[Music] Happy Birthday Paul Weller!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
His duet with Amy Winehouse on Jools Holland does it for me. Amy.......what a legend, fantastic performance by her & Weller.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
How great would it be if the Jam were to reform for a little tour? Particularly when you think of some of the dross that have jumped on the ' reunion tour ' gravy train.

Of course Weller would never entertain the idea. By contrast a lot of people would pay decent money to see them again and who would begrudge Foxton and Buckler a nice little pension pot?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
That's pretty much my view as well. I know music's subjective and loads (probably the majority) will disagree, but I LOVED the Jam, saw them several times, still play their albums, but his post-Jam stuff .... well it's hard to believe it's the same guy.

Glad I'm not alone!

Thirded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just to be clear. I'm quite keen on a haircut that might be associated with a certain 63 year old songsmith and i'm looking forward to being back in the West Stand Upper very soon. (As is Graham Potter i notice).

Talking of late vintage Weller - this was terrific from 2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz4DUc7QL_E

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
How great would it be if the Jam were to reform for a little tour? Particularly when you think of some of the dross that have jumped on the ' reunion tour ' gravy train.

Of course Weller would never entertain the idea. By contrast a lot of people would pay decent money to see them again and who would begrudge Foxton and Buckler a nice little pension pot?

Whilst I totally agree with the sentiment, Weller's longevity is a lot down to the fact that he has accepted his age, and the music has tended to adapt accordingly.

The thought of 65 year-olds prancing to In the City is cringe worthy, they would look as pathetic as The Rolling Stones.

Weller does do Jam songs, but in a manner more suiting his mature years.

Absolutely LOVE this arrangement.

The Jam should be remembered as the greatest of their generation. Those times have gone, but the music is still there to be enjoyed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jam were excellent however preferred the Style Council, expecting a serious flamming

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Still waiting for NSC own Weller guru @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=20527" target="_blank">studio150</a></u> to make an appearance :thumbsup:

The thread has focused on his work with The Jam, The Style Council and in his own name, but he has also supported other musicians and groups where his involvement has brought them to the attention of a wider audience, such as the Stone Foundation.

As always music is all about personal preferences and tastes, but I always think that for most people the music of their youth remains their favourite mainly due to the fact that this is the most familiar. Anyone who has had a lengthy career will have people who only like a certain period of their career and aren't into other periods. Just enjoy whatever you like.

Anyway, three tracks from the three segments of his career.

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
The jam, were the band of my youth and my first live concert aged 12. When Weller split them up ,in their prime,I was upset and wouldn’t listen to style council. Years later ,I realised ,weller was right and I was wrong. In my view, Paul is the greatest ever, British singer songwriter. As a bonus he’s brought to my attention , stone foundation, whose roots are in northern soul and fantastic band.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

SAC

May 21, 2014
The jam, were the band of my youth and my first live concert aged 12. When Weller split them up ,in their prime,I was upset and wouldn’t listen to style council. Years later ,I realised ,weller was right and I was wrong. In my view, Paul is the greatest ever, British singer songwriter. As a bonus he’s brought to my attention , stone foundation, whose roots are in northern soul and fantastic band.

The Jam were excellent from start through to finish and hindsight shows that it was exactly the right time for The Jam to end. The Style Council were very good although went astray towards the end and he should have stopped after Confessions of a Pop Group flopped. His solo stuff has mostly been exceptional but with 16 LPs there are bound to be some that people prefer to others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports