Gus staying?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If i was the chairman.......then i would appoint Poyet as our manager, because of all the rumoured applicants ,he is the best .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Im not the most reliable on this but at the time I was certain he spoke to Reading with permission from our club but he rejected it. Ive even heard rumours on here he was upset that Albion gave him permission to speak to Reading.

I expect we'll never fully know the whole truth.

Probably for the best too.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was under, perhaps the incorrect impression, that the Reading job was down to the final two, one would cost nothing the other £2.5million, they went for the cheaper option, and perhaps used the money saved to finance the signing of Wayne Bridge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So one person reckons that he is staying and within a few posts one says he definitely isn't, both allegedly have good sauces. Got to love NSC

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was under, perhaps the incorrect impression, that the Reading job was down to the final two, one would cost nothing the other £2.5million, they went for the cheaper option, and perhaps used the money saved to finance the signing of Wayne Bridge.

How do you know that Adkins was a cheaper option? He was on gardening leave.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You're right. I have googled it and done a search on the Argus website.
The Argus came close with this article.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10301873.Poyet_s_odds_for_Reading_job_slashed/

But the only reports of our club giving permission were in the various media, nothing official.

Given that players are given permission to speak to other higher placed league clubs and Gus often stating that even if he didn't want players to leave he wouldn't stand in their way, I'd totally understand things going wrong if the club denied him the opportunity if his contract had a get out clause for a fee.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Whatever - I just want this sorted one way or the other this week. I've supported the Albion for the last 50 years and will continue to do so until I die. Although this has been a destabilising few weeks some of the crap posted on here has been unbelievable. Whoever the manager is I'll be 110% behind them and so should everyone else who calls themselves a fan.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
How do you know that Adkins was a cheaper option? He was on gardening leave

I understood that he couldn't take a job because of his ongoing court case with Southampton, therefore you would think he dropped it to take the Reading job. And as a free agent there would be no need to pay compensation.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I thought that under League rules it was the club that had to be given permission to speak to managers or players under contract not the individuals.

If that is the case then Brighton obviously gave Reading permission to speak to Gus otherwise I would have expected to see a complaint made by BHAFC over the talks that did take place.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
So one person reckons that he is staying and within a few posts one says he definitely isn't, both allegedly have good sauces. Got to love NSC

The worst thing is, though, one of them will be right. And then we won't hear the end of the "I told you so"s...

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The only possible way Poyet will be here next season is if. A- Nobody wants him enough to pay up or B- Bloom can't find enough money to pay him off....Either scenario would be very bad news for us moving forward...But it 100% isn't going to happen.

Unfortunately I think this scenario is shaping up to be likely.
Gus would then hope to get Brighton off to a good start and then around Oct/Nov when the first Premier League managers start getting sacked he then gets a new job and we get some compensation and don't owe Poyet any outstanding money.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The worst thing is, though, one of them will be right. And then we won't hear the end of the "I told you so"s...

So will HP or Tommy K be the winner :wink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought that under League rules it was the club that had to be given permission to speak to managers or players under contract not the individuals.

If that is the case then Brighton obviously gave Reading permission to speak to Gus otherwise I would have expected to see a complaint made by BHAFC over the talks that did take place.

Unless he didn't talk to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports