Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Happy St George's day

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:lolol:

I did wonder whether PPF would surface on this special of days.

It brings so much joy to my heart that we celebrate the positive impact of this Palestinian immigrant on our lives. Nobody can underestimate the terror those dragons brought to our lives. I lost five fictional ancestors in the Dragon massacres of 277.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The patron Saint of...
England
Georgia
Portugal
Brazil
Russia
Serbia
Bulgaria
Brazil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Name that tune and I'll do it for you :smile:.

(Assuming I've not been whooshed :lolol:):

Or, go to youtube, find the video you like, left click on Share, left click on copy and then you can click on the 'x' to close that popup.

Then in NSC open a new message, left click on the cinefilm icon above, right click over the long white box and paste, and OK it.

Why thank you kind sir.

Please enjoy the emotion.

https://youtu.be/2YTKeeri7Xc

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The patron Saint of...
England
Georgia
Portugal
Brazil
Russia
Serbia
Bulgaria
Brazil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Portugal or Brazil in the semi-finals if we get past Georgia.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Born in modern day Turkey of Greek parents.
Also the patron saint of Ethiopia.
Never set foot in England.
At least the Welsh and Irish have patron saints who lived and worked in their countries.

Let's not talk this great country down ???

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Born in modern day Turkey of Greek parents.
Also the patron saint of Ethiopia.
Never set foot in England.
At least the Welsh and Irish have patron saints who lived and worked in their countries.

As long as he wasn’t French I’m not bothered about the above. :)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's St George’s day – a chance to celebrate England's patron saint, and, for some sanctimonious characters, it's also an opportunity to berate people by reminding them who St George really was. But there's a problem with those determined to lecture others: they're getting their facts wrong.

In recent years, a peculiar narrative has taken hold among seemingly well educated people, who have suddenly discovered that St George was a 'Turkish soldier', an 'Arab' whose mother was Palestinian, or – perhaps the most absurd claim – 'a migrant worker from the Middle East' who would be 'banned' from the UK.

The problem with these claims is that none of them are true. And those peddling these stories should know better.

It was Alice Roberts, president of Humanists UK and professor of public engagement in science at the University of Birmingham, who told her 300,000 followers on Twitter:

'In the third century, a Turkish Roman soldier joined a growing cult and was executed for it, inspiring other martyrs. When the cult later became the official religion of the Roman Empire, the soldier inspired a popular cult of his own in Palestine...'

And it was Kevin Maguire, associate editor of the Mirror, who said:

'Happy St George’s Day, a day plastic patriots and racists ignore St George was a migrant worker from and in the Middle East who they’d ban from a UK he never visited anyway.'

As for the extraordinary claim that St George was an Arab? That was made by Jack Straw writing in the Guardian.

The issue here is that St George was actually Greek. His father was a Greek from Cappadochia, inhabited by Greeks (amongst others) since time immemorial. It took a brutal war and a genocide before Greeks were removed from the region in the early 20th century.

His mother, too, was a Greek Christian – from Palestine – where you’d also find Greek communities in those times. To call him Turkish is absurd, as the Turks would not arrive in the area for centuries. And being from the Middle East definitely doesn’t make you automatically an Arab. As for 'migrant worker', I had no idea that was how members of the Roman Praetorian guard should be described.

It's a pity that those determined to wind up people who are keen on celebrating St George's Day should be so sloppy on acknowledging the historical facts. After all, the basic details about St George's life are easily found on publicly available sources, even on Wikipedia.

Instead, this 'progressive' presentation of a man who lived and died thousands of years ago has become a tool in the great play of point-scoring, through what I suspect is wilful misinterpretation, because St George being simply 'Greek' is not enough. Instead, we have to reach for some other, more Middle Eastern origin story, it seems, even if it’s not true. Why? Because the point is to make your opponents angry, not to inform the public. As a result, all of those involved – the Greeks, the Turks, the Arabs, St George himself – are objectified and turned into mere props.

At the time of St George’s martyrdom, Christians faced extreme violence and persecution. His story made him the protector saint of not only England, but also Venice, Genoa, Portugal, Ethiopia and Catalonia among others. His life and death means something for people well beyond England, and well beyond the here and now. But who cares about the facts when you can make a cheap point on Twitter?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-the-st-george-s-day-bores-get-wrong

Someone will be along soon telling me he didn't really kill a Dragon as they don't exist .... see Game of Thrones a historical documentary.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's St George’s day – a chance to celebrate England's patron saint, and, for some sanctimonious characters, it's also an opportunity to berate people by reminding them who St George really was. But there's a problem with those determined to lecture others: they're getting their facts wrong.

