Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Happy 74th birthday Barry Lloyd

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Once my nemesis but now someone I proudly call a friend.

Clearly in the grand scheme of things both misunderstood and underestimated at times.

Ultimately his part in the Albion story had far more positives than negatives.

Happy birthday Baz 🍾
Did ok during a difficult time. Does he attend games at Amex or Worthing ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed, happy birthday Barry.

Will always remember being ordered off the team coach by him on a pre season tour in the late eighties, then enjoying a really friendly chat with him when running the gate at Horsham Football Club a decade later.

Two complete contrasts! I think we need to remember that he was under a lot of pressure at times during his tenure at the Albion, and like to think that the Barry Lloyd l encountered at Qujeen Street was much more the real man.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
He has to be the most under rated Brighton managers of all time.

Happy Birthday MR Lloyd.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
How different for him if we had beaten county in the play final in 91 a big if but if we had won that and survived the next season in Division one then the premier league comes along
Sadly he was forced to sell Small and Bryne and we went down the following season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How different for him if we had beaten county in the play final in 91 a big if but if we had won that and survived the next season in Division one then the premier league comes along
Sadly he was forced to sell Small and Bryne and we went down the following season
incredibly, the opposition manager that day at Wembley, at a couple of months older than Barry Lloyd, was still picking up points on a Championship touch line yesterday!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
incredibly, the opposition manager that day at Wembley, at a couple of months older than Barry Lloyd, was still picking up points on a Championship touch line yesterday!
Yep and over twenty years and who knows how many jobs later he is still successful at it.

Not a manager l would like anywhere near my club, but he obviously has a certain style and he has built a very good career out of it.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
That notts county play off final was a game to far they outplayed us but it did have one of the best consolation goal I can remember

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Clearly in the grand scheme of things both misunderstood and underestimated at times.

Happy birthday Baz 🍾
Harty, I would like to think you will be standing outside his front door this evening shouting ‘Barry, Barry, Barry, out, out, out’ on your way out to birthday drinks.
Send him our regards. I really enjoyed his time in charge. Some classic seasons, especially 1987/88.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Happy birthday Barry. Much underestimated at the time by all of us, judging by the decline under the managers that followed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Barry who?

87/88 is still one of my favourite seasons ever. It was when I discovered away games, made a bunch of mates and ended up on the pitch after Bristol Rovers celebrating like a loon. Nelson, Bremner and Rougvie were probably easier to get a tune out of than Worthing players but, still, under-rated manager, including by Gulls Eye :moo:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Happy birthday Baz 🍾
Never really rated him much at the time tbh, but brought Gary Nelson to the club and he was brilliant, fantastic with Kevin Bremner. That first season we got promoted back to Div2 was great.

Then just a game away from the top division against Colins Notts County and that run to the final was incredible. Tracksuit trousers Digweeds penalty save, Wendys left peg curler at the death v Ipswich, the 2 play offs v Millwall Barham, Mick Small, Clive Walker and Codner when we smashed Millwall at the Goldstone, young Johnny Robinsons winner at the old den were all fantastic memories (even in the horrific pink Nobo kit). Little did any of us know the Bill Archer horrors that were to come.

Looking back now, the days at the Goldstone under Barry were some truly iconic games with now Albion legends.

Happy Birthday Barry, and thanks the memories of your part in our rich history

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here