Haggis isn't Scottish

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
It's just been announced that this disgusting dish featured in a recently discovered English recipe book from the 1600s, decades before it first appears in Scots folklore. They will now have to think of something else to serve up on Burns' Night, which I imagine will come as a relief to some of our kilted friends. Deep-fried Mars bar, B&H Alba?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It's a Scandanavian thing which has 'ancestors' as far back as the Romans and Vikings ain't it? It certainly wasn't invented in Britain at any rate...

Edit: seconded, BoF - I love it.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Another vote for haggis...just not keen on the neeps!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Haggis neeps and tatties yum.
Indeed. One of my favourite dishes. (Mash the neeps with butter and pepper).

Anyway, as a slight aside, never mind who invented haggis, I'm more impressed at the first person to drink milk. Who first pointed at a cow and said "See that big thing over there? See the pink bit with spikes hanging underneath? I going to go up to it, squeeze the pink thing, see what comes out - and then drink it!" They must have been SO pissed.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Haggis: one of the two best things to come out of Scotland (the other being my missus!)

The name apparently derives from the title 'hag's soup', because offal was given to the exceedingly poor, many of which were widows who had lost their source of money (and therefore food), or were sent to the slaughterhouses to beg for the parts that were normally thrown out or fed to dogs.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love it with baked beans, and tomato ketchup (but also with tatties and neeps). Also, McSweens vegetarian Haggis is yum too. This thread has remionded me I have a couple in the freezer, I might just go and take one out for my dinner tonight

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have never tried Haggis (shame on me...), but this thread has inspired me. Where should I go to sample this dish (apart from Scotland)?

Last edited:

Indeed. One of my favourite dishes. (Mash the neeps with butter and pepper).

Anyway, as a slight aside, never mind who invented haggis, I'm more impressed at the first person to drink milk. Who first pointed at a cow and said "See that big thing over there? See the pink bit with spikes hanging underneath? I going to go up to it, squeeze the pink thing, see what comes out - and then drink it!" They must have been SO pissed.
What about his mate who said ... "Nah. Don't drink it. Just save it in a bucket, stir it for hours and hours, then leave it for a few months until it's all gone yellow and solid. It'll taste brilliant with Marmite"?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What about his mate who said ... "Nah. Don't drink it. Just save it in a bucket, stir it for hours and hours, then leave it for a few months until it's all gone yellow and solid. It'll taste brilliant with Marmite"?
Talking of Marmite how did that get discovered? Who was the first person to scrape out the sludge at the bottom of a brewer's vat and say "Tell you what, I'm going to put that on me toast tonight. It'll go well with that congealed milk."

We owe SUCH a debt of gratitude to those early, unsung cultural pioneers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports