Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hanover Parking

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wouldn't be such a problem if the trains weren't such an utter mess. If trains were sorted first, many more people wouldn't feel the need to rely on cars for say - Worthing to Brighton and back for the day.

Hmmm Not so sure that is entirely true, even if trains ran at 30 second intervals into and out of the city, there is a sizeable percentage of the population who would never use public transport.

Sad I know, but true.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmmm Not so sure that is entirely true, even if trains ran at 30 second intervals into and out of the city, there is a sizeable percentage of the population who would never use public transport.

Sad I know, but true.

I and many, many others I know would be the sort to sometimes use car, sometimes train. And now pretty much all use car, because the consensus is that trains cannot be trusted.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The council sell to residents 1.5 permits per 1 car parking space on the assumption that only 2/3 of cars are parked at any one time. I believe on a first come first serve basis until there are none. After that it's a waiting list

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
One of the biggest cons going, mainly because there is no alternative. I work in Brighton and used to drive in then park in Lewes Road around the universities then walk, cycle or get the bus in depending on the weather. They took those spaces away so had to go closer into the town around Lewes Road triangle, they took those spaces away so I tried Ditchling Road for a while, they have taken those spaces away so now just pay for a season ticket parking right in the centre of the city.

I tried to use public transport but when you need to be home for children you cannot rely on the trains and the buses would put on too much to my journey to make them viable. I would love to go back to cycling into the centre but need somewhere to leave the car that's not too far out and is safe. The bike is a fold up and lived in the boot of the car. I now sadly add to the daily traffic going into the city even though I don't want to.

We badly need a park and ride or park and cycle scheme in the city so people have an alternative. I have no idea why we can't use the Amex or The Bridge car park on non match days. Perfect bus routes along Lewes Road.

We badly need a park and ride or park and cycle scheme in the city so people have an alternative. I have no idea why we can't use the Amex or The Bridge car park on non match days. Perfect bus routes along Lewes Road.
The other day, at just after 5pm, I noticed three bendi-buses in a row, in Lewes Road, each displaying a "Sorry Bus Full Up" sign. When I passed the Falmer Station bus stop a few minutes later, I saw a queue of waiting passengers that would easily have filled two more bendi-buses.

What's going on? Students travelling from Falmer to Brighton always used to use the trains in bigger numbers than the buses. Not any more, it would seem.

The idea of new park and ride services is excellent, but there must be capacity on the bus network to meet the demand. If people are abandoning trains, SASTA seem to be making this unlikely.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The other day, at just after 5pm, I noticed three bendi-buses in a row, in Lewes Road, each displaying a "Sorry Bus Full Up" sign. When I passed the Falmer Station bus stop a few minutes later, I saw a queue of waiting passengers that would easily have filled two more bendi-buses.

What's going on? Students travelling from Falmer to Brighton always used to use the trains in bigger numbers than the buses. Not any more, it would seem.

Dare I suggest fraud....

On the trains I am sure there is more chance of getting caught without the correct ticket or not having a ticket.

On the buses you just flash your card at the driver I have seen it, people jump on and off those things...

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Unfortunately Brighton missed out by not following the example of Amsterdam. Under the Arena where Ajax play, there is a massive underground car park with a link to the neighbouring metro/tram station which is used for park and ride. This I believe is not available to spectators on match days. Had the Council liaised with the Albion perhaps something similar could have happened with the Amex.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
There are many questions there but, broadly, if the scheme is to make any sense, there should be one permit holder per household at standard rate, further permits per household should be charged at a far higher rate (and withdrawn if it is the case that there are still too many cars to parking spaces), and that exemptions should be made for the disabled (there are already disabled spaces up my road).
There will be disputes, but then again, that's life.

I lived in an area when permits were introduced, i think there was a 'first round' where every household could apply for one permit, after this there were still some left so people where then able to apply for a second if they wanted one.

Once they get to the point there are none left the waiting list system kicks in.

Hanover will be interesting because they will end up with a reduced number spaces once they are all drawn out properly, but it sounds like lots of people who park there, but don't live there, won't have their cars jamming up the streets anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Twice I have lived in an area where parking permits were introduced, and twice it has made parking 100% more difficult. The first was was introduced but only 3/4 of the way up a long road, and the permit area finished about 50 yards from our house, so we did not qualify for a permit. Net result? Hardly anyone in the permit area bothered to pay for a permit and simply parked 50 yards up the road, outside our house where it was still free, leaving us nowhere to park :facepalm:

The second, and current one, was introduced and we got a permit. However, prior to the permit issue, the three streets affected by it allowed parking on both sides of the (admittedly narrow) streets, but after the permit scheme was introduced, the council made one side of each street double yellows. Net result? 50% fewer parking spaces for the same number of residents :facepalm:

On both occasions, prior to the permit scheme, we had never got a parking ticket. Since thy were introduced, we've had about a dozen.

Another major gripe is that the council price the permits according to emissions; the lower the emissions, the lower the price. Surely a fairer way would be to price them on the size of your vehicle? We have a tiny little MX5 and pay roughly the same, or possibly even more, than some bloody great 4x4 with low emissions that takes up 3 times as much room as our car :rant:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I lived in an area when permits were introduced, i think there was a 'first round' where every household could apply for one permit, after this there were still some left so people where then able to apply for a second if they wanted one.

Once they get to the point there are none left the waiting list system kicks in.

Hanover will be interesting because they will end up with a reduced number spaces once they are all drawn out properly, but it sounds like lots of people who park there, but don't live there, won't have their cars jamming up the streets anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all this, and you've identified the chief concern that I've heard expressed round here, and it's a legitimate one: the introduction of the parking scheme will lead to a reduced number of parking spaces. What we don't yet know is whether there's enough to go round. I suspect there will be, but there will be problems for those with multiple vehicles, and those students that bring cars down to reveal to their mates. Those that use this area as a free car park will also lose out, which is a good thing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Twice I have lived in an area where parking permits were introduced, and twice it has made parking 100% more difficult. The first was was introduced but only 3/4 of the way up a long road, and the permit area finished about 50 yards from our house, so we did not qualify for a permit. Net result? Hardly anyone in the permit area bothered to pay for a permit and simply parked 50 yards up the road, outside our house where it was still free, leaving us nowhere to park :facepalm:

The second, and current one, was introduced and we got a permit. However, prior to the permit issue, the three streets affected by it allowed parking on both sides of the (admittedly narrow) streets, but after the permit scheme was introduced, the council made one side of each street double yellows. Net result? 50% fewer parking spaces for the same number of residents :facepalm:

On both occasions, prior to the permit scheme, we had never got a parking ticket. Since thy were introduced, we've had about a dozen.

Another major gripe is that the council price the permits according to emissions; the lower the emissions, the lower the price. Surely a fairer way would be to price them on the size of your vehicle? We have a tiny little MX5 and pay roughly the same, or possibly even more, than some bloody great 4x4 with low emissions that takes up 3 times as much room as our car :rant:

I'm not so sure that Hanover will be affected by such things, as it borders on many areas that already have existing schemes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here