In recent years, a peculiar narrative has taken hold among seemingly well educated people, who have suddenly discovered that St George was a 'Turkish soldier', an 'Arab' whose mother was Palestinian, or – perhaps the most absurd claim – 'a migrant worker from the Middle East' who would be 'banned' from the UK.

The problem with these claims is that none of them are true. And those peddling these stories should know better.

It was Alice Roberts, president of Humanists UK and professor of public engagement in science at the University of Birmingham, who told her 300,000 followers on Twitter:

'In the third century, a Turkish Roman soldier joined a growing cult and was executed for it, inspiring other martyrs. When the cult later became the official religion of the Roman Empire, the soldier inspired a popular cult of his own in Palestine...'

And it was Kevin Maguire, associate editor of the Mirror, who said:

'Happy St George’s Day, a day plastic patriots and racists ignore St George was a migrant worker from and in the Middle East who they’d ban from a UK he never visited anyway.'

As for the extraordinary claim that St George was an Arab? That was made by Jack Straw writing in the Guardian.

The issue here is that St George was actually Greek. His father was a Greek from Cappadochia, inhabited by Greeks (amongst others) since time immemorial. It took a brutal war and a genocide before Greeks were removed from the region in the early 20th century.

His mother, too, was a Greek Christian – from Palestine – where you’d also find Greek communities in those times. To call him Turkish is absurd, as the Turks would not arrive in the area for centuries. And being from the Middle East definitely doesn’t make you automatically an Arab. As for 'migrant worker', I had no idea that was how members of the Roman Praetorian guard should be described.

It's a pity that those determined to wind up people who are keen on celebrating St George's Day should be so sloppy on acknowledging the historical facts. After all, the basic details about St George's life are easily found on publicly available sources, even on Wikipedia.

Instead, this 'progressive' presentation of a man who lived and died thousands of years ago has become a tool in the great play of point-scoring, through what I suspect is wilful misinterpretation, because St George being simply 'Greek' is not enough. Instead, we have to reach for some other, more Middle Eastern origin story, it seems, even if it’s not true. Why? Because the point is to make your opponents angry, not to inform the public. As a result, all of those involved – the Greeks, the Turks, the Arabs, St George himself – are objectified and turned into mere props.

At the time of St George’s martyrdom, Christians faced extreme violence and persecution. His story made him the protector saint of not only England, but also Venice, Genoa, Portugal, Ethiopia and Catalonia among others. His life and death means something for people well beyond England, and well beyond the here and now. But who cares about the facts when you can make a cheap point on Twitter?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-the-st-george-s-day-bores-get-wrong

Someone will be along soon telling me he didn't really kill a Dragon as they don't exist .... see Game of Thrones a historical documentary.

In other words, it’s George the bubble [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 30, 2008
:lolol:

I did wonder whether PPF would surface on this special of days.

It brings so much joy to my heart that we celebrate the positive impact of this Palestinian immigrant on our lives. Nobody can underestimate the terror those dragons brought to our lives. I lost five fictional ancestors in the Dragon massacres of 277.

Nice to know you were thinking about me hun x
Regards
DF

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nice to know you were thinking about me hun x
Regards
DF

I'm so pleased that you recognise why it was so important to grant George asylum.

There was no call for dragon slayers at the time so he wouldn't have passed a points based system.

Much love x

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
England hasn’t much to be proud of right now.

Cheer up, grumpy bollocks.

We have a wealth of traditional English festivals. Plough Monday, Hocktide, Mid-Summer to name but a few. I doubt most of the flag waving porkers would know a thing about them.

I doubt they know much about St. George either.

Last edited:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'm happy to have a holiday for today if that's on offer, or a St Alban's day, or even a St Cuthbert's day (though that's a bit earlier in the year). Trafalgar day is no good because that's Britain and I think it would be good to have a English rather than British day.

April the 23rd is a good idea for that as it is usually nice weather and those who don't care about or want to bore on about the Greek origins of George himself can celebrate the birthday of Shakespeare instead.

Shakespeare demonstrates those excellent English virtues of knowing which way the wind is blowing: writing great stuff about England in 1590s and then - after James I arrives - changing his tune to go on about how great Britain is instead.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Having recently discovered I am second generation German from Frankfurt & Bad Sobernheim areas, I am not sure I can partake in this show of patriotism or throw plastic chairs at random foreign folk here or aboard.

#ConfusedAnglosaxon

Plastic chairs aren't thrown, they're LUZZED.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here