions absolutely superbly and with the minimum of fuss.

The C&A were pleasant enough seeing as I had just walked in without booking but rather begrudging.

The Bridge was okay. Forgot how expensive it is though. £5.80 for a pint of Peroni :eek:but not very comfortable. As a walk in I was seated at the step wall on a bar stool. Fair enough but annoying seeing tables empty reserved for an hour's time. It was mostly silver haired boomers, eating crab salads and looking very chuffed with themselves. White wine sippers. Bugger off out of it, the real drinkers are here!

So, The Buck is the best so far. Welly next week. Always good but I think I'll book. Yesterday we decided on the spur of the moment so didn't have time to book. I ****ing hate having to book to sit in a pub garden, it's actually pointless as well and will inevitably lose the pubs money. But Boomers like to book, don't they. Get their place confirmed, the "me first" generation. As long as they are sorted.

Sorry? St George's day? Oh I don't think so, Dear.

Out of interest how long have you been a regular at the Buck

Used to be my local many years ago.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Out of interest how long have you been a regular at the Buck

Used to be my local many years ago.

I have been going there for about twenty years off and on and became a regular about five years ago. Keith is one of the nicest landlords around.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's St George’s day – a chance to celebrate England's patron saint, and, for some sanctimonious characters, it's also an opportunity to berate people by reminding them who St George really was. But there's a problem with those determined to lecture others: they're getting their facts wrong.

In recent years, a peculiar narrative has taken hold among seemingly well educated people, who have suddenly discovered that St George was a 'Turkish soldier', an 'Arab' whose mother was Palestinian, or – perhaps the most absurd claim – 'a migrant worker from the Middle East' who would be 'banned' from the UK.

The problem with these claims is that none of them are true. And those peddling these stories should know better.

It was Alice Roberts, president of Humanists UK and professor of public engagement in science at the University of Birmingham, who told her 300,000 followers on Twitter:

'In the third century, a Turkish Roman soldier joined a growing cult and was executed for it, inspiring other martyrs. When the cult later became the official religion of the Roman Empire, the soldier inspired a popular cult of his own in Palestine...'

And it was Kevin Maguire, associate editor of the Mirror, who said:

'Happy St George’s Day, a day plastic patriots and racists ignore St George was a migrant worker from and in the Middle East who they’d ban from a UK he never visited anyway.'

As for the extraordinary claim that St George was an Arab? That was made by Jack Straw writing in the Guardian.

The issue here is that St George was actually Greek. His father was a Greek from Cappadochia, inhabited by Greeks (amongst others) since time immemorial. It took a brutal war and a genocide before Greeks were removed from the region in the early 20th century.

His mother, too, was a Greek Christian – from Palestine – where you’d also find Greek communities in those times. To call him Turkish is absurd, as the Turks would not arrive in the area for centuries. And being from the Middle East definitely doesn’t make you automatically an Arab. As for 'migrant worker', I had no idea that was how members of the Roman Praetorian guard should be described.

It's a pity that those determined to wind up people who are keen on celebrating St George's Day should be so sloppy on acknowledging the historical facts. After all, the basic details about St George's life are easily found on publicly available sources, even on Wikipedia.

Instead, this 'progressive' presentation of a man who lived and died thousands of years ago has become a tool in the great play of point-scoring, through what I suspect is wilful misinterpretation, because St George being simply 'Greek' is not enough. Instead, we have to reach for some other, more Middle Eastern origin story, it seems, even if it’s not true. Why? Because the point is to make your opponents angry, not to inform the public. As a result, all of those involved – the Greeks, the Turks, the Arabs, St George himself – are objectified and turned into mere props.

At the time of St George’s martyrdom, Christians faced extreme violence and persecution. His story made him the protector saint of not only England, but also Venice, Genoa, Portugal, Ethiopia and Catalonia among others. His life and death means something for people well beyond England, and well beyond the here and now. But who cares about the facts when you can make a cheap point on Twitter?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-the-st-george-s-day-bores-get-wrong

Someone will be along soon telling me he didn't really kill a Dragon as they don't exist .... see Game of Thrones a historical documentary.

Basic facts about his life ? I did look things up, only to find out that the earliest solid references are around a century or so later. So basically, like most of this ancient stuff, no-one knows the truth and often there is likely no truth anyway.

It's probably the reason one of the reasons why so many find St George's Day a bit silly and so few pay any attention. The main reason for me, as for many others too, is the reserve of proclaiming national pride. This is probably because the 'flag' has been hijacked over the years.

You see, a lot of us who scoff at St George are actually quietly happy to be English. We just don't understand why it is so important to some to make an issue of it. I'm English, great, full breakfast, village cricket and jolly hockey sticks. No issue with that. I'll be watching Euro 2021 and cheering us on.

I just seem to like other nations as much as my own though.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I have been going there for about twenty years off and on and became a regular about five years ago. Keith is one of the nicest landlords around.

I used to go when Brian and Christine ran it they moved on and Alan took over.

After Alan some idiots took over i forget their names but that's where they got Kelly the barmaid who then took over with Keith.

Not been in there for a few years now 8/9 maybe but yes Keith is a good landlord.

Does his oldest son still work there i forget his name.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I used to go when Brian and Christine ran it they moved on and Alan took over.

