Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus seeks reassurances from Tony Bloom about the future!!!

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Gus had a good season, 4th is a fantastic achievement. Good game away on Friday, did well to keep a clean sheet. Got it completely wrong last night.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
When did Gus ask for more money in the national media? I must have missed this.

Read between the lines of his post match interview. Not the first time he's done it either... more than once in the past he's complained about wage budgets being too small.

Don't get me wrong he's a fantastic manager and I hope he stays for a long time, but it doesn't hide the fact that I'm frustrated by the comments.

Because Barber has been publicly banging on about our budget and not over stretching etc, so is barber unprofessional in doing that? Poyet sent a warning shot of his own, help me improve this team to get to the prem!
We have an ambitious manager that wants to take BHAFC to the prem, and some are shocked that he is asking for more money to do it?
I would hate a manager that doesn't tell fans like it is. Publicly tell us more!

If we continue to run at an annual loss of around £8m (as is budgeted for 2012/13 according to PB) then this is spot on the FFP loss limit for 2013/14 so the manager won't have any more money, however much fuss he makes either publicly or in private. What PB has been trying to convey in recent months is the importance reducing this loss by maximising income and reducing expenditure in order that more can be diverted to team development. Incidentally, the FFP loss limit for 2014/15 is £6m and £5m for 2015/16 and thereafter.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
"How come Palace were so fired up last night"

Think Holloway explained this himself in interview, down to the abuse given to some of his players at Selhurst.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Yes, Gus and Tony do need to sit down and have a little chat. Topic of discussion needs solely to be about getting players contracted up.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Think Gus will be gone by the end of May, either fired or resigned. Totally the wrong time to make those comments, regardless of the sentiment and his ultimately good intentions.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

OK perhaps not fired - how about mutually agreed departure?? You don't think it's possible that Bloom might actually have enough of the posturing and demands being made in public?? And if he can't give Gus the assurances he requires, surely we're better off getting rid early in the close season so that a new manager has plenty of time to prepare for the new season rather than wait for Gus to attract a 'bigger' club..

Just to caveat that - I don't want this to happen!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is exactly it, he wants a bigger budget. To get out if this league you need it.

I fear Gus and many people on here may well be disappointed then - Financial Fair Play rules kick in next season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
we looked tired last night in the second half but after the way we ended the season im not that suprised.

Oh spare me the ' tired ' excuse. What do you mean by ' after the way we finished the season ' Unless my eyes deceived me, we were in cruise control v Blackpool and Wolves, barely breaking sweat. We were fresh and lively for 35 mins at Selhurst and should have grabbed the tie by the scruff of the neck.
We got found out last night. We weren't tired. Just out-thought and out battled by a motivated team, throwing everything on the line. A tribute to the preparation and game-plan of their manager.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Hang on, surely this should be the other way round.
Gus has had fantastic support from his Chairman but is that faith being repaid? Desperate to manage at a higher level and with an ego the size of the Albert Hall, our manager constantly courts the press to talk up his ambition.
But does his ambition match his ability?
Is he learning fast enough to hold down a better job? He was outwitted by an older, more experienced hand last night and thats certainly not the first time we've seen it happen. Holloway learnt from the first leg and upped his game. Gus didn't, pressing ahead with the usual game plan. Holloway made decisive substitutions and went looking to finish the job. Gus waited and paid the penalty.
How come Palace were so fired up last night and some of our players looked like they had treacle in their boots? How come, every time we go a goal down, we know we can't win the game? How come heads drop in our our team when we fall behind? How come we still haven't got the right balance in the team?
When they sit down for their ' meeting ' I suggest Tony Bloom asks...." How come Mr Poyet? "

i don't think he was out witted.......their players wanted it more.........and our players were shocking.......

the only thing he could have done was stick a new lad on zaha from the start , who, i dont know ,one of the d/s lads maybe.......he knew zaha had inigo over..anyway , apart from that we were woeful last night,

particularly in the last 30 minutes.

never mind eh....?

I fear Gus and many people on here may well be disappointed then - Financial Fair Play rules kick in next season.

They've already kicked in, Championship clubs had to submit their 2011/12 accounts to the FL by December 2012; the upper loss limit for this period is £12m, £10m in 2012/13, £8m in 2013/14, £6m in 2014/1. The prescribed sanctions (ie a transfer embago if the club remains in the Championship) are not being applied until the 2014/5 season (ie when the 2013/14 accounts are submitted).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
i don't think he was out witted.......their players wanted it more.........and our players were shocking.......

Disagree....I think he was outwitted. It was obvious that Holloway would turn up with a different game plan. That they would push up, squeeze us and not give us any space.
Gus employed exactly the same game plan and team as last friday. Hence, didn't see any need to change or react. Result...defeat....Reason outwitted.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The more I think about it, the more I think Gus would be mad to jump ship unless we are actually looking at a cut in budget. His squad at the start of this season resembled one of mine on Football Manager - awash with players under contract that weren't good enough but couldn't be shifted. It's no wonder they haven't been rushing to renew contracts this time. Choose wisely from what we have, get the likes of JFC in the mix, CMS & Hoskins fit and bring in 3 or 4 new ones and I still think we'd have a top half squad. It's fair to say that with the likes of Ulloa and CMS we have players that many other clubs would want in the Championship but we need to tailor our game to them, not look for pricey alternatives. Add Barnes and Orlandi into the mix and that's 40-50 goals right there. Not a bad starting point.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I think its mental for us to push Gus out. Young manager who is still learning. He takes it badly when we lose. His pride will be hurt at being out thought tactically.
But he brings in good players, gets the team playing with style. He wants to push on , knowing 10 players are out of contract with several loan signings not likely to return he wants to know he can bring people in and re sign key players.

If he us offered the Everton job he should take it. And would have earned it. I hope he is here next season as he will have learnt from these play off games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here