Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Interview- Post Match

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
"I always said that during the time we keep improving, I'll be at the football club," said the Uruguayan. "But as soon as we hit the roof? I need to know the answer to that in the morning, whether we've hit the roof or not.

Basically he wants more money to improve us and get us to the premiership? What a bad bad man.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just watched the interview on Player - seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Came across as calm but very disappointed.

He is going to sit down with the chairman, analyse where we are, whether we have "hit the roof" or not and take things from there. He is also going to think about where he is too. No threats to leave, no threats re budgets.

We know that he is a very analytical man and is now going to analyse everything from the season, his performance included. Just a normal reaction to a very disappointing end to an excellent season.

EDIT:

Just seen the interview on the Sun website, which was very different to the above! What Naylor needs to do is sit him down and ask for clarity once things have calmed down a bit and then we will see where he is and we are.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

If I were Tony Bloom I think the first thing I'd be asking Gus is why he can't seem to manage a side once 1-0 down.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There aren't any Premier League jobs out there apart from Everton which Martinez will get, and he's unlikely to get a better Championship team than Brighton.
League One Wolves to come knocking again?
Surely he wouldn't be that stupid.

I can't see where he can go.

You may have answered your own question. I reckon he'd even go to Wigan now for access to the parachute payments and Dave Whelan's wallet.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
As much as I like Gus and can see him going on to bigger and better things than us, 10 minutes after watching your team fail to score in 180+ minutes against a poor defence and getting out thought by Ian Holloway is really not the time to throw your toys out (even allowing for continental emotions). Not sure where he thinks the extra money is going to come from without selling Bridcutt and/or Buckley which is going to raise a whole load more problems.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
He's certainly done himself no favour with his comments, it's a shame because he'd won a lot of fans round recently, we'd been playing some really decent football, but I really don't think he'll be here at the start of June.
His contract means nothing in the scheme of things, I doubt he'll be pushed but I do think he'll resign, if he does will we still get compensation when he signs for another club ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If there is one positive to come out of tonight's latest spineless debacle, it is that time is now certainly up for old greasy jug ears.

Millions of pounds spent, dozens of points carelessly thrown away, a top two squad abysmally managed so that it takes until the 45th match to get in the play-offs, continued bottling of all the big matches, two seasons in a row of capitulating when it matters, endless touting of himself for jobs he won't get close to, one appalling signing after another, the biggest crowd and best stadium in the division yet he thinks we should be grateful to have him, one win in six against our rivals, £5 million worth of strikers and still constant pleas for more cash, 1.5 seasons wasted by his personal failure to sign a target man, a style that is effective in one match out of every five and a willingness to pass the blame that would make Redknapp blush.

And still, after ALL that, he thinks it's acceptable to come out minutes after yet another surrender against Palace and defeat in the play-offs and suggest the club needs to persuade him to stay. Is he for real? Any other manager would be grateful to get another chance with us next season. Well I've got news for you, you smarmy cretin, you won't get a better job than this and you've made yourself look like the **** you are in front of the country tonight. Get out of my club and let a proper football manager realise our potential.

Gus Poyet - unmitigated failure:tosser:

Who's going to break it to him that we came 4th?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"I always said that during the time we keep improving, I'll be at the football club," said the Uruguayan. "But as soon as we hit the roof? I need to know the answer to that in the morning, whether we've hit the roof or not.

Basically he wants more money to improve us and get us to the premiership? What a bad bad man.

Imo, last night was not the right time to be making those comments on Sky. They should be said behind closed doors.

Not a bad man, but a petulant and often naïve one when things go against him, and totally unprofessional on the night.

I am very interested in seeing Bloom's reaction to it, I doubt he was happy about it but I have no doubt it will be considered and far more professional

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He is always abrupt when talking to the media. Seems to me that he is making it known he wants a budget in place for next year so he knows what he is working with.
If he goes then fine its his choice at the end of the day. We are still a club on the up and i can see a host of managers wanting to come here given half the chance. No one is bigger than the club

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just watched the interview on Player - seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Came across as calm but very disappointed.

He is going to sit down with the chairman, analyse where we are, whether we have "hit the roof" or not and take things from there. He is also going to think about where he is too. No threats to leave, no threats re budgets.

We know that he is a very analytical man and is now going to analyse everything from the season, his performance included. Just a normal reaction to a very disappointing end to an excellent season.

EDIT:

Just seen the interview on the Sun website, which was very different to the above! What Naylor needs to do is sit him down and ask for clarity once things have calmed down a bit and then we will see where he is and we are.

listen to it on the bbc website ..ignore the timing and emotion...then consider that some of his points are actually valid

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Imo, last night was not the right time to be making those comments on Sky. They should be said behind closed doors.

Not a bad man, but a petulant and often naïve one when things go against him, and totally unprofessional on the night.

I am very interested in seeing Bloom's reaction to it, I doubt he was happy about it but I have no doubt it will be considered and far more professional

We all know he wears his emotion on the outside. He's not going to change on the biggest night of the year.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
listen to it on the bbc website ..ignore the timing and emotion...then consider that some of his points are actually valid

That is the interview on Player that, as I said earlier, I thought was reasonable. There is nothing in there that suggests that he has had enough - just wants to analyse where the club are, him included. Just a normal reaction to a disappointing night.

I would like to be able to see the whole of the press conference that the Sun have got as that is where these other comments were said, I believe.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Having watched the interview rather than just reading the bits the Argus chose to highlight, it seems far more reasonable. Tone and context are important. He did also talk about his love for the club and that he would be analysing his own performance. So though it was more about his own future than perhaps was appropriate, there was a hint that he's primarily wondering whether he's taken the club as far as he thinks is possible. I remember Kevin Blackwell saying very much the same just after Sheffield Utd lost their Championship play-off Final. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I suppose that's better than being willing to carry on for the pay cheque even if his heart's not in it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand people saying about Gus leaving but I think that it is all done to being taken out of context. I am sure that he will sit down with TB and both will discuss the future and THEIR plans. A point was made at the game that we were expecting a team to raise their game to gain promotion knowing that over 60% would be out of a job if we did get promotion. The only player who seemed to be up for the game last night was Hammond, the rest just went through the motions expecting to win rather than like Palace players who wanted to win..

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I just saw the interview in the sun online and I too think that Mr Bloom will not be impressed.
He should know when to stop talking and not ramble on.
I believe some things get misunderstood because of the way he says them, but it is the chairman's decision one way or the other and I think he is more than capable of dealing with it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
His interview troubled me more than the result.....oh well, we've come a long way in a short time. I really hope he stays, this season despite last night has been a success.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Why do we always assume he's talking about money? He may be questioning tactics, buying policy, use of development squad, scouts use of budget or yep, size of budget.

Agree with you though, nothing wrong with begging the question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here