Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hampshire Police are now at it........

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

Figures released yesterday or Thursday said that people nicked for using a mobile were down compared to the previous 12 months and it was by a significant amount. I think that's more of a reflection on police not bothering as much, rather than drivers finally getting the message because I see more people texting than ever before. Women seem to be the worst offenders from my observations. Much maligned White Van Man may make calls whilst driving but I never see them texting from the third lane of the M25 unlike the many 30 something women that I see doing so.
Agree, the 30 something ladies are the worse, there eyes are far more concerned with what's happening on FB, twatter and having a Costa with shazza in town later than the road that's ahead of them. How many innocent people will they maim or kill?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Speeding tickets don't get issued until 10% over the speed limit so none of your criteria.

I would say about 2 to 1. Drink driving, speeding, no tax no MOT - quite often all of them at once.
Will I get three pints for doing 37 in a thirty? It wasn't a built up area just one of those where its 40mph limit then for 20 meters it drops to 30 then back to 40 a scam in other words.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Agree, the 30 something ladies are the worse, there eyes are far more concerned with what's happening on FB, twatter and having a Costa with shazza in town later than the road that's ahead of them. How many innocent people will they maim or kill?
The one I had behind me the other day was far and away the most attention derelict driver I have ever seen. She followed me off the A27 all the way to the Engineerium junction and consistently weaved from nearly hitting the kerb to being on the wrong side of the road - all the while tailgating me. And the reason? Finding and applying her makeup. Not a quick root around a bag or quick application of lippy. 5 minutes of rooting around and gurning directly into the rear view mirror whilst applying Polyfilla. In a BMW 4x4. Who would have thought?

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Or alternatively, maybe people should just stop breaking the law? People get annoyed as they are "just over the limit" but the limit is not the recommended safe driving speed, its the limit, the maximum speed you should be travelling in that area.

If you don't like or agree with the laws and think that you should be travelling faster, speak to you MP, local council etc. Probably get flamed for this post but it seems to me the only law people think it's fine to break and whenever they get caught it's always over zealous policing etc.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So 33mph in a 30, that's a few mph of the limit isn't it???
So are you suggesting they don't put mobile units a the bottom of a hill or after a long straight?

What does it matter if you're at the bottom of a hill or at the end of a straight? Speeding is speeding. If you can't control your vehicle enough to not go over the limit you shouldn't be behind the wheel. If you are in control and choose to speed down hills and along straights it's your own fault if you get caught.

D

Deleted member 2719

What does it matter if you're at the bottom of a hill or at the end of a straight? Speeding is speeding. If you can't control your vehicle enough to not go over the limit you shouldn't be behind the wheel. If you are in control and choose to speed down hills and along straights it's your own fault if you get caught.

Mate this is now no longer a debate, we have just lost again.

You have a lovely safe time crawling at 20mph in a 30mph and 10mph in a 20mph.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mate this is now no longer a debate, we have just lost again.

You have a lovely safe time crawling at 20mph in a 30mph and 10mph in a 20mph.

Wow, you can only think about one thing at a time, and think you either drive over the speed limit or 10mph below it? Please stop driving.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Some of it is! But then so is some of Sussex especially the A27 at Chichester, the bicycle lane through Arundel and the "How long this time" crawl through Worthing - always applicable on Albion match days. :wink:

yeah your right,was referring to the surronding areas of fratton park & the dell

did some price work in Alton about 10 years ago,stayed up there for a couple of months,when I got back did some research and was gutted to find out Montgomery was buried there,would have definately visited his grave

I should imagine the New Forest & Solent are very nice,around the Dorset borders too

el punal

yeah your right,was referring to the surronding areas of fratton park & the dell

did some price work in Alton about 10 years ago,stayed up there for a couple of months,when I got back did some research and was gutted to find out Montgomery was buried there,would have definately visited his grave

I should imagine the New Forest & Solent are very nice,around the Dorset borders too
Give me Sussex any day (well most of it!). One of my lifetime regrets was having to leave Brighton, and now far too expensive to move back. :(

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I went on the safe driver course last week at the race hill which was an alternative option as a penalty for speeding than the 3 points.

Most Counties set speed cameras at 10% + 2. So 35 mph in a 30 zone.
However Sussex and a few others set at 36mph. Also car are calibrated so the speedometer shows around 5-10% higher than actual speed too. Therefore to get 'flashed' in Sussex you would of been going closer to 40mph on the speedo.

Also I thought that the speed limits were set due to the technical ability of the cars at the time. We think that now we have new technologies and cars feel safer and more comfortable to drive, that speed limits are unrealistically low!
However I was surprised to hear that actually it's all about the ability to stop. Human reaction time has an average of 1.3 seconds and obviously that doesn't change no matter what speed we travel. Then the stopping distances come into play and to give you an idea - by travelling at 80mph instead of 70mph, by the time react and brake we would hit a car in front around 40mph faster! So by driving 10mph more we would hit at 40mph more !!
Big difference when dealing with the thin line of life and death in a motorway crash.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I was genuinely shocked to see a woman with two kids in the back of the car barely able to steer with one hand, through Worthing's famous Tarring Village "pinch point "while laughing on the phone to some pillock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here