Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet My Lord

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Maybe we should offer to buy the Lord of the Manor of Brighton title from Chris Eubank and present it to Gus on his birthday, or if we get promoted. Then he'll be Gus Poyet My Lord officially!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I am beginning to get the feeling that we need to win the playoffs now or else we will probably lose him at some stage next season. His profile has risen steadily higher to the point where he now features on other fans' wishlists. It's only a matter of time before a big enough Prem club comes in and makes him an offer he can't refuse.

I love him in a manly manner.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I thought Mullery was a God,however he did take over a team that was nine tenths on the way to being a great side, and he did complete the job, but Gus has taken over a side that was not good, in the bottom half of Div 3(old money), and built them into a team baring no resemblance to that team, to within 3 games of the Premiership, spending very little in comparison to others, and playing a brand of football I thought would be impossible for the team I have supported all my life.

Yes, this is why Gus is better, Mullery inherited his team, Gus assembled his.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't get me wrong, I thought Mullery was a God,however he did take over a team that was nine tenths on the way to being a great side, and he did complete the job, but Gus has taken over a side that was not good, in the bottom half of Div 3(old money), and built them into a team baring no resemblance to that team, to within 3 games of the Premiership, spending very little in comparison to others, and playing a brand of football I thought would be impossible for the team I have supported all my life.

Sums it all up. How some people still moan about Gus baffles me. He has been one of the best things to ever happen to this club.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yes, this is why Gus is better, Mullery inherited his team, Gus assembled his.

Mullery inherited Horton, Ward , Rollings and O'Sullevan but also brought in Lawrenson, Steele, Moseley and Williams (and others). The team that went up to the 1st Div in 1979 was very much a Mullery team.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I never understand the criticism of Gus from some people. He is not perfect but he came in with us in the bottom 6 of League 1 and now has us 4th in the Championship after only 3 and a half years. He has done an amazing job in my eyes.

You just have to look at his signings this year. Dobbie obviously under achieved but it sounds like we will get our money back from Palace for him and Crofts has had injury problems, hopefully he will have a better second season. The others are Kuszczak, Bruno, Bridge, Upson, Orlandi, Lopez, Hammond and Ulloa who have all been great.

I know we waited 18 months for our striker but what a striker they got. His work rate, ball control etc for a big striker is fantastic. Whichever league we are in next year, I can't wait for a full season from Ulloa!

As far as I'm concerned, this season has been an amazing success. I really hope that if we lose in the play off semi finals, people remember this and regard it as progress rather than slagging off Gus and the team. Having said that, I don't want to think about that now. Must be positive about the play offs and not think about losing!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Had Leo Ulloa joined us last summer we would be promoted by now, before his arrival Gus was getting knocked by some for not getting a striker in the summer I'm glad he didn't rush things as Ulloa is a class act some people are far to impatient. My opinion is if you don't rate Poyet then you don't know much about football our Gus is a winner.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Fabulous Blog. When Gus gets us to the Premier league then he will be as good as Mullery. Still think Gus is great! come on Gus take us to the promised land.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I never understand the criticism of Gus from some people. He is not perfect but he came in with us in the bottom 6 of League 1 and now has us 4th in the Championship after only 3 and a half years. He has done an amazing job in my eyes.

You just have to look at his signings this year. Dobbie obviously under achieved but it sounds like we will get our money back from Palace for him and Crofts has had injury problems, hopefully he will have a better second season. The others are Kuszczak, Bruno, Bridge, Upson, Orlandi, Lopez, Hammond and Ulloa who have all been great.

I know we waited 18 months for our striker but what a striker they got. His work rate, ball control etc for a big striker is fantastic. Whichever league we are in next year, I can't wait for a full season from Ulloa!

As far as I'm concerned, this season has been an amazing success. I really hope that if we lose in the play off semi finals, people remember this and regard it as progress rather than slagging off Gus and the team. Having said that, I don't want to think about that now. Must be positive about the play offs and not think about losing!

Agreed. Gus has been a gem for us, and while there are aspects of his media-friendliness that can be uncomfortable at times, we have to live with the fact that as fans we'll always love the Albion more than he will. But I think he's grown to like us quite a lot, and the chance to build a club's style and playing structure almost from scratch don't come along too often, so any success we get now will very much be shaped by him. That's quite a legacy.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
On paper he hasn't actually achieved what Lloyd did yet. Bazza got us promoted from Div2 then got us to a play off final, with a team of rejects and misfits...lol.....ducking head already!!!!

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
On paper he hasn't actually achieved what Lloyd did yet. Bazza got us promoted from Div2 then got us to a play off final, with a team of rejects and misfits...lol.....ducking head already!!!!

Like the post albeit possibly tougue in cheek. Gus Poyet 44.21% win percentage compared to Barry Lloyd's win percentage of can anyone find out.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Like the post albeit possibly tougue in cheek. Gus Poyet 44.21% win percentage compared to Barry Lloyd's win percentage of can anyone find out.

pmsl....of course it was tongue in cheek. But people think I'm anti Poyet so I wouldn't want to disappoint them. There are plenty of things I don't like about his style, but hats off to him for the last month or so when it has really mattered....Let's just pray we approach these play off's with a positive mentality. If we do that, I really don't care who we have to play. We are a better team than any of them,,,when we play to our own strength's and not try to stop the opposition playing to their's....When you look at all the draws we have had through being negative, we really should have gone up already....But that is nit picking, the play offs is the way to do it,,,,at Wembley in front of 90,000.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
It riles me that some come on here, spouting that Gus is touting himself for this job and that job, when allthe evidence is that he has not spoken to any other club about a vacancy, thaty he keeps banging on about the lack of budget here, when to my mind he is just trying to damp down over inflated expectations, and with his lack of crucial signings at important stages in the clubs development, when in fact he has signedsome of the best talent I have seen at this clkub in forty years.Sorry abou t the rant,but I believe he is the best ever manager of our club,and I for one would not swop him for anyone in this Division

i completely agree with all you have said and more, i believe he, bloom and his team are setting us up really well for a viable future. i would be be gutted if Gus left us, but would wish him the best and thank him all that he has done. i think he would only leave us for a club like chelsea, as i'm sure he is well aware of the great job he is doing here. it annoys me too when i hear people slating him. i think they are naive and would probably prefer a Warnock or alladyce here to get us lobbing the ball directly to a lout up front with a bunch of michael brown style players in midfield!!!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nicely written, but I think you overstate how much a dozen or so incessantly negative posters on an internet forum, reflect the views of Albion fans in general. I love Gus, and I firmly believe that is true of the overwhelming majority of Albion fans.

This.

There are a handful of WUMs and a handful of morons who like to sound like they know what they are talking about. The default style for people of the hard of thinking is to be cynical.

I reckon most Albion fans LOVE Gus. I know I do.

His record is, whether we make it this year or not, yearly progress. From the moment he took over.

Every year he has taken us further. Factamundo.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Er, that was a joke.

In which case, I apologise for my comment.

It wasn't apparent that you were joking; I'm used to plenty of people on here spouting such guff and meaning it. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here