Votes: 14 11.6%
  • It is great fun for the kids

Votes: 38 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
How can you work out its an American import ?
It's based on Samhain a Celtic tradition over 2000 years old around for centuries in this country also.
The only American import is Trick Or Treat !!

DanielT

It's based on Samhain a Celtic tradition over 2000 years old around for centuries in this country also.

More than that in fact, it goes back to 500BC.

The giving of treats was part of samhain too, gifts for the spirits, which is the reason for the costumes, to appear to be a spirit.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't like the fact that it's taken over from Guy Fawkes as the main event at this time of year (though fortunately not so much in East Sussex). And largely in the name of health and safety!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

with no religious context in our secular-agnostic population, trick or treat is about all there is to haloween.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Halloween is what you make it. For me it's watching as many great horrors as I can pack in a week. Dressing up is y'know for kids. Shit poll by the way, I love it and I'm 40.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Anyone who tricks or treats here will have the hose turned on them (although looking at the weather forecast I might let nature take its own course).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Used to enjoy it until my parents told me Satan doesn't exist. :-(

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't mind it. For kids innit. I wouldn't put too much stock in the satanic bobbins Hybrid X et all spout on about, the date is significant in many different calendars, some more sinister than the rest but most not sinister at all and celebrating the souls of loved ones. Some folks find the bad in anything. You wanna be more upbeat, like me.

In my experience kids were more menacing with tricks when I was a nipper. Nowadays it's mostly Ocado kids and their PTA Mums knocking on doors. No harm.

As long as we still get bonfire night, black peas in vinegar, wellies, a few decent fireworks, I'm tickety boo. Not your Lewes snobbery either, proper bonfire on a village green where all are welcome.
Don't forget to check your bonfires for hibernating beasts though. Scream if you find a grizzly.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Point of fact, they weren't Celts. Celt is a fairly modern term used by lazy archaeologists. They would have ben Domnuii or similar. Cheers, bye.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Didn't get any callers last night - not that I would have answered the door, but I looked out when I was going to bed and I saw some adults taking their kids round - the kids must have been no more than 3 or 4, dressed up etc., .... but it was half past ten - WTF ?? it it just me that thinks that doesn't sound right.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
As a Catholic, I hate Halloween. Like Christmas, it has been overtaken by pagans and atheists who haven't a clue what they are "celebrating". It is another of society's empty rituals and is worse for being an import from the US.

As I said to someone yesterday: Here's a radical idea, on this first day of Hallowmas, please take a moment to remember the saints, martyrs, and the faithful departed (who might well be your loved-ones). After all, that is the point of today (All Hallows' Eve), tomorrow (All Saints' Day) and Tuesday (All Souls' Day).

Happy All Saints' Day!

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I could easily vote for all 3 options.

It is an awful american import, that doesn't fuss me greatly, but it is good fun for the kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here