Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Happy 75th birthday Barry Lloyd

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That 87/88 season is still my favourite.

Keeley
Chivers-Dublin-Rougvie-Gatting
Wood-Curbishley-Wilkins-Penney
Nelson-Bremner

Great memories of that last day against Bristol Rovers

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Keeley
Nelson-Bremner

After we were promoted he reportedly said, after looking at the budget, 'Now what?'. What, was almost getting us back into the top flight a few years later :bowdown:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Keeley
Nelson-Bremner

Keith, Keith, Keith Dublin. I still remember a chap that stood near us always calling Dublin a "donut" but to me he was always a silky defender. And then at an away game (when fans really wanted Lloyd out) when one of the lads I travelled with shouted out "you ****!" at Lloyd as he walked across the pitch after the loss and Mr Lloyd stopped and turned and looked directly at us. One of the most cringeworthy moments of my life 😥. I always thought he did a great job (putting Nelson up front for starters) and good recruitment. One of my fave managers because my first season was 87-88 and a promotion. Happy Birthday Mr Lloyd.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My first ever match was Barry’s first ever win.
Bazza did a good job in very difficult times. Happy birthday!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and sadly a lot of us rejoiced when he left by ‘mutual consent’ just a few weeks after Bellotti arrived in the autumn of 1993.

How blind we were…
We were groomed basically 🙈

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Still younger than Roy Hodgson, perhaps Barry could he do a job if RDZ departs?
None of this short goal kick bollocks.
Crossed my mind too, Woy still at the coal fvace at the ripe of old age of 78, whilst Lloydy, three years his junior has been wearing his comfy retirement slippers for donkeys years now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Keith, Keith, Keith Dublin. I still remember a chap that stood near us always calling Dublin a "donut" but to me he was always a silky defender. And then at an away game (when fans really wanted Lloyd out) when one of the lads I travelled with shouted out "you ****!" at Lloyd as he walked across the pitch after the loss and Mr Lloyd stopped and turned and looked directly at us. One of the most cringeworthy moments of my life 😥. I always thought he did a great job (putting Nelson up front for starters) and good recruitment. One of my fave managers because my first season was 87-88 and a promotion. Happy Birthday Mr Lloyd.
That was a really solid defence, Curbishley oozed class, Wilkins couldn't tackle but that left foot! Nelson and Bremner up front were a great pair, they worked so well together. Paul Wood and Stevie Penney (when fit) were also great to watch, such a shame about Penney's glass knees.

It was a revamped team and all the new signings really clicked. Happy days.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Very good manager who defied the odds to bring us success.

Hounded out by a noisy minority in much the same way as Mark McGhee roughly a decade later.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Who remembers the Goldstone Northstand separating into 2 sectors one singing "Barry Who?" and the general push and shove of each other? I think the Worthing lads were mostly behind Barry of my memory serves me right.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was never really a fan - but you have to admit he did a pretty amazing job in the circumstances. The one thing I find a bit hard to forgive is how he (allegedly) treated Garry Nelson at the 91 play-off final.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Barry was a flawed genius. Some fantastic moments against all odds (wembley 91, even keeping us in div 2 for 4 years was huge) some great players from nowhere. He also did more on the business side such as trying to find a new ground, working with planning consultants etc

However as a child of the 40s/50s so politically incorrect. With some not too pleasant comments made.

He did allegedly try and punch Archer pre Belotti arriving though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
However as a child of the 40s/50s so politically incorrect.
Yes, like every other child of the 40s/50s brought up and educated politically incorrect - so why mention it? Happy birthday Barry, no 'buts'......................

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yes, like every other child of the 40s/50s brought up and educated politically incorrect - so why mention it? Happy birthday Barry, no 'buts'......................
Not everybody of that era was still using some of the language of it in the 90s

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not everybody of that era was still using some of the language of it in the 90s
No, but carelessly or accidentally dropping a wrong word was not unusual then as people were learning to change - and it certainly didn't provoke the furious anger that it does now. Nobody became perfectly politically correct (2024 standard) overnight.

Except of course, those that think they are perfect anyway!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A very underrated manager imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here