Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammers having a love in

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We went there for a morning session in the Paralympics in 2012 and we all said no way would this make a decent football stadium, seems you get what you pay for, shame

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
God there's no comparison with us. We were getting max 8 1/2 k into withdean and moved into a 30k stadium. The inrush of JCLs at our ground has led to pure apathy as a previously lively but small band of regulars got diluted by a load of stockbrokers from Hassocks and all their ilk. The only time they raise their voices during a game is to shout at standees to sit down. I'd love it if we started trading blows with the JCLs.

That's a very negative analysis of our fan-base. What about people like me, a regular at the Goldstone from 1977, an occasional ticket buyer at Withdean (5/6 games a season) while the kids were small, now a season ticket holder at The Amex. There's a lot of us out there and if it makes you happy to judge us as JCLs then knock yourself out. And frankly if a stockbroker from Hassocks wants to get the Albion habit and help the club thrive then good.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Bless them. They are a lovely lot

Indeed. I remember all the homophobic grief Mendoza got when he went to Upton Park collecting signatures for Falmer.

Saying that, knowing that lot I'd love to be there when one of their new suited corporate types is telling one of the traditional rowdy to sit down and be quiet please :lol:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Are you joking ?! The withdean was like a morgue most times. Don't change history now that a lot of the old supporters have come back now the facilities are nicer.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Good god, I thought you'd kicked the bucket or been given a life ban....

Looking forward to champions league fella

Alright, chap?

I still read NSC a few evenings a week. I can't believe the meltdown it goes into after a home defeat. Has it always been this bad?! :eek:

Yep - can't wait mate, all booked up except CSKA away. Visa alone was £145!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
A few clubs like Juventus and Bayern Munich abandoned althetics stadiums because the atmosphere was rubbish and in some cases the stadiums remained state owned which limited income for the clubs. West Ham have just signed up to that scenario albeit with a very favourable financial deal.

These stadiums don't seem to work too well for club football in some cases. Maybe long term this will be a stepping stone to the club getting a purpose built football stadium that is bigger than Upton Park was.

It the meantime the 'Matchday experience' doesn't look great for some fans. Particularly if they want to stand, have a RUBBISH view, or happen to be near the away fans. Which probably accounts for quite a lot of them!

A safe standing area would have been great but wouldn't have solved all of those problems.

Still- they have very cheap ticket prices for Premier League football so can't complain too much!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here