Gutted

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I'm not talking about ex players, or as you disrectfully fully referred to them as misfits(inc your hero FDM) but the managers, who won national awards for our Community work.
I would have thought Brighton fans would have been more wary than most of money men.

I can't help but feel there's a difference between money men who buy your club for £56 with the sole intention of asset stripping it including selling the ground for their own financial gain and money men who invest the best part of £120m of their own cash building a stadium, team and training facility.

If Tony Bloom is doing all this for the same reasons as Bill Archer then he's going about at all wrong.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think with FFP coming in the playing budget will invariably be reduced. However, it will be the same for every team in the division with the exception of parachute payments (and that didn't do Wolves much good) so relatively it won't be so bad if we continue bringing in revenue and managing costs.

This is where the much maligned Paul Barber comes in.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
This evening is as depressing as when Southampton drew 0-0 with Spurs in 1978. Virtually managerless, rudderless - a joke after all our efforts in securing our stadium at Falmer. What actually has gone on at our Club in recent weeks? Who is to blame for the wheels coming off so spectacularly -were cracks being papered over for several months or did it all go pear shaped in May? We should be told, but of course we never will be.

Oh and has the poogate culprit been identified? Surely we can at least be told that - and that disciplinary proceedings are underway.

As someone who hasn't invested many millions in the Club, I feel absolutely gutted. I'm sure though that all the key players who were so united in months gone by, must feel a whole lot worse tonight.

No body died mate, life goes on pal! Could be worse, could've been your millions invested? :)

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Which money man should we be wary of?

Is it Tony Bloom, who is £150m down on Project Albion, and has no guaranteed way of recouping a single penny of that? Or is it Amex, a company worth an absolute fortune who have been prepared to pump millions into the Albion at a difficult time and have absolutely nothing to gain by playing a part in any sort of demise of the club?

TB won't recoup a single penny? Think u may not know him as well as u may think!

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I think with FFP coming in the playing budget will invariably be reduced. However, it will be the same for every team in the division with the exception of parachute payments (and that didn't do Wolves much good) so relatively it won't be so bad if we continue bringing in revenue and managing costs.

We have the biggest crowds in the division. We sell more food and drink at games than anybody else in the division. And by the looks of things, our hospitality packages must be up there for bringing in one of the highest totals for that particular revenue stream in the division.

Our budget should therefore in theory be one of the better ones once FFP kicks in. When you put all those above factors together, an £8m loss is totally unacceptable. And if stemming that so we can have a more competitive budget means letting Paul Barber lose on getting things under control and at the same time losing some of the Village WI committee feeling of the club, then so be it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The future is still bright, and the albion still rising.

Of course there is uncertainty about a new manager, but that's only been for 2 weeks - a few years ago, we went a whole summer without one.

I have nothing but support for Tony, and actually reckon that in 12 months time, we'll in the Premier League ourselves.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
We have the biggest crowds in the division. We sell more food and drink at games than anybody else in the division. And by the looks of things, our hospitality packages must be up there for bringing in one of the highest totals for that particular revenue stream in the division.

Our budget should therefore in theory be one of the better ones once FFP kicks in. When you put all those above factors together, an £8m loss is totally unacceptable. And if stemming that so we can have a more competitive budget means letting Paul Barber lose on getting things under control and at the same time losing some of the Village WI committee feeling of the club, then so be it.

This is my thinking. Remember we are still 'allowed' a £5 million loss next year though.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Which money man should we be wary of?

Is it Tony Bloom, who is £150m down on Project Albion, and has no guaranteed way of recouping a single penny of that? Or is it Amex, a company worth an absolute fortune who have been prepared to pump millions into the Albion at a difficult time and have absolutely nothing to gain by playing a part in any sort of demise of the club?

Well I didn't say he won't recoup a penny and I didn't claim to know him.

My point is that spending £150m on a third division football club with no history of success is a very peculiar plan of action for an asset stripper.

Oh sorry, my mistake!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

The only thing I would say against this is that several clubs will be benefiting from parachute payments, which are huge - like the size of our entire wage bill huge.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Bring it on. BHAFC is far too keen to help kids/retards etc rather than focus on its job, which is to produce a winning football team. I don't really care if 1,000 people have been taught how to use Microsoft Word, tie their own shoelaces or kick a ball around a park. I just want Ulloa to score goals and Kuszczak to save them. Let's get our priorities right and divert ALL resources to the playing staff rather than trying to be a professional football club and a glorified scout group all the time.

Whilst the initial part of your post is the usual shock jock drivel, the last has a lot of truth in it. Why bother with aitc at all? Unless its to link to the next generation of suporters etc. And don't forget, it was the community element of the club that got American express and their multi millions interested in the Albion in the first place!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
FFS move in, the past is history as the majority of the fans are clueless as to what we were and are only interested in what happens now.

And how did a significant part of those new and returned fans get involved in the club this time around? A mix of community involvement, attractive product and brilliant venue perhaps. That's what will bring through the next generations. Many on here have commented on seeing the local youth now more keen on wearing Albion kits. That work started with the free young seagulls scheme started 8 years ago.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Unfortunately, such is the way of modern football that I can see no way that a team who wants to succeed at this level and certainly in the Premier League can have the set up of the Vicar of Dibley committee and expect to do so.

Tony Bloom has every right to expect to make at least a little back of some of the £120m+ he has spent on the club so far. And that won't happen if he is concerned about keeping a small section of the support who are used to being on first name terms with the board happy. It certainly won't happen when, given record pie sales, attendance and hospitality figures we are still managing to make an £8m loss.

Without him, there would be no Amex. He's got every right to run things as he sees fit and if a small clique of people don't like it because they aren't in the know anymore than that's a price I daresay most Albion fans would be willing to pay.

How to miss the point entirely. I think tony bloom is a god, and I don't believe anybody is saying otherwise. And if you read what I actually said rather than what you think I said, the point I made was in the handling of the change rather than whether a change is needed. At the end of the day, the strategy is Tony B's, the implementation will be done by others.

But is aitc is such a failure as some like beach hut say, how come when a premier league London side advertised a senior role in their own charitable community scheme, 4 of the 6 short listed for interview from the over a hundred applicants came from aitc? Clearly others in the industry don't see them as noddy, shambles or poor managers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Wolves fecked up big time as did Blackburn but I doubt we'll see the likes of that again. The gap between "parachuted" clubs and others will grow substantially and they will be better prepared and will be wary of doing a Wolves.

Just looking at the basic numbers it's difficult to see how we compete. Revenue looks to be pretty well maxed out and reducing costs means arguably a weaker squad assuming Barber has stripped out all the non playing waste. Only upside I see is that a bunch of others are in same boat. Does reinforce the need for an academy, though we're 5/6 years away from seeing any benefit there and in short term only adds to the cost (unless that cost is exempt from FFP)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
TB won't recoup a single penny? Think u may not know him as well as u may think!

Agree. Plenty of people make plenty of money from football clubs. It's a myth to simply discard all football investments as burning money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports