Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hackers

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Some git...or gits...have hacked my e-mail account.

I discovered this yesterday afternoon when I received an undeliverable e-mail warning, meaning that someone in my contacts list had changed their address and not received something sent from my account...checked my outbox and it had a fair few sent e-mails, none of them by me, there were more today.

I have now deleted all of my contacts, in the hope that this will stop, but am now resigned to having to change my e-mail and go through the nause of letting everyone know.

However, I reckon that whatever took over my e-mail may still be on my computer and am reluctant to get a new account before I am certain that whatever did it has gone. I have Norton 360, which I hope would have discovered anything that shouldn't be on my computer, but I am not convinced.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them and what did you do to your computer to be as certain as possible that it was free from any viruses.

Cheers in advance,

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
This happened to me while I was in Turkey. I tried to access my e mails once through my phone out there, and wonder now if the network was not secure.

I changed my password and it has been fine since.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
It is nigh on impossible that you've been hacked.

What you've probably done is opened an attachment from an email that has been infected or, been to a website and clicked on a link that you shouldn't have done!

Firstly, if you have been infected, run any good anti-virus software over your system (Norton is not a very good one) and see what it turns up.

Secondly, access your email account from another computer to find out whether your home computer has been infected.

It really sounds like a trojan, if it is, then sorry but it's user stupidity.

You haven't said what email account you're using, that would help to find out what your problem is.

Sep 1, 2010
E-Mail accounts ARE easy to hack(with the right software) if your using open public wi-fi or mobile devices so it is not impossible at all.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Had the same thing happen to me earlier this year and as Sam says AVG did the job of finding the trojan that caused the problem. You also need to change your email account password to something secure, ie includes characters outside 0-9 and a-z and throw in a few capitals as well to stop password guessing programs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here