Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Had chat with Steve Claridge yesterday

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
I met him at Fontwell racing yesterday and asked him why he said gus's style of passing football would struggle this season. He said he'd been misquoted and what he said was that some games we would have to change our passing style as the opposition would shut us down alot quicker.

He had so much praise for gus, the team, stadium and the fans and said the we should finish in the top 6 and that gus will buy after xmas if we are in with a shout of promotion. Top bloke and seems to have a big admiration for the albion:bhasign:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
To be fair he is correct, we do need a plan B for when our passing game get's closed down.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'd say he's been proven right

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
on telly he said we would struggle against teams who swamped the midfield but in the papers it said we would struggle playing the passing game this season in the championship...
theres a big difference in these 2 statements !!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I saw it with my own eyes and heard it with m own ears. He said we would struggle in the Championship playing passing football

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Although not a long ball supporter I feel we are playing the passing game too slowly with the result that our strikers are well marked before the ball reaches them,recent games where we have had good possession have not led to goals,yet we still keep to plan A.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Fair comments from Claridge (Yesterday)
I'm actually developing a lot of respect for him, he seems to know his Football and has watched us on numerous occassions now.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I saw it with my own eyes and heard it with m own ears. He said we would struggle in the Championship playing passing football

He has got a point insofar that we cannot stick to a passing style when the opposition snuffs it out and we don't adapt with another strategy. We have to remember that Swansea played the passing style last season and got away with it ending up being promoted , it will be extremely difficult to replicate that now teams are able to counteract it.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I've got both his autobiographies and he said how much he enjoyed his time at the club, with sympathy for the fans having to suffer Withdean but Claridge really felt Mark McGhee treated him badly. He said that the club didn't have any money to extend his one-month contract but the following week signed Mark McCammon on nearly 2k a week. Claridge is still quite bitter about his man-management skills.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Fair comments from Claridge (Yesterday)
I'm actually developing a lot of respect for him, he seems to know his Football and has watched us on numerous occassions now.

To have such a long career as he did, he must have learnt something along the way.

His comments from yesterday as quoted here, are sadly were acute.

Mints

Banned
May 24, 2011
I met him at Fontwell racing yesterday and asked him why he said gus's style of passing football would struggle this season. He said he'd been misquoted and what he said was that some games we would have to change our passing style as the opposition would shut us down alot quicker.

He had so much praise for gus, the team, stadium and the fans and said the we should finish in the top 6 and that gus will buy after xmas if we are in with a shout of promotion. Top bloke and seems to have a big admiration for the albion:bhasign:

The guys a ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here