Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Happy Ride To Work Week

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have to go from the bedroom, up 7 stairs to my office. I cannot see it would be particularly easy to ride up them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Doesn't this woman know 'No Cycling is allowed on the promenade' also not wearing a safety helmet, and only dark coloured clothing so won't be seen in the dark.

Should've taken the bus :lolol:

..............and, as is usual with cyclists, riding in the MIDDLE of the thoroughfare, risking the safety of the pedestrians. She's probably bellowing 'get out of my way you ****ing ****s' as she goes past the defenceless women and children, too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to go from the bedroom, up 7 stairs to my office. I cannot see it would be particularly easy to ride up them.

That's not much of an excuse

What could possibly go wrong.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I cover the whole of the south of England and Wales in my duties. If you think I'm cycling you're mad.

I drive over 800 miles in an average week.

Not quite the amount of miles you are doing but between business and recreation I'm doing close to 500 miles per week and none of it is cycling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd imagine that the thought process behind the ad is to illustrate that even somebody who is likely very conscious of their appearance - of what looks good on them - STILL understands that the safety benefits of the helmet outweigh such considerations.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think I have contributed, just done a 50 mile round trip on the Downs Link.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not quite the amount of miles you are doing but between business and recreation I'm doing close to 500 miles per week and none of it is cycling.

Do you also live next to a motorway slip road and only alight said motorways onto country lanes?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I ride nearly every morning after buying a bike on the cycle to work scheme through work. Never owned a mountain bike with suspension before.

Some days I have a day off but only hangover dependent.

I started going shortest route to work. About half a mile.

Now I do a 6.5 mile route around most of Burgess hill that is 50/50 on and off road to keep it interesting.

It was lovely this morning although it was a bit chilly.

Up at 4.50am. 20 mins faffing about and getting ready. On the bike at 5.15.

6.5 miles, started in the dark, arrived in the daylight and saw a nice sunrise. Feeling a bit knackered but recover quicker now I've been doing it a while.

Been a bit brutal over winter in the freeze we had over jan/Feb. Not nice getting up at that time anyway and harder back then. Seen plenty of wildlife though and regularly meet rabbit, foxes and the occasional badger when going through the woods.

Also seen a couple of owls glide past in the glare from my helmet light.

A couple of weeks ago I rounded a blind corner in the woods next to a field. I turned the corner and was greeted by two Fallow deer standing there. As I rode towards them they wanted to get to the other side of me and back to the woods but my pace meant they ran along side me for 30 odd yards before accelerating and leaping over the bushes.

Cycling has its perks. I'm a little fitter, but not lighter. Saving a fortune on petrol too. A full tank is lasting 6 weeks instead of 2. Im actually considering selling my car now. Cant justify the cost of tax and insurance for it to sit most of the time. I only did 2.5k miles last year in it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I ride nearly every morning after buying a bike on the cycle to work scheme through work. Never owned a mountain bike with suspension before.

Now I do a 6.5 mile route around most of Burgess hill that is 50/50 on and off road to keep it interesting.

6.5 miles, started in the dark, arrived in the daylight and saw a nice sunrise. Feeling a bit knackered but recover quicker now I've been doing it a while.

Been a bit brutal over winter in the freeze we had over jan/Feb. Not nice getting up at that time anyway and harder back then. Seen plenty of wildlife though and regularly meet rabbit, foxes and the occasional badger when going through the woods.

A couple of weeks ago I rounded a blind corner in the woods next to a field. I turned the corner and was greeted by two Fallow deer standing there. As I rode towards them they wanted to get to the other side of me and back to the woods but my pace meant they ran along side me for 30 odd yards before accelerating and leaping over the bushes.

Cycling has its perks. I'm a little fitter, but not lighter. Saving a fortune on petrol too. A full tank is lasting 6 weeks instead of 2. Im actually considering selling my car now. Cant justify the cost of tax and insurance for it to sit most of the time. I only did 2.5k miles last year in it.

The 'animals you've ridden with' sub-thread on Geeks, is always a good read when it comes around.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Do you also live next to a motorway slip road and only alight said motorways onto country lanes?

To my place of employment is all city streets in Darlo. My other business driving is usually to Boro, Leeds, Sheffield, Mancluster, Newcastle, and other big office buildings so motorway driving. My Mrs and I often go for cooking competitions. So there is motorway and country lane driving on many of those trips. I usually hit a pub or two on those trips while my Mrs is cooking along. I never get to the point where drink driving is a problem because I like to talk and eat more than I drink. Now you know why weight is such an issue for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I've been doing a 15 mile round trip a day for the last few years and it's great . I'm way less stressed, fitter and a bit lighter and even though it's in central Tokyo there's no agg from car drivers and it's a very enjoyable ride. It's really very very tough in the summer but got used to it now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Surely the additional amount spent on food outweighs the petrol costs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You need to buy a BMX and learn how to bunny hop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here