Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Happy 4th July

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am obviously not going to change your blinkered view, but just think for a minute what the world would look like, if the Americans had not joined WW2, The Germans would have overrun Europe, and exterminated millions more Jewish, Roma gypsies, plus other ethnic backgrounds, along with disabled and the mentally ill. Japan would have expanded and caused mayhem probably invading Australia and further. I hardly call that dumb shit, and you saying it makes me think you may have sympathies towards certain ideologies. I suspect not, but that is the only reason I can think why you wrote that.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you, you have your idea and that is fair enough.
Have a good day.

As is this response, you are now embarrassing yourself. We would not won WWII without US intervention. End of story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you say "intervened", I suppose you are referring to Wall Street funding Hitler and his German war machine in the 1930s despite being well aware about his political ideas and most of his ambitions. The "business & money is everything and we don't give a shit about the ethics" attitude that is the American national trait also caused the WW2 to be possible.

Yankee business made billions from Hitler going to war and killing people, and then made billions from stopping it, but for whatever reason you only ever hear about the last part in all those Pentagon-funded Hollywood movies.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
The Wild, The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle - what an album title(and album).

I bought it because of this song

So many good live versions of it on YouTube but this is from that magical Hammersmith concert that I wished I’d been at

Whenever anyone mentions 4th July it’s what it means to me(the fact that I had a cracking girl friend called Sandy a few years later is entirely coincidental)

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
When you say "intervened", I suppose you are referring to Wall Street funding Hitler and his German war machine in the 1930s despite being well aware about his political ideas and most of his ambitions. The "business & money is everything and we don't give a shit about the ethics" attitude that is the American national trait also caused the WW2 to be possible.

Yankee business made billions from Hitler going to war and killing people, and then made billions from stopping it, but for whatever reason you only ever hear about the last part in all those Pentagon-funded Hollywood movies.

In the same way that many in the UK and France made money from 1930’s Germany.
The US foreign policy was isolationist and it was only Pearl Harbour that changed their view.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Hitler had backers on Wall Street, but big money generally will accommodate any major political leader. A lot of Hitler’s rhetoric was more mainstream in the 1930’s than it would be deemed today.

There were people in that period that were far more frightened of Communism than Nazism and saw Hitler as the lessor of evils. Part of what was being financed were loans to make reparation payments that had been created by rather bad treaty. Had those loans not been made, a serious case can be made that the Communist Party would have been the major political beneficiary and that is something the Americans feared greatly after the great depression.

You seem to have forgotten it's Rwandan Independence Day today as well. No doubt Pritti will have the flag out on her desk. Maybe this suits?

Can't wait for your Australia Day post on 26 Jan next year either. Can we have "Down Under" by Men At Work please?

Please don't suggest playing Carrie Johnsons theme song.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Why celebrate the victory of a terrorist organisation?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As is this response, you are now embarrassing yourself. We would not won WWII without US intervention. End of story.

Well yes. You are correct of course but bear in mind that the US had a very isolationist attitude and would they have ever have got involved without the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour? We will never know.

The US declared war on Japan but not on Germany and the other axis powers. It was Germany that declared war on the US after the US had declared war on the Japanese.

Here is an interesting essay on America's involvement in WW2

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/great-debate

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Wife’s birthday today, Organized a parade and some fireworks. First year we got here she believed that:facepalm::)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sod the USA, only matter to me, that its our wedding anniversary:)
(Yes I know, a look at me post, but WTH)

That's better. I have raised my cup of coffee to you and yours.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well yes. You are correct of course but bear in mind that the US had a very isolationist attitude and would they have ever have got involved without the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour? We will never know.

The US declared war on Japan but not on Germany and the other axis powers. It was Germany that declared war on the US after the US had declared war on the Japanese.

In Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts he goes into how Britain's debt to the US reached a tipping point where the US couldn't afford the UK to lose which arguably forced their hand to make sure we didn't.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Utter Bullshite from you again, plenty of countries have caused more issues, take a long hard look at history before you make stupid comments like that.

If it were not for Americas participation in both World Wars, the world would be a much worse place right now, and that is a cold hard fact.

Just because it is cool to hate America.

Yes they have issues, some of them pretty disgusting, but that does not make the country and all that live there agree with their policies and issues. It is an amazing country to visit, with such a wide and varied landscape, with a wide selection of folk that generally are like you and me.

Grow up and as you like to tell everyone, don't believe the narrative you are fed.

America is still a young country, and needs to unshackle it's self from the constitution and the religious restraints, that can also be said about many many countries.

Happy 4th of July America.

America should probably give dictatorship a go, for say 20-30 years, just to keep it together and bring in back up to strength for the forthcoming war with China, clear up all the guns, tackle climate change etc. All a bit easier if no one able to argue the toss. Then revert to being land of the free again, just a lot better / a new position from which the slide can begin one more!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Britain didn’t lose it
Russian bled for it
America paid for it

Highly simplistic but generally true in terms of Allied contributions. But the big question that remains a fierce topic of debate is, what ever did the Romans (Italians) do?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is sixth form common room nonsense. Russia and China have both slaughtered millions of their own people. Nazism was responsible for mass slaughter, 19th and 20th century colonialism has made the lives a misery for half the world (the British and French primarily responsible but most Europeans had a hand - even a country like Belgium killed 10m in central Africa).

The US does indeed have a history of racism and imperialism on their doorstep, for sure. However, they've also been a force for the good in many ways. Your country would be a Russian or German colony by now if it wasn't for them. Arguably so would ours - it's probably worth contemplating that.

They lead the world in popular culture and have driven many forces for the good despite having huge numbers of insular, backward, ill educated people living in the middle of the country. But the fact they are so racially segregated despite having some of the most advanced human rights laws (and the most lawyers to help enforce them) surely remains the biggest paradox in the Western world.

The US has also slaughtered millions of "their own people", through making proper healthcare unaffordable, prescriping drugs to anyone who can pay up, allowing guns to be sold to anyone and his mother, and other ways. Nazism did cause a lot of death, but nowhere near as many victims as the US version of capitalism which is now prevalent pretty much everywhere where they have infuence - which is pretty much everywhere.

Sweden could have been a German or Russian colony, instead we're an American colony. The privatisation of school and health care in Sweden are results of lobbyism from American companies, and it is causing great damage. If Germany had won WW2 everyone now saying "oh you could have been a German colony, how dreadful" would be saying the same about the US, because the winners write the history and the people accept the winners narrative.

Rightio mate.
Ask a Jew

I could and in many cases they would probably agree with you. But if I ask someone from Africa, South America or the Middle East I might get a different answer on which country/individual had the most negative impact on their country/region.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Best thing we ever did was to lose it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A country largely filled with good people who work hard to live, thrive and survive. Like every other country the world over. Happy 4th of July to them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here