Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Splendid stuff recently from PIL. Long may he run.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was inspirational to me when I was 18, and I still have affection for him. Fearless, uncompromising, and very interesting music. Happy birthday John.

This sends shivers down my spine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DLDRTppkBs

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Except thats not him, but a weird soundalike called 'Johnny Rotter' dressed up like JL circa 1978. As Lydon refused to have anything to do with the 'Rotten' moniker at the time he was doing this era PIL he's even got that wrong. Surprised Wobble had anything to do with this, unless it was some sort of joke on Lydon reforming PIL without Levene and him.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
He was inspirational to me when I was 18, and I still have affection for him. Fearless, uncompromising, and very interesting music. Happy birthday John.

This sends shivers down my spine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DLDRTppkBs

Unfortunately that is not Rotten, its Nathan Matherick AKA Johnny Rotter ( a good friend of mine) who is with SPE

Lydon did not wan to reform with Wobble & Levene.
But as you can here, he is very good.

Rotter & Rotten backstage at the O2 in Birmingham.

rotter rotten.jpg

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Except thats not him, but a weird soundalike called 'Johnny Rotter' dressed up like JL circa 1978. As Lydon refused to have anything to do with the 'Rotten' moniker at the time he was doing this era PIL he's even got that wrong. Surprised Wobble had anything to do with this, unless it was some sort of joke on Lydon reforming PIL without Levene and him.

When Lydon reformed PIL and spoke to Wobble & Levene about it he was only prepared to have them as paid musicians rather than equal partner in a band so W&L did it the're way.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you want to judge him on a 30 second advert against a music career spanning 40+ years then i guess you have a point.

He was shit and so were the sex pistols. I have to concentrate on his excellent butter adverts.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
When Lydon reformed PIL and spoke to Wobble & Levene about it he was only prepared to have them as paid musicians rather than equal partner in a band so W&L did it the're way.
Right, makes sense. Shame it wasn't the original lineup (and Jeanette Lee of course).

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
A character? Definitely
Part of the soundtrack to my youth? Absolutely.
Very inspirational? If that means Very inspirational to a few people then probably. I cant recall many musicians stating that John/Johnny was the reason they started in music but no doubt somebody will come up with someone. We are all inspired by different people.
Proper musician? Who am I to judge? but if enough people thought enough of his music, why has he had to resort to butter adverts to prolong his music career after 40 years in the business?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfortunately that is not Rotten, its Nathan Matherick AKA Johnny Rotter ( a good friend of mine) who is with SPE

Lydon did not wan to reform with Wobble & Levene.
But as you can here, he is very good.

Rotter & Rotten backstage at the O2 in Birmingham.

View attachment 71985

Should have realized that - the obvious massive age difference between the three :lolol: My son went to college with Keith Levine's son. Well, he said it was Keith Levine. Perhaps it was Keith Levin, son of Bernard :lolol:

Thanks for the info, btw !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A character? Definitely
Part of the soundtrack to my youth? Absolutely.
Very inspirational? If that means Very inspirational to a few people then probably. I cant recall many musicians stating that John/Johnny was the reason they started in music but no doubt somebody will come up with someone. We are all inspired by different people.
Proper musician? Who am I to judge? but if enough people thought enough of his music, why has he had to resort to butter adverts to prolong his music career after 40 years in the business?

Money. I think it may be money. And why not? He was great on 'I'm a celeb' too. And his appearance on Juke Box Jury was classic. I admire people with a considered opinion, well based on the facts, who do what they want and say what they want, and his attitude always inspired me. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he influenced my career. I get a small number of plaudits from a few folk who share my attitude to what I do (heart research) and don't give a stuff that the majority of careerist wankers who compromise themselves over the latest fads, while abandoning the scientific method, think I'm a 'rough diamond, without any actual diamond'. ****ing frauds, if you ask me. JL was and will never be a fraud.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Money. I think it may be money. And why not? He was great on 'I'm a celeb' too. And his appearance on Juke Box Jury was classic. I admire people with a considered opinion, well based on the facts, who do what they want and say what they want, and his attitude always inspired me. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he influenced my career. I get a small number of plaudits from a few folk who share my attitude to what I do (heart research) and don't give a stuff that the majority of careerist wankers who compromise themselves over the latest fads, while abandoning the scientific method, think I'm a 'rough diamond, without any actual diamond'. ****ing frauds, if you ask me. JL was and will never be a fraud.
Cant argue with any of that, fella.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
the soundtrack to a pissed off angst ridden teenage Pevenseagull. 30 years on still sounds fresh as a daisy and I'm still pissed off.

Good work John, I am envious of anyone who doesn't rate the guy as they probably exist in some halcyon, blissful world of relentless shallow joy.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
The man is a cultural icon and is the main reason why I went on to enjoy 39 years of loud, abrhasive, uncomprimising music from a veritable list of bands at the time, and bands yet to come. Seen PIL a few times, but it is really The Pistols that drive me. 1 album and 4 B sides 39 years ago should be forgotten by now, but they are not. Never Mind The Bollocks will always be in my top 5 albums of all time. I feel priveliged to have witnessed the time and the man. Cheap snipes at him either mean those doing it were not old enough to experience that musical revolution , or were happy to have been force fed by whatever Radio 1 wanted them to listen too.

Happy Birthday John.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
the soundtrack to a pissed off angst ridden teenage Pevenseagull. 30 years on still sounds fresh as a daisy and I'm still pissed off.

Good work John, I am envious of anyone who doesn't rate the guy as they probably exist in some halcyon, blissful world of relentless shallow joy.
I wouldn't say he hasn't been involved in some very good music (although, for me, only with PiL) - 'Careering', 'Rise' and 'Ease' would be standouts imo. But his relentless self-aggrandising grates more than a little and rather than fearless he always comes across (evenin stories he tells himself) as inconsiderate, which to me is not the same thing at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good to know, as one who thinks Rotten is not very good, that I am an arrogant shallow Radio 1 listener, living a halcyon blissful life. Blimey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here