After Alan some idiots took over i forget their names but that's where they got Kelly the barmaid who then took over with Keith.

Not been in there for a few years now 8/9 maybe but yes Keith is a good landlord.

Does his oldest son still work there i forget his name.

I don't think so. Not since I've been going in regularly I don't think. He's got good bar staff in there though and low staff turnover. Always a good sign.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Basic facts about his life ? I did look things up, only to find out that the earliest solid references are around a century or so later. So basically, like most of this ancient stuff, no-one knows the truth and often there is likely no truth anyway.

It's probably the reason one of the reasons why so many find St George's Day a bit silly and so few pay any attention. The main reason for me, as for many others too, is the reserve of proclaiming national pride. This is probably because the 'flag' has been hijacked over the years.

You see, a lot of us who scoff at St George are actually quietly happy to be English. We just don't understand why it is so important to some to make an issue of it. I'm English, great, full breakfast, village cricket and jolly hockey sticks. No issue with that. I'll be watching Euro 2021 and cheering us on.

I just seem to like other nations as much as my own though.

There's a lot going on in your head there. The Scots, Irish and Welsh can all have a celebratory day without tedious lectures and sniping from the usual suspects. As my comment at the end of my previous post suggests I don't take it that seriously either. Probably best to let us enjoy the day and move on with your lives.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's a lot going on in your head there. The Scots, Irish and Welsh can all have a celebratory day without tedious lectures and sniping from the usual suspects. As my comment at the end of my previous post suggests I don't take it that seriously either. Probably best to let us enjoy the day and move on with your lives.

It’s probably because you get so wound up about it that people have a dig. I mean, 23:54hrs, six minutes to go of the day and you’re still upset. As you say, best to move on.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

I'm intrigued and not a little excited by the implication that Brighton Lines is a cat.

I'd also suggest that if you were really into the whole St George and being English being so great thing then you wouldn't be concerned by any sniping from any suspects, since you'd be comfortable enough in your own sense of self not to be bothered by other people's opinions.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm intrigued and not a little excited by the implication that Brighton Lines is a cat.

I'd also suggest that if you were really into the whole St George and being English being so great thing then you wouldn't be concerned by any sniping from any suspects, since you'd be comfortable enough in your own sense of self not to be bothered by other people's opinions.

The only reason I'm here at 0245 is because I've just got in from a stroll on the verge outside and I've been sitting on my humans bed pawing their nose to get the bugger to feed me. They won't wake up. Good job I've got the PC nearby.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

My point, badly made, is that the usual suspects are the ones who make others shy away from any such celebrations. It's getting very circular.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Good comment! There are many things to love about this country (as is true of many if not all nations); jingoistic nationalism isn't one of them.

Jan 30, 2008
The only reason I'm here at 0245 is because I've just got in from a stroll on the verge outside and I've been sitting on my humans bed pawing their nose to get the bugger to feed me. They won't wake up. Good job I've got the PC nearby.

Or looking for a Tom ?
Regards
DF

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We’re one of the nations that have a day for an ancient ‘saint’ eg Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Spain/Catalonia celebrate today too,

Options - Battle of Britain, Trafalgar, Waterloo? But each would be wracked with arguments in the new climate of condemning our past.

Fewer to choose from as other countries sometimes have a day celebrating independence from tyranny - Bastile, Independence.

We should select Bday of Queen as a national holiday, for now and evermore as the longest best monarch in our history. Even the woke and republican brigade can’t find fault with her. She is the ultimate Teflon in a lovely way. An extraordinary human being whose memory will never diminish generations after we’re all gone.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Enjoyed my first pub visit yesterday around Shoreham. I found The Buck to be the most well run and easy-going. No booking required in the afternoon, a delight. And they let us have the table we were sat at for as long as we like. Maybe because it's my regular but they seemed to be happy for anyone to come in and find a table. Following restrictions, obvs.
It's one of my favourites anyway but they have handled all incarnations of covid restrictions absolutely superbly and with the minimum of fuss.

The C&A were pleasant enough seeing as I had just walked in without booking but rather begrudging.

The Bridge was okay. Forgot how expensive it is though. £5.80 for a pint of Peroni :eek:but not very comfortable. As a walk in I was seated at the step wall on a bar stool. Fair enough but annoying seeing tables empty reserved for an hour's time. It was mostly silver haired boomers, eating crab salads and looking very chuffed with themselves. White wine sippers. Bugger off out of it, the real drinkers are here!

So, The Buck is the best so far. Welly next week. Always good but I think I'll book. Yesterday we decided on the spur of the moment so didn't have time to book. I ****ing hate having to book to sit in a pub garden, it's actually pointless as well and will inevitably lose the pubs money. But Boomers like to book, don't they. Get their place confirmed, the "me first" generation. As long as they are sorted.

Sorry? St George's day? Oh I don't think so, Dear.

Boomers are selfish because they like to book ahead? Sake man, that’s as ridiculous a reason for hating a demographic as it is because of their skin colour or gender persuasion. Get a grip and stop being so silly.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Boomers are selfish because they like to book ahead? Sake man, that’s as ridiculous a reason for hating a demographic as it is because of their skin colour or gender persuasion. Get a grip and stop being so silly.

He’s on the wind up, don’t give him the nibble he was looking for[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Try not to take it all so seriously, darling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here