Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Everyone is focusing on this quote but I don't really see the problem with it? If you get angry and in the heat of a moment say something it doesn't make you a racist it just means you lost your cool. Unless I'm missing the obvious here.

The 'obvious' might well be that if a player who has a different skin colour has just kicked you up in the air, and you turn round for some afters, why would you abuse them on the grounds that they're black? Of all the names you're going to call him, why should their race enter into it?

'I'm going to snap your f***ing legs in seven places, you piece of shit f***ing wanker...' really ought to suffice. It was the kind of attitude that was enough for a hatstand basketcase like Roy Keane...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just heard the quote, on 5-live.
It does come across very different than how it's been reported, but it still isn't great timing from Gus.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Gus should have kept his thoughts to himself. I tend to agree with him though. I have had personal experience. I did not make any racial slurs, but that is how at least some of the third party interpreted them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now I know this as I was there. See how things can be a little just a little mis-quoted!

You were at the Press conference Tim ? Why didn't you mention it ?

:facepalm: Oh, you did - 5 times on this thread alone
Maybe you deserve your own thread in case anyone missed it

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gus has just said on Twitter that it was a misunderstanding

"Suarez he no racist, he ask me what is worse thing you can call someone & I tell heem in Brighton eet ees a Nigel, Evra he mishear Suarez"

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Have just read a synopsis of what Gus said on BBC website and, despite this being controversial, I think he is spot on.

That being said its not the greatest timing, but his point is sound.

In Gus I Trust.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[video]http://allsp.com/l.php?id=e154[/video]

I think South Park deals with this best of all.

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
I think Gus should have kept out of this! I know he is trying to stick up for suarez but any thing to so with racism at this time could get you in serious trouble, and i think gus may have unecessary problems or conflicts now for saying it! its not wise to get involved if you ask me, and especially to take sides!

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Just listened to the full interview with our Gus and can't believe what I've heard. Fair enough, stick up for your mate but why did he have to start getting all opionated? Gus is very passionate as we all know but I think he stepped over the line this time. Let's hope the PR people can smooth this over, damage limitation for Gus and more importantly our club.

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
I have not liked Gus for ages (though have always respected what he has done as a manager), but today he has made my day!

Brilliant work Gus!

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
As an aside I heard Paul Elliot talking about this topic on Radio 5 the other night. A very smart, balanced, knowledgable and eloquent man. I cannot think of many former footballers like him.

Good shout. What a great head of FA he'd make.

On Gus here's my tuppence...

You have to wonder how he'd cope in a higher profile job.
I'm a bit surprised by his comments and I think he is wrong.
To call Evra a crybaby and making reference to turning the other cheek from his own playing experience in Spain is stupid frankly. The subtle message he seems to be trying to make about the use of the term Negrito in Uruguayan is then completely lost.

He's still a fantastic coach and a good up and coming manager but he has some quite offensive views and I wish he'd kept his mouth shut on this matter.

To think I named my kitten after him!!

The 'obvious' might well be that if a player who has a different skin colour has just kicked you up in the air, and you turn round for some afters, why would you abuse them on the grounds that they're black? Of all the names you're going to call him, why should their race enter into it?

'I'm going to snap your f***ing legs in seven places, you piece of shit f***ing wanker...' really ought to suffice. It was the kind of attitude that was enough for a hatstand basketcase like Roy Keane...

Er..... no it wasn't!
Roy Keane had to call the Ireland manager an "English ****" for instance. I know it's not a race, but obviously plain fire and brimstone was NOT enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here