Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to prem in two years

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm with you on that. Of course i'd love us to be higher, but as long as we're progressing ( which atm we are) I'm happy. If you think failing to reach the playoffs is failure then imo you don't understand the division. In fact that's what gets me. with all the clubs with either parachute payments or having money thrown at them ( such as Leicester and Cardiff) our resources aren't anything special yet some people seem to think anything less than automatic promotion is failure.
I don't think we could/would/should get promoted.
I don't believe we can compete with Cardiff and Leicester.

But that's where it ends for me.

Points wise we are in touching distance with Charlton in 12th.
That includes, 'Wall, Forest, Leeds, Burnley.

We are a distance behind
'Boro, Palace, Watford & Hull.

None of that sits right with me.
We might not have the money but we certainly have the players, style and skill, to have at least 2 of those teams looking up at us. Putting us completely out of sight to those below us.

Sure recent points dropped have cost us, and we could well be nicely set for the run in.
'Settling' for 7th just isn't on.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You talking about Blackburn, Wolves and Bolton I take it???...Take a look around my friend and our squad. Five in August, £2m on Ulloa, maybe another £2m on Virgil. On a team that finished 9th last season, more seats going in, losing money hand over fist. You don't need to be Inspector Morse to know, that not making the play offs will be a failure.

I totally agree it looks like we are going for it this season, and if not this definitely next. Is "failure" the same as "massive cock-up" ? Football is too difficult to predict say that not making the play-offs will be seen as "massive cock-up". As long as we are building and progressing many people will be happy. Will Tony Bloom be happy ? That is a different question. I just do not know.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't think we could/would/should get promoted.
I don't believe we can compete with Cardiff and Leicester.

But that's where it ends for me.

Points wise we are in touching distance with Charlton in 12th.
That includes, 'Wall, Forest, Leeds, Burnley.

We are a distance behind
'Boro, Palace, Watford & Hull.

None of that sits right with me.
We might not have the money but we certainly have the players, style and skill, to have at least 2 of those teams looking up at us. Putting us completely out of sight to those below us.

Sure recent points dropped have cost us, and we could well be nicely set for the run in.
'Settling' for 7th just isn't on.

Quite agree. With the squad we have we should be second, third or fourth with only one or two points behind first quote frankly.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Someone needs to tell me what experience Gus at this moment in time can bring to the premiership and what achievements he has to show any premiership chairman or board that he can do a job. Lambert got the villa job, because of what he has done with Norwich, what are villa doing at the moment. Atkins lost his job last week. Brian McDermott has done nothing special with Reading in the premiership. These were all managers that were touted at the end of last season as up and coming. Now look at our league now Zola must be getting noticed now with the job he is doing with Watford and Mackay with Cardif. All these are managers that are getting clubs promoted or in with a chance of promotion. Gus has shown that he can manage a team in league 1 and has yet to show that he can get a club in with a shout of promotion in the championship. When that happens then maybe he might have a premiership club looking at him, IMO it would be a club in the championship with a big budget to spend who may take him from us

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why not ? Most of the season has been spent out of the top six so there has consistantly been at least six clubs better than us.
8th seems to be our spot of choice.
Making 7 clubs consistently above us.

Now if that were the same 7 clubs then fair enough.

But it's not we have been leap frogged by most, while climbing above others, all the while staying in 8th.

In the meantime we've cost ourselves a fair few points.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I love this fantasy that some people seem to have that if we wait a couple of years then when we get promoted we are more likely to stay there. I suspect that whenever we go up, we will come down the next season. But when we do, we'll have the benefit of the extra cash and, rather like WBA, you get back up and then establish yourself, if you can. On that basis, you always look to get promoted at the very first opportunity. That was last year. The next opportuniy is this year. Also, how much harder will it be to keep Bridcutt in the summer?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I'm with you on that. Of course i'd love us to be higher, but as long as we're progressing ( which atm we are) I'm happy. If you think failing to reach the playoffs is failure then imo you don't understand the division. In fact that's what gets me. with all the clubs with either parachute payments or having money thrown at them ( such as Leicester and Cardiff) our resources aren't anything special yet some people seem to think anything less than automatic promotion is failure.
What an unusual post...............someone that sees the real reality of this division! Totally agree with you Scampi. Does make me laugh how some on here need to be in Premier League next year or everyone is a failure! Note these will be the very people moaning when prices of everything go up because we are in the Premier League!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I love this fantasy that some people seem to have that if we wait a couple of years then when we get promoted we are more likely to stay there. I suspect that whenever we go up, we will come down the next season. But when we do, we'll have the benefit of the extra cash and, rather like WBA, you get back up and then establish yourself, if you can. On that basis, you always look to get promoted at the very first opportunity. That was last year. The next opportuniy is this year. Also, how much harder will it be to keep Bridcutt in the summer?

Spot on. The "don't want to go up this year" people are daft in my view

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here