Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus threatens to walk out of Sunderland...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting the spin that can be given to the same quote by two newspapers in their headlines

The Shields Gazette: - I’ll quit if my team gives up

The Telegraph:- Gus Poyet refuses to give up fight for Premier League survival

Except the first comment came straight from Gus' mouth and is far more telling than him suggesting that Sunderland will keep fighting imo.

Managers don't generally make references to walking out after a defeat, unnecessary knee jerk comment that I bet surprised some Sunderland fans. Brighton fans, however, will have known it was only a matter of time after a rough run that this would happen. The budget constraints will be the next to surface no doubt.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Non story when you read it in full. Reporter asks him if his team is going to give up and he replies in lovely Gus style. At least he is frank, open and honest. I'd like to see more of that from Oscar.

Story in full:

SUNDERLAND boss Goyet remains defiant that his side will keep on fighting – otherwise he’ll walk away.

Poyet cut a disconsolate figure as a must-win game against West Ham ended in a defeat which left his side four points adrift of Premier League safety with eight games to play.

Sunderland lost 2-1 at the Stadium of Light to leave them staring relegation in the face.

However, Poyet remained defiant as he considered the task ahead.

He said: “Look, if my team gives up, I will leave. Nobody will need to sack me, I will leave on my own, so if you see this team giving up before the end of the season, you won’t see me here.”

Sunderland have now won only one of their last nine home league games and taken just a single point from the last 18 they have contested.

Asked if the Black Cats could stay up, Poyet said: “Well, if we play like we played against Liverpool and today in the next eight games, we are going to have a great chance.

“Now the crystal ball, I can tell you, is not in my house, so I am not going to try to read the future because I’m not very good at that.”

So, to précis:

My. I. Me. I. My. Me. I. My. I. I'm.

Sounds familiar?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem with Sunderland is that they appoint managers who are simply too modest.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Poyet. He used to manage Brighton hence the interest in him on this site. Hope this helps.

Interest or obsession?

I always like to keep a track of ex-players and managers and wish them all (or rather most of them) well. I just think we still have a bit of a Poyet obsession going on?

Thank you for clearing that up, most helpful indeed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Doesn't say what he will do if the team is still trying but failing though? He might need to be sacked then.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't necessarily see much of a problem with managing a club that gets relegated. It doesn't reflect badly on Poyet any more than it did for Coppell when he managed us in 2002/03. It's not as if Poyet took a club that was mid-table to the bottom.

He is getting dangerously close to PDC's run of consecutive defeats-the run that ended with him being fired. 1 more defeat equals it I think.

To be fair to Poyet he did inherit a bit of a shambles of a club and looked as though he might get them to mid-table safety. I still think he'll keep them up but mainly thanks to the dross at the bottom of the Premier League more than his capabilities and prowess in the transfer market.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He won't walk, he wouldn't let Tanno, Oatway or Bridcutt down.

There will be quite a good budget available to him next season so unless he is sacked he will be fighting for promotion.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Suspect that he is less worried about hitting the ceiling this year and more concerned with the floor!!!

But that floor will be the one well above our ceiling at the moment.

He'll only be back in the same division as us, with much more money to spend and almost certainly a better squad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But that floor will be the one well above our ceiling at the moment.

He'll only be back in the same division as us, with much more money to spend and almost certainly a better squad.

Bring it on!!!!

The showdown between Oscar and Gus, look forward to it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He won't walk, he wouldn't let Tanno, Oatway or Bridcutt down.

There will be quite a good budget available to him next season so unless he is sacked he will be fighting for promotion.

Strongly suspect that Tanno and Oatway are as much passengers at Sunderland as they were at the Albion. The same passenger role currently filled at the Albion by Nathan Jones. That's part of both clubs problems IMHO.

And no way will Poyet be hanging around for the obligatory 'we will bounce right back' season while the Premier League shop window beckons. He'll make himself available for any chairman daft enough to sign him. Next stop Newcastle maybe?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
And no way will Poyet be hanging around for the obligatory 'we will bounce right back' season while the Premier League shop window beckons. He'll make himself available for any chairman daft enough to sign him. Next stop Newcastle maybe?

The brand will be tarnished if he doesn't keep them up though. He has had plenty of time, and there are some seriously rubbish teams in the bottom third. Why get Gus if he can't keep you in the Premiership.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Patently starting to lay the groundwork for his World Cup pundit gig.

If there is any justice in this world (God, Allah, Thor and the rest I am asking you) then it would be something special on Thursday 19th July at half time when England are 3-0 up on Uruguay and Lineker turns to Gus and says breaking news Gus what have you got to say you have been sacked by Sunderland....... Oh the silence could be heard broken only by a loud cheer from Sussex

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
The brand will be tarnished if he doesn't keep them up though. He has had plenty of time, and there are some seriously rubbish teams in the bottom third. Why get Gus if he can't keep you in the Premiership.

He's made some ridiculous team selections, topped by leaving Johnson out last night. His January signings have been truly woeful as well.
I can't see a PL club coming calling soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here