Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Happy Ferris Bueller Day (off)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
No one really knew about Hughes's politics until much later - so looking for all these conservative messages is a reinterpretation anyway. Films like Vacation literally lampoon the ideas of living the dream, the idea of a father not being about to take his kids to Disneyland, it's brilliant because ultimately it's just a film about being a good Dad and husband.

Caddyshack as well completely ridicules the exclusive golf club culture to the extent Trump could be a character within the film.

I don't really know enough have John Hughes further than that, but my personal affection of his films and my own politics would suggest he is taking a huge satirical swing at his own views with his films rather than trying to convey meaningful political messages.
John Hughes didn't make Caddyshack, that was Harold Ramis. Brilliant film.

My favourite of Hughes' is 'Uncle Buck'. I also like 'Trains, Planes & Automobiles'. Less keen on his brat pack films and 'Home Alone', but I'd agree that he wasn't making message films. He was making entertainment and he was unashamed and very good at it.

My point that there wasn't a hidden message in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' surely follows. It was a film about Ferris Bueller. Looking at it from Cameron's viewpoint or even imagining that Ferris is some kind of Tyler Durden of Cameron's own invention, might be interesting as a discussion, but it's after-timing reinterpretation of the likely intent of a film maker who seems to have no history of such postmodern gameplaying in any of his other movies.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Blimey, some people seem to be reading a lot into a movie where people are having some fun in Chicago. And if you look at the scenes when he's on the float in the parade and they're playing "Twist and Shout" an awful lot of people are having fun

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I hate Ferris Bueller. He is a representation of everything that was wrong with the eighties. Style over substance, short-term risk taking with other people's lives, glib charisma mistaken for real worth and a total lack of responsibility for the consequences of actions. He is the embodiment of Maradona's hand of god goal (90s admittedly), of Thatcher's selling off of North Sea Oil and public industry, of Reagan's man of the people act hiding his evil intent. His sister and headteacher were strivers trampled by his selfish psychopathy. He obviously grew up to become Patrick Bateman and his music taste remained just as awful. I may have thought too much about this.
'Hand of God' was the '86 WC wasn't it?

I must admit that I haven't seen the movie in ages, but I did enjoy it back in the day (I wasn't really thinking about the 'message' of it back then and was enjoying the nostalgia of it rather than linking it to awful politics more recently). In fact, back in the day I was mostly just thinking about what I'd like to do to Mia Sara...

You might have just ruined the movie for me, but you can't take away my memories of Sloane Peterson... :)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
'Hand of God' was the '86 WC wasn't it?

I must admit that I haven't seen the movie in ages, but I did enjoy it back in the day (I wasn't really thinking about the 'message' of it back then and was enjoying the nostalgia of it rather than linking it to awful politics more recently). In fact, back in the day I was mostly just thinking about what I'd like to do to Mia Sara...

You might have just ruined the movie for me, but you can't take away my memories of Sloane Peterson... :)
Of course it was. My mistake mixing up my England World Cup tournament resentments. I probably hated 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' because of Stuart Pearce's penalty miss.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Of course it was. My mistake mixing up my England World Cup tournament resentments. I probably hated 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' because of Stuart Pearce's penalty miss.
I was 7, so it was the first WC I remember (and for all the wrong reasons! 😡)

Much happier memories of Italia 90 (for some reason our exit didn't erase the joy of recreating Platt's goal vs Belgium in my mate's back garden, or wanting to be Gary Lineker vs Cameroon :) )

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
John Hughes didn't make Caddyshack, that was Harold Ramis. Brilliant film.

My favourite of Hughes' is 'Uncle Buck'. I also like 'Trains, Planes & Automobiles'. Less keen on his brat pack films and 'Home Alone', but I'd agree that he wasn't making message films. He was making entertainment and he was unashamed and very good at it.

My point that there wasn't a hidden message in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' surely follows. It was a film about Ferris Bueller. Looking at it from Cameron's viewpoint or even imagining that Ferris is some kind of Tyler Durden of Cameron's own invention, might be interesting as a discussion, but it's after-timing reinterpretation of the likely intent of a film maker who seems to have no history of such postmodern gameplaying in any of his other movies.
I never said there was a hidden message. The film is about Ferris, his girlfriend Sloane, and Cameron. It's not aftertiming, they are the principle characters in the film. The film starts with Cameron's horror at taking his Dad's prize car and ends with him destroying it. It's not some secret interpretation, it's in your face.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I never said there was a hidden message. The film is about Ferris, his girlfriend Sloane, and Cameron. It's not aftertiming, they are the principle characters in the film. The film starts with Cameron's horror at taking his Dad's prize car and ends with him destroying it. It's not some secret interpretation, it's in your face.
That's assuming Cam actually exists and is not just a manifestation of Ferris' subconscious.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I know whay I watched the film.

1685981322897.png

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
St Elmo's features some classic stuff. Rob Lowe gets some girl pregnant and cheerfully bins off the relationship to go off playing his sax and travelling or similar, all smiles and the heartthrob hero. Very much of its time. You just wouldn’t get away with that misogynistic film making now.
To be fair , he played the part very well !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some of his films were most definitely “message films”.
They usually had something to say about teenagers’ relationship to adults and kids not adhering to the “established” rules.

The Breakfast Club is full of that bollocks.

But it’s not a very deep message and I much prefer Uncle Buck and PTaA.

As for Ferris? Some very funny moments. The headmaster and his secretary have some great moments. As did the sister.

Broderick and Grey disappeared shortly after filming when they ploughed into another car in rural Ireland while driving on the wrong side of the road, instantly killing the occupants of the other car. Neither of them have been in anything particularly good since.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Imagine PB as the economics teacher on role call.......

Lallana, Lallana.......
Here

Undav, Undav.........
Here

Sanchez, Sanchez, Sanchez........

Girl: "Sanchez is sulking, his best friends sisters boyfriends brothers girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with this girl who saw Robert fall out with RDZ...."

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
John hughes was a genius script writer . He had a thing about Molly Ringwald , she was his muse . So sad he died so young . His films will live on , many of them classics.
I’ll turn a blind eye on Baby’s Day Out and agree with you 100%- he was utterly exceptional as a screenwriter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here