Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Happy St George's day

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s an interesting discussion and decisions about what to celebrate can be fraught with issues and often quite divisive. But, very recently Berlin wanted to add a new public holiday to redress the balance with more religious landers which have numerous days off related to Big J. We wanted something modern and progressive and went for International Women’s Day. My point being is that the UK could celebrate a more modern “Saint” who brings people together?

Saint Nigel :fishing:

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Born in modern day Turkey of Greek parents.
Also the patron saint of Ethiopia.
Never set foot in England.
At least the Welsh and Irish have patron saints who lived and worked in their countries.

Catalonia love a bit of St George. I was in Barcelona a few years back and wondered why the flag was everywhere, but they've nicked him as well!

I tend to find some amusement in people who are not particuraly fond of foreigners getting angry about England not being over enthusiastic about celebrating a foreigner who slayed a non existent creature. Each to their own.

A more relevent national day may encourage a bit more participation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do like a bit of Vera, land of hope and glory.

What could be a better choice now?

Wish I knew how to post a video like you have.

Name that tune and I'll do it for you :smile:.

(Assuming I've not been whooshed :lolol:):

Or, go to youtube, find the video you like, left click on Share, left click on copy and then you can click on the 'x' to close that popup.

Then in NSC open a new message, left click on the cinefilm icon above, right click over the long white box and paste, and OK it.

Happy St George’s Day - Worthing E24DD417-5928-4688-8449-AED9A836CCF9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Really not a great deal to celebrate given our history and present situation but I am going to the pub later for the first time in 8 months which is something to be pleased about.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A day never passes without my thinking of the Queen of hearts.
My wife still has her small china pot on our mantelpiece that she bought on a day at Alphorpe House.
She objected to me putting my weed in there.
It now contains a dice, the broken hand off an old Lladro figurine ( dismissed to the loft since she became disabled ....I know I know )and a pair of nail clippers.
So yes how could we forget her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The weather's usually quite likely to be good on June 23rd .................. :fishing:

:lolol:

That’s the week of Glastonbury and Wimbledon.....100% nailed on does the Pope wear a funny hat guaranteed to rain.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No problem with that, but surely there must be something slightly more recent and interesting than this St George bloke?

What we need is something that brings English people together but which we never seem to be able to let go.

Sir Geoff Hurst day on 30th July every year?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What we need is something that brings English people together but which we never seem to be able to let go.

The ESL pretty much achieved this aim. I’m not quite sure how, who or what can symbolize this though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The ESL pretty much achieved this aim. I’m not quite sure how, who or what can symbolize this though.

Well we do love a bonfire. Perhaps we can burn effigies of Florentino Perez?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Enjoyed my first pub visit yesterday around Shoreham. I found The Buck to be the most well run and easy-going. No booking required in the afternoon, a delight. And they let us have the table we were sat at for as long as we like. Maybe because it's my regular but they seemed to be happy for anyone to come in and find a table. Following restrictions, obvs.
It's one of my favourites anyway but they have handled all incarnations of covid restrictions absolutely superbly and with the minimum of fuss.

The C&A were pleasant enough seeing as I had just walked in without booking but rather begrudging.

The Bridge was okay. Forgot how expensive it is though. £5.80 for a pint of Peroni :eek:but not very comfortable. As a walk in I was seated at the step wall on a bar stool. Fair enough but annoying seeing tables empty reserved for an hour's time. It was mostly silver haired boomers, eating crab salads and looking very chuffed with themselves. White wine sippers. Bugger off out of it, the real drinkers are here!

So, The Buck is the best so far. Welly next week. Always good but I think I'll book. Yesterday we decided on the spur of the moment so didn't have time to book. I ****ing hate having to book to sit in a pub garden, it's actually pointless as well and will inevitably lose the pubs money. But Boomers like to book, don't they. Get their place confirmed, the "me first" generation. As long as they are sorted.

Sorry? St George's day? Oh I don't think so, Dear.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Enjoyed my first pub visit yesterday around Shoreham. I found The Buck to be the most well run and easy-going. No booking required in the afternoon, a delight. And they let us have the table we were sat at for as long as we like. Maybe because it's my regular but they seemed to be happy for anyone to come in and find a table. Following restrictions, obvs.
It's one of my favourites anyway but they have handled all incarnations of covid restrictions absolutely superbly and with the minimum of fuss.

The C&A were pleasant enough seeing as I had just walked in without booking but rather begrudging.

The Bridge was okay. Forgot how expensive it is though. £5.80 for a pint of Peroni :eek:but not very comfortable. As a walk in I was seated at the step wall on a bar stool. Fair enough but annoying seeing tables empty reserved for an hour's time. It was mostly silver haired boomers, eating crab salads and looking very chuffed with themselves. White wine sippers. Bugger off out of it, the real drinkers are here!

So, The Buck is the best so far. Welly next week. Always good but I think I'll book. Yesterday we decided on the spur of the moment so didn't have time to book. I ****ing hate having to book to sit in a pub garden, it's actually pointless as well and will inevitably lose the pubs money. But Boomers like to book, don't they. Get their place confirmed, the "me first" generation. As long as they are sorted.

Sorry? St George's day? Oh I don't think so, Dear.

Buck off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here