Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to prem in two years

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It must be on here already - but I couldn't see it, so sorry fro new thread.
In a decent match report in the Sunday Telegraph "If I don't go up to the Premiership with Brighton in the next few years then I am going to get there". I think we need to go up this year or next.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It must be on here already - but I couldn't see it, so sorry fro new thread.
In a decent match report in the Sunday Telegraph "If I don't go up to the Premiership with Brighton in the next few years then I am going to get there". I think we need to go up this year or next.
In a Sunday paper last week an article about Little Josh, TBs racehorse he wants to enter for The Grand National it said he has laid a large bet on us getting to the Premier by 2015

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
He will get there with us, it's just a shot across TB's bow that he has to support his manager & spend what needs to be spent to get us there, and he will.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Gus will be a premiership manager and it will be with Brighton it's a project in progress

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
If Poyet doesn't manage to get us into the Premier League in the next 2 years no one will be in for him anyway. Good manager but he's got a healthy budget plus Brighton getting into the Premier League is expected sooner or later by most people in football so it will hardly be the greatest feat. If he wants to go to one of the big boys he needs to get us there in style and put in some stellar performances against some big teams. Before then, Mr Poyet is dreaming and being very disrespectful to his current employers.

If Albion's promotion to the Premier League was merely a matter of how much money Tony Bloom would spend on players, it would prove NOTHING about Gus Poyet's abilities as a manager. I reckon ANYONE could get, say, the current Barcelona side to a comfortable second place spot in the Championship ... even Jimmy Case could achieve that.

Achieving a sustainable promotion with a team that is not a great deal different from the current Albion squad, by pursuing "a project", over a three or four year period, is a real sign of managerial ability. That's the test that Gus seems to have set himself.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If Poyet does not get us in the play off's this year, with what he has had at his disposal. It will be seen as a massive cock up, despite what many on here think. We need 1.8 points per game, to reach 76 pts, which should just scrape into the play offs. That's nearly champions form from here on in. It's going to be tight.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If Poyet does not get us in the play off's this year, with what he has had at his disposal. It will be seen as a massive cock up, despite what many on here think. We need 1.8 points per game, to reach 76 pts, which should just scrape into the play offs. That's nearly champions form from here on in. It's going to be tight.

Who will see it as that ? I won't. If you mean Tony Bloom do you have any particular insight, or is it conjecture ?

When three clubs have parachute payments of £24M this season and others money from the previous year it is hardly a level playing field.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have believed for some time that this season is a play off or near play off place and next season automatic.

Ambitious to think we'll go from nearly play offs this season to automatic next. This season has been odd in so much as the three relegated clubs have (so far) been gash we won't have that next season, so it's going to be a toughie for sure.

Think we need to make the play offs this season as a minimum to give us the impetus for next

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Who will see it as that ? I won't. If you mean Tony Bloom do you have any particular insight, or is it conjecture ?

When three clubs have parachute payments of £24M this season and others money from the previous year it is hardly a level playing field.

You talking about Blackburn, Wolves and Bolton I take it???...Take a look around my friend and our squad. Five in August, £2m on Ulloa, maybe another £2m on Virgil. On a team that finished 9th last season, more seats going in, losing money hand over fist. You don't need to be Inspector Morse to know, that not making the play offs will be a failure.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
In a Sunday paper last week an article about Little Josh, TBs racehorse he wants to enter for The Grand National it said he has laid a large bet on us getting to the Premier by 2015

Fell yesterday but got up ok, not sure he'd get into the National as things stand.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I wonder if TB has a shortlist of candidates to ponder over should GP depart unexpectedly? would be fascinating to know who's on it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Once again harsh but fair.

I for one will, because it will mean there are at least 6 teams in this division better that us.
I cannot see how that would be possible.

I wont be disappointed if we only reach 7th or 8th this season provided we are learning as we go and bringing in better players.
I just don't see how you can say that.

This season the 3 relegated teams and 3 promoted teams haven't featured.
That leaves just 18 teams, and of those you're putting us just above mid table.

Who's to say next season QPR, Reading and Wigan (as it stands) don't use the money better.
2 of the 3 non promoted play-off teams step up from the experience.
Chuck in a couple of dark horses and a promoted team.
All of a sudden those on this board who think 7th or 8th won't be a failure, could be looking at that as the AMEX highlight.

Sure if my granny had gonads ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if TB has a shortlist of candidates to ponder over should GP depart unexpectedly? would be fascinating to know who's on it

Looking at how the club is run, I'd imagine it would be easier to compile a list of top European managers NOT handing over their CV.

Giving Calde the job will be brave but a decision I support.

tommyseagull

Jan 11, 2012
I'd be quite happy if we do finish just outside the playoffs this season and then tear the championship up next season and finish top

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I dont expect us to go up this season. I hope we do, but dont expect it. It may not even be next season. Many of the clubs that do go up have spent season after season just missing out, before it clicks. Ok, there are a couple that contradict this - Norwich and Southampton, in recent years, but generally its a season on season process.

To call not getting promoted this season a "failure" is just arrogant nonsense. Relax, - we'll get there eventually. This is a club on the up. But its not a miracle club.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I wont be disappointed if we only reach 7th or 8th this season provided we are learning as we go and bringing in better players.

I'm with you on that. Of course i'd love us to be higher, but as long as we're progressing ( which atm we are) I'm happy. If you think failing to reach the playoffs is failure then imo you don't understand the division. In fact that's what gets me. with all the clubs with either parachute payments or having money thrown at them ( such as Leicester and Cardiff) our resources aren't anything special yet some people seem to think anything less than automatic promotion is failure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here