Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

happy now paula haters?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
thanks a freaking lot. a great athlete driven to run a race she had no chance of winning. now deeply humiliated.

good on you :dunce:

Last edited:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think people have a problem with her. It is that media which have gone on about it non stop since the marathon and will no doubt do so for several days more.

I haven't watched the Olympics much but have listened to it on Five Live. Coverage of the swimming, rowing, cycling etc has been good and got me interested but since the marathon every other story had been about Paula. TV has been similar.

She lost, so did many others, it's a shame but shit happens - end of story.

thedonkeycentrehalf said:
I don't think people have a problem with her. It is that media which have gone on about it non stop since the marathon and will no doubt do so for several days more.

I haven't watched the Olympics much but have listened to it on Five Live. Coverage of the swimming, rowing, cycling etc has been good and got me interested but since the marathon every other story had been about Paula. TV has been similar.

She lost, so did many others, it's a shame but shit happens - end of story.

Spot on. It's nothing personal against her, it's the totally OTT reaction by our media (the BBC in particular). When she dropped out this evening Five Live stop commontating on the race all together for about five minutes.

Since last Sunday we've had major success with Kelly Holmes and Amir Khan, yet every FACKING day there's been more coverage about Radcliffe than anything else.

STOP PRESS: For f***'S sake. John Inverdale has just moaned that Paula is going to get "taken to the cleaners" by the UK press after this.

:thud:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Safeway said:
Spot on. It's nothing personal against her, it's the totally OTT reaction by our media (the BBC in particular). When she dropped out this evening Five Live stop commontating on the race all together for about five minutes.

Since last Sunday we've had major success with Kelly Holmes and Amir Khan, yet every FACKING day there's been more coverage about Radcliffe than anything else.

STOP PRESS: For f***'S sake. John Inverdale has just moaned that Paula is going to get "taken to the cleaners" by the UK press after this.

:thud:

Nothing personal? You were one of the first to call her an effing failure...

I agree with you abou the press though :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
She was not good enough on the day, so what? I was listening to the horse jumping thingy earlier where Nick Skelton, who broke his neck four years ago just before the Sydney Olympics, needed a clear round or one fence down to have a chance of gold. In true British style he knocked three down, which was a shame, and within 10 seconds Five Live were discussing the womens underwater tiddlywinks final. However when Radcliffe loses we have to sit through something similar to the death of Princess Di.

Bunch of hypocritical arse, journo's are muppets (excluding our lovely Roz and Gwylan of course).

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
El Presidente said:

Bunch of hypocritical arse, journo's are muppets (excluding our lovely Roz and Gwylan of course).

Yes the media are muppets but so are the idiots who slag her off just be cause she failed to finish a race. So what. She wasn't the only one and she didn't choose to be hyped up by the media.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm pleased she took part. You could tell from the very first laps that she wasn't going to herself justice though.

If she hadn't taken part, she would have been slaughtered even more......

But, as mentioned before NO ONE DIED THIS WEEK!

Next week we'll be back to Rooney and Beckham and their uncontrollable trouser snakes! :)

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i laughed, i actually looked for odds on her not finishing the 10k.

i dont give a hoot about her or hher boring sport.

minger with a head that rolls about too much for my liking.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
no duff newsflash from BBC now apparently she may be ill from vertigo!!!

it must be the fear of scaling the heights of the medal rostrum!

Did she actually stop another girl from running as she entered at the last minute..???????

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I really think the media are to blame for this - she is a great runner but it wasn't her day, simple as that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
swindonseagull said:
no duff newsflash from BBC now apparently she may be ill from vertigo!!!

Inbalance of the inner ear, probably due to an infection.

Could explain the head movements :lol:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
sullyupthewing said:
What I want to know is when do these poxy games finish.

Sunday.

On the whole, I've enjoyed them.

Especially as I was on leave from work this week. Great weather eh? :shootself

Tighe11

Nov 15, 2003
Brighton
I think she choked couldn't take the pressure and she hadn't trained well enough buts she aint the only one look at the sprinters the only ones who have impressed me are Holmes, Sotherton and Macey

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Paula haters afters? That's a bit strong, I don't remember anyone saying they hated her. As far as the marathon was concerned she joins a long list of people (not just British and not just marathon runners) who were pre-race favorites and on the day, for whatever reason, just weren't good enough. World Champion, World Record holder, no Olympic medal. She's not the first and she won't be the last

The debate will continue. Was her preparation and training wrong? Was the marathon starting time switched and if so when did she learn about it? Did she 'choke' when she realised her dream of an Olympic medal was fading? That of course is what people usually say about British sportspeople from Henman to cricketers playing Australia.

To my mind the lamest excuse is the start time as it would have applied to all the other competitors. Also when England lost to Brazil in Japan the extreme heat was referred to only in passing. The recieved view is that England lost because they 'choked' (again) and/or because Ericsson scewed up the substitutions.

It's sad but there you go. It's no use people like yourself and the likes of Smudge getting all hysterical because people are questioning why she failed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here