Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammam Getting More Grief At Cardiff

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
After the levels of abuse aimed at him during the Sheffield United game a couple of weeks ago, you'd think Sam Hammam would have enough sense to stay away from Ninian Park on match days. But it seems he hasn't.

From today's South Wales Echo:

CARDIFF City owner Sam Hammam had to be rescued by police and stewards after being abused by a crowd of angry fans.

A group of around 100 furious City supporters rounded on the Ninian Park supremo as he left the ground following the Bluebirds' 1-0 defeat against Ipswich Town last night, blaming him for the club's cash crisis.

Stewards had to lock the gates as the fans tried to force their way into the ground's car park when they spotted Mr Hammam trying to leave.

Police told a grim-looking Mr Hammam to stay in the his car before forming a cordon at the gates to move away the angry crowd, which aimed shouts of "Scum" and "You're taking £5,000 a week out of this club - you've lied to us" at the City owner.

After the police cleared his path, Mr Hammam, with his minder in the passenger seat, left the ground to another volley of abuse.

One supporter, who did not want to be named said: "All City fans want is the truth, instead of this stage show.

"I shouted to him 'all of us will be here long after you have gone from this club, so don't keep fobbing us off'."

Mr Hammam has come in for fierce criticism since the full extent of City's cash problems emerged this month after the start of work on the club's new stadium was delayed once again.

Staff and players had to wait more than a week for their February wages and club skipper Graham Kavanagh was sold to stave off the threat of administration.

City's latest accounts, up to May 2004, show the club is almost £30m in debt and director Michael Isaac had to plough £1m of his own money into the club to ensure March wages are paid and avoid further player sales.

Police Chief Inspector Andy Morgan, said: "There was a group of around 100 fans who wanted to discuss the club's current position with Mr Hammam, and it appeared they didn't hear what they wanted to hear."

Chief Inspector Morgan added: "Nobody was arrested."

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lush said:
You'll be pleased to know that Kavanagh had an excellent game last night.

Yeah, I was very pleased to hear that. No sarcasm either. Kav's very well thought of over here, and he'll get a great reception from the Cardiff fans when Wigan come here in April, no doubt about that. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple of occasions and he seems like a really nice guy.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Yeah, I was very pleased to hear that. No sarcasm either. Kav's very well thought of over here, and he'll get a great reception from the Cardiff fans when Wigan come here in April, no doubt about that. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a couple of occasions and he seems like a really nice guy.

Good to hear!

In much the same way most Brighton fans will be pleased to see Danny Cullip again. Like Kav, he was a great servant to his club, who had to go for financial reasons.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Hang on is this the man that said on tv that Cardiff where the biggest club in Europe.

Hang on was it not Cardiff fans coming on here two seasons ago saying that we where a tiny club with tiny support and we will never be as big as Cardiff.

Looks like Sam is bored with his Cardiff toy, they only place they are going is down!!!

Sorry but
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

They have been screwed. Now they know what it feels like.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still think there were an awful lot of MUGS in the Cardiff support. It amazes me that a bigger percentage of their fan base weren't a tinsy wincy bit sceptical of this crook when he first took over. After 18 months or so, it was presumably fairly straightforward to see how his control of the club was being financed. The words "house of cards" springs to mind...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I called him a WANKER last night. Don't think he heard though.

Phew.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
adrian29uk said:
They have been screwed. Now they know what it feels like.

NOW we know how it feels? Do you honestly think this is the FIRST time Cardiff have been shafted by a dodgy owner?

Dear oh dear......

:nono: :nono: :nono:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Biscuit said:
Good to hear!

In much the same way most Brighton fans will be pleased to see Danny Cullip again. Like Kav, he was a great servant to his club, who had to go for financial reasons.

Although was transfer listed on request for 6 months until he realised nobody wanted him.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
At least under Hamman they had success on the pitch. Most of the other dodgy characters in charge of Cardiff during the 80's and 90's barely managed to get them out of Division 4.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
At least under Hamman they had success on the pitch. Most of the other dodgy characters in charge of Cardiff during the 80's and 90's barely managed to get them out of Division 4.

Very true indeed. The best we've had was a bloke called Jim Cadman, who 'bought' the club shortly after the start of the season, sacked the manager (Eddie May) and appointed his own manager (Terry Yorath), who got rid of several key players and guided the club into the Second Division relegation zone. Then, a few months later, Cadman admitted that he didn't actually have any money to pay the former owner, so he gave the club back to him. The former owner then sacked Yorath and re-appointed May, who narrowly failed to save us from relegation.

What a season THAT was!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Very true indeed. The best we've had was a bloke called Jim Cadman, who 'bought' the club shortly after the start of the season, sacked the manager (Eddie May) and appointed his own manager (Terry Yorath), who got rid of several key players and guided the club into the Second Division relegation zone. Then, a few months later, Cadman admitted that he didn't actually have any money to pay the former owner, so he gave the club back to him. The former owner then sacked Yorath and re-appointed May, who narrowly failed to save us from relegation.

What a season THAT was!

A hearty round of applause for LB for his continued accurate and unbiased reporting on the woes of CCFC.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
As much as I have slated cardiff on this board I am sad to see whats happened to them under the mad man who owns the club. I spoke to Lenny Lawrence when we played Derby and he seemed upbeat about their survival in an off the pitch sense.

Hamman is evil but if somebody is waving cash about then clubs starved of success will take it. Who knows one day DK might sell up to the wrong guy

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills

What a season THAT was!

Didnt they have that tosser Samesh Kumar in charge as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here