[Other Sport] Haggler v Hearns

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I stayed up to listen to the R2 commentary in the early hours of a Tuesday I think. 8 minutes of measured brutality. Coming from a lighter weight, Hearns made the obvious blunder of going to war.

SRL, Hagler, Benitez, Hearns and Duran. An era that will never be matched imho.
Quite agree. Best ever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve watched all of Ray Leonard’s fights and he was a beautiful boxer. I think he would have beaten Floyd.

Same here. My favourite. Astonishingly skilled boxer, a sound chin, fast hand-speed and an under the radar brutal … the way he finished off true greats Benitez and Hearns was brutal.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I stayed up to listen to the R2 commentary in the early hours of a Tuesday I think. 8 minutes of measured brutality. Coming from a lighter weight, Hearns made the obvious blunder of going to war.

SRL, Hagler, Benitez, Hearns and Duran. An era that will never be matched imho.
Oh yes,.. Hearns was my favourite, 5 weight champion.... but that group created such a watchable mystique around those middleweight-ish fights... fantastic era .. Leonard the showman, Hagler the beast, Duran the don of the Mexicans, Hearns efficient hitman.... awesome.... the one sided Minter fight with Hagler was embarrassing, as was the racist comment he made, and the crowd trouble at the end of the fight, but the Sussex man had reached his level after beating Antofermo.....

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Same here. My favourite. Astonishingly skilled boxer, a sound chin, fast hand-speed and an under the radar brutal … the way he finished off true greats Benitez and Hearns was brutal.
Grew up watching him but only the big fights Duran, Hagler etc but watching his early stuff really shows he was a true star. Stood toe to toe with Duran and only lost on a split is incredible. I could talk boxing for hours but thankfully for others I won’t !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Grew up watching him but only the big fights Duran, Hagler etc but watching his early stuff really shows he was a true star. Stood toe to toe with Duran and only lost on a split is incredible. I could talk boxing for hours but thankfully for others I won’t !

In that era I used to have Ring magazine posted to me from the US. Probably all thrown away. Also loved the Camacho, Curry bros, Bramble, Mancini, Honeyghan, McGuigan fights in lower weights. ITV Saturday afternoons used to show extensive or total re-runs, commentary by Reg Gutteridge.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh yes,.. Hearns was my favourite, 5 weight champion.... but that group created such a watchable mystique around those middleweight-ish fights... fantastic era .. Leonard the showman, Hagler the beast, Duran the don of the Mexicans, Hearns efficient hitman.... awesome.... the one sided Minter fight with Hagler was embarrassing, as was the racist comment he made, and the crowd trouble at the end of the fight, but the Sussex man had reached his level after beating Antofermo.....

On Virgin TV (not sure which platform) about a year ago they aired a three parter When They Were Mings (?) about them. Magical prog.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
In that era I used to have Ring magazine posted to me from the US. Probably all thrown away. Also loved the Camacho, Curry bros, Bramble, Mancini, Honeyghan, McGuigan fights in lower weights. ITV Saturday afternoons used to show extensive or total re-runs, commentary by Reg Gutteridge.
Yeah I got ring magazine sent to my newsagent. It was usually 2 months out of date by that point but I would prize it more than anything. I got the monthly boxing videos/dvds from the back of ‘boxing monthly’ before YouTube was a thing. Used to watch them to death.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah I got ring magazine sent to my newsagent. It was usually 2 months out of date by that point but I would prize it more than anything. I got the monthly boxing videos/dvds from the back of ‘boxing monthly’ before YouTube was a thing. Used to watch them to death.

Were 70’s fights before your time?

I was very young but remember Manilla, Zaire, and assorted other fights eg Sibson v Lucas, incredible Jim Watt nights at the Kelvin Hall Glasgow. I must’ve pinched my Dad’s radio for R2 coverage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports