Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus's most damning statistic

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If we hadn't had two keepers making cock ups we would have gone up automatically too. Beasley the gk coach out.

Indeed. If we'd have attacked more and lost two more games we could have not even made play-offs

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We've lost every game where I haven't had a pint of Harveys. Must drink more beer.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
If only this had been discussed before. FWIW the 91 games stat is a falsity - how many have we actually gone behind in that time? For example, if we'd NEVER gone behind in 2 seasons, Doncaster would still be the last time we'd won from behind. It's irrelevant for all the games we score first.

I think you need to look at the post at the top of the page ???

Unless I am reading it wrongly we have gone behind 44 times since Doncaster and not turned any game into a victory.

I don't know how this compares to other teams, but we do know that we drew too many games during the season, and we also know that in the 'cup-tie' scenario of the play-offs our style was found wanting.

A league format suits Gus's style because in each five game cycle, say, you can win two, draw two and lose one and still average enough points to be in the play-offs.

But, surely this is an area that needs to be considered when development of the 'style' or 'identity' of football Brighton wish to adopt now and in the future, because it does indicate a tactical problem.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
One stat that is being overlooked is this was only our second season in The Championship for a while , other teams who have been in The Championship for several years and once they get a lead know how to keep it that way or at least get a draw because they have the experience.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Post of the season. Spot on

And I fear had Gus stayed, not only would that stat not have changed, but more and more clubs would have learnt the way to counter his style, and we would have ended up higher mid table.

We ended up 9 points better than last season.

In black and white that suggests a big big step forward..... and would have been if he had the same squad available to him and had merely improved that.

But for the money he spent and the players he had available, I can't see how anyone can argue that is a big improvement.

No offensive to big Peter, but Kuszczak was worth more than 9 points on his own when you compare his performances this season with the keepers the year before.

Not to mention the improvements all over the squad, I would argue a 9 point improvement with those additional players was not a forward step. Far from it.

That is why I am so delighted Poyet has gone. He was tactically limited, when his system worked it was some of the best football you could hope to see, when it didn't it was so frustrating and boring, and if he had the will/ability to switch tactics, not only would we be a premiership club now, but he'd probably already be have been named the new Everton manager, but he cant and he didn't, and that is why I am amazed that so many think he will just walk into a Premiership job.

All I would say to this is be careful what you wish for.

9 defeats all season, a 4th place finish, just 4 points off automatic, in only our second season in what is widely acknowledged as being one of the toughest and most competative leagues in Europe. This was achieved against clubs far more established at this level, with larger budgets, and many with recent Premier League experience.

You might be "delighted" that Gus has gone - I certainly am not (although I accept his position is now untenable). Yes, our inability to react to being a goal down was an achilles heal and hugely frustrating, but that was, in my opinion, HUGELY outweighed by the fact that we were the most difficult team in the league to defeat, and came within touching distance of going up this year.

Whoever comes in to replace Gus has got a VERY tough act to follow.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
All I would say to this is be careful what you wish for.

9 defeats all season, a 4th place finish, just 4 points off automatic, in only our second season in what is widely acknowledged as being one of the toughest and most competative leagues in Europe. This was achieved against clubs far more established at this level, with larger budgets, and many with recent Premier League experience.

You might be "delighted" that Gus has gone - I certainly am not (although I accept his position is now untenable). Yes, our inability to react to being a goal down was an achilles heal and hugely frustrating, but that was, in my opinion, HUGELY outweighed by the fact that we were the most difficult team in the league to defeat, and came within touching distance of going up this year.

Whoever comes in to replace Gus has got a VERY tough act to follow.

Completely and utterly THIS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One stat that is being overlooked is this was only our second season in The Championship for a while , other teams who have been in The Championship for several years and once they get a lead know how to keep it that way or at least get a draw because they have the experience.

This season we didn't lose a game where we scored first, so gained experience from our first season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Highest finish for 30 seasons.

Is that a damning statistic?

We have spent money on the squad, but so have other clubs, we are not operating in a vacuum.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This argument is tired, old, wrong and I'm so bored of it that its now my number 1 reason for wanting Gus out.

The statistics itself is USELESS unless you provide context, I.e. the same figures for every other team in the league.

Gus DID have a plan B - which was utilised many times. If you can't see that the frankly you don't understand football.

It's time for him to go, but to finish 4th is brilliant. Stop wingeing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just seen this, which 3 cup games did we lose from a winning position this last season gone?

Swindon was 3-0
Arsenal was 3-2 but not sure if we led?
Palace was 2-0 (assuming you counted playoffs)

I'm confused...

Whoops, my bad. I put those tables together quickly and copy and pasted the from behind to create the when winning table because I was being lazy and didn't want to type out the column and row headers, and forgot to delete the three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here