Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus Poyet on Goals on Sunday now...

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
I maybe wrong but I believe some of gus frustration came out of the club not backing him in the signing of Van dijk.the season of moving into the new stadium was pivotal to where we are today,and gus is a major reason for that.for one I wouldn't change anything for the last few seasons. Also although not on the pitch that much ,bringing Vicente to the club is still one of my favourite memory's of all my years supporting the Albion.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Once we smashed through Gus' made up ceiling, we proved him to be wrong, and could then draw a line under his exit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he used his charisma to land another managerial job in England at some point.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Once we smashed through Gus' made up ceiling, we proved him to be wrong, and could then draw a line under his exit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he used his charisma to land another managerial job in England at some point.

Not convinced it was totally made up tbh. After he was sacked we sold/lost most of our best players and didn’t start paying bigger fees again until CH’s first full season. Just look at the players we signed after Gus left and the season CH rescued us from relegation. We only went on a spending spree again in Hughton’s first full season.

In hindsight I do have some sympathy with Gus’ ceiling comments. TB gave him a pretty substantial war chest and Gus talked Bridge and Vicente into coming here. Perhaps he knew we would be selling players and consolidating for a season or two if we didn’t get promoted in that fateful end of season.

Toys Prams and Throwing spring to mind though for his last few months, but when we were good under Gus we were as good as I have ever seen us, can’t deny that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I loved Gus

I loved the style of football

I loved his lunacy

I loved the first two seasons in the championship

I loved the team of misfits we had, who at times played some amazing football.

Orlandi
Kuszczak
Upson
Noone
Spanish Dave
Vicente
Barnes
Bruno
Buckley
Bridcutt
Calde
Greer
El Abd
Wayne Bridge
Ulloa

Exactly.

It was partly the new ground, but I absolutely loved those Poyet seasons and the quality of players we had compared with the decades of dross that we'd sat through. Vicente was worth the admission money alone ('give it to the Spaniard'). Bridge was different class. Orlandi, Spanish Dave would do the amazingly unexpected. We weren't perfect, but we were improving.

Poyet dragged us from lower League hoof merchants to playing the sort of possession-based football that is the template for all teams in the top 2 divisions now. I'd wager that those who claim to have been bored rigid by this are those who also have no patience for Hughton's approach either.

(I go and watch Lewes sometimes and Ryman Premier is fast, direct, physical and hugely variable in quality. It can be good fun but top division football it 'aint.)

Gus's ego got in the way and it ended messily, but you can't argue with his record or the contribution he made to our progress.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ahh the joys of watching Craig Mackerel Smith running around 100 mph and not being passed to and a defensive midfielder who barely went beyond the halfway line. And there was the song "William, William Buckley's hamstrings go easily dada dada da da". And David Slowpez who promised so much and gave too little. Them were the days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here