Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy St George's Day

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone actually do anything to celebrate St Georges Day?

And let's not forget the annual discussion about a bank holiday, why we don't celebrate it like St Pats Day and St George being a Turk.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
And let's not forget the annual discussion about a bank holiday, why we don't celebrate it like St Pats Day and St George being a Turk.

He was Greek, dear boy, Greek.

In other news, the first Ramones album was released 37 years ago today. 37!

So St George's Day, the day that links Shakespeare and The Ramones. ;)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was Greek, dear boy, Greek.

In other news, the first Ramones album was released 37 years ago today. 37!

So St George's Day, the day that links Shakespeare and The Ramones. ;)

Oh dear, Greek then (hangs head in shame)

I quite like the idea of a linage from Shakespeare to The Ramones...1,2,3,4!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Joey Ramone was The Bard for the 20th Century.

Indeed. Great band, saw them live a few times, 4 I think. First time was as a teen at The Top Ranke Suite.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Indeed. Great band, saw them live a few times, 4 I think. First time was as a teen at The Top Ranke Suite.

4 times for me too - first one being near Christmas 1977.

Now I wanna sniff some glue
Now I wanna have something to do
All the kids wanna sniff some glue
All the kids want something to do

Shakespeare, and St George, would have been proud.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And perhaps we could remember that to love ones country doesn't automatically mean that you have to hate ever other country. And I am with the "Jerusalem"
as National Anthem lobby as well.

Jerusalem for me as well. GSTQ is used in the Olympics, because it is the UK anthem.
In the Commonwealth games when England has it's own team, Jerusalem is used. I believe the English Hockey team also play Jerusalem.
England football team, GSTQ, why?. Mind you England often play in Blue, whilst most countries (not all) play in the colours of their flag.
I could not believe it when England played the Swiss at Wembley, the St George flags were out, Red and White everywhere, including the Swiss who play in red with white.......England the HOME team....what colour did we play in.....Blue!
Happy St Georges Day.
Drinc Hael

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am all for the national anthem remaining as GSTQ but if it is to be changed there is only one or two alternatives and that is not Jerusalem but Land of Hope and Glory or I vow to thee my country from Jupiter

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
At international test cricket matches, England has, since 2003, used "Jerusalem" as its entrance anthem.

At the Commonwealth Games, Team England uses "Jerusalem" as the victory anthem from 2010 onwards.

At international lacrosse matches, the England Women's team uses "Jerusalem" as the national anthem

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
england-door.jpg

Ah, The view of a row of City stockbrokers weekend retreats, out of the price range and aspirations of 98% of us British.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ah, The view of a row of City stockbrokers weekend retreats, out of the price range and aspirations of 98% of us British.

Ah, the sound of someone who has a range of scapegoats from thatcher , to the pantomime villain "city stockbroker" to disguise his own deficiencies,which are no doubt to blame for his dissatisfaction with his life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah, the sound of someone who has a range of scapegoats from thatcher , to the pantomime villain "city stockbroker" to disguise his own deficiencies,which are no doubt to blame for his dissatisfaction with his life.

Bloody self-loathers eh Bushy?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Wow ! only on NSC can you get a psychologist who will give you an online evaluation for free !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow ! only on NSC can you get a psychologist who will give you an online evaluation for free !

He seems to only have the single diagnosis though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here