Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet In or Out

Gus Poyet In or Out

• Total voters

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We are just so slow and sloppy collectively as a team- our failed pass rate must be up there with the worst in the league.

Whatever happens Poyet should of course stay until the end of the season but with the amount of money he has spent in the last two years I'm sure Tony, and most of us fans, would be expecting a better than mid table finish (even if we just miss out on the play offs).

and if we were in with a chance up until the end of the season and just missed out...poyet out?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For me we play possession football for the sake of it and have no purpose.

Barca are always looking for the ball forward whereas we are always looking for the ball backward.

Indeed. I have lost count of the amount of times this season and last we were level with the opp 18 yard box and the ball has found its way back to the keeper :facepalm:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ridiculous statement. Sorry.

OK maybe too strong on the negativity we are not always looking for the ball backward.

We are very rarely looking for the ball forward though. Gus seems to drum into the players to always look for the safe option in passing rather than play the risky pass and lose possession.

However as someone else has pointed out we are losing possession playing this way anyhow.

For the amount of possession we have especially at home we spend far too little time in out opponents' third.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
and if we were in with a chance up until the end of the season and just missed out...poyet out?

No, that's why I said he should stay if we are top half (see my bit in brackets), but questions should certainly be asked if we finish mid-table given the money he has spent.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Of course Gus wants a new attacking player/striker, managers always do when they don't win but if you were Bloom would you trust him to buy yet again.

Murray/Forster - didn't get on with Gus left club
Kaznga - Great in Div 1 but now deemed not good enough
CMS - Great effort but at this level lacks killer instinct
Noone - Seemed good at start but relegated to the bench/left club
Barnes - Regular starter OK goals return but not going to be a 20 goal man we need
Buckley - The one success but injury prone
Hoskins, Paynter, Dobbie, Wood etc etc

The list goes on, while Gus has assembled a good defence, Bridge and Bruno in particular and midfield, we could end up with a 50 man squad full of rejected strikers, none of which we can sell, when they prove not good enough. His choice of attacking players/strikers and ability to deal with the more egotistical type of player the good ones usually is question mark over him I believe.
I can't see the style of football we play suiting many UK strikers so unless Bloom shells out for a £5 million+ man and the silly wages they ask for (which I hope he never does) it's gonna be Groundhog day.

You're in the wrong profession, a great future in fiction awaits you.

Murray left the club because he needed the signing on bonus that CPFC2010 were willing to pay him. He was offered what the club thought was a fair contract but his ex-wife's financial demands over-ruled any offers from the Albion that didn't involve a lump sum that would get her off his back.

Forster left because he was expecting to walk into a coaching/managerial role when he finished playing.

Noone did not 'leave'. Cardiff made a bid for him, we held on to him then he was eventually sold for 5 times what we paid for him wasn't it? Not bad business and every club would do the same. Players move around, that, as they say, is football.

As for the others you mentioned, were you one of the ones desperate for us to sign Lua Lua permanently while he was still on loan? Same for Wood?

I notice you haven't mentioned our new keeper-where does he fit in your story? Success or another one in the 'doesn't cut the mustard' pile?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
To even discuss sacking a manager who is 2 points of a play off place is utterly moronic, and to see that 30% are even considering it an option tells me more about the intellegence of football fans than anything else.

If we sacked Poyet this side of Christmans we would be a laughing stock in the world of football. The amount of progression under him in playing style, squad, and performance is excellent on the whole under his tenure. In fact I would argue he should be given the whole season regardless unless we are in imminent danger of relegation as a sharp change in manager with the way the team are drilled to play in Poyets style high risk.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To even discuss sacking a manager who is 2 points of a play off place is utterly moronic, and to see that 30% are even considering it an option tells me more about the intellegence of football fans than anything else.

If we sacked Poyet this side of Christmans we would be a laughing stock in the world of football. The amount of progression under him in playing style, squad, and performance is excellent on the whole under his tenure. In fact I would argue he should be given the whole season regardless unless we are in imminent danger of relegation as a sharp change in manager with the way the team are drilled to play in Poyets style high risk.

Exactly. It's actually embarrassing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This. Obviously.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Amen, however a poll on NSC showing 30% doesn't equate to 30% of 'football fans' - not in any meaningful sense any road. For example, the next poll should be just for that 30% and how many games they've attended in the last 18 months...

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
starting to go towards Out, not because of the form but because he hasnt learnt from last season, the tactics are still holding our players back from reaching there potential and after 11 months of 'trying' to sign a striker its getting a little 'boring' now.

my thoughts - He is still a young manager and he will learn and get better but the problem at brighton is their is no one with enough experience to tell him that is wrong (I said when we first went up, a coach that has been there done that would have been ideal)

in terms of a striker, this summer Beckford, Cox, Sharp, Bothroyd and Miller (Ishmael) all moved! plus possibly Austin would have signed if we had made an effort.. yet we waited till deadline day and brought in Dobbie (a talented striker) but at 5'10 not a target man and not a work horse.. he is poacher thats why he scored so many at blackpool. could he be a good signing, yes.. given the service!

tactics and formation - still we play a lop sided midfield with one winger and 2 strikers but one sort of wide... this didnt work last season and Gus changed it, for some reason he has gone back to this shape..a shape which at this level seems easy to mark and easy to defend against if you have done your homework.... we would be better playing either a real 4 - 5 - 1 with 2 wingers and 3 centre mids or 4 - 4- 2 which he doesnt like.

but will we get rid, no.. Bloom trusts him and he has earn this chance over the last 2 years, but he does need to learn, find a plan b and be more flexible in his style.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Brilliant post. Great avatar too.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
On the fence

Sorry but going on the last five games how can anyone one be happy and Gus our manager for nearly 3 years now needs to get this sorted A.S.A .P we are now playing with mainly Gus signings and with the revenue he has had should being doing a lot better, in my opinion we still playing with too many diversion one players.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

I wouldn't consider sacking Poyet at the moment as that is ridiculous but I question your assertion that the team are still progressing.

My worry is that issues that we have had for a long time now he seems unable to solve. So either his playing style problems aren't solvable so should be changed or he is taking a very long time to find the solution. I am just starting to doubt.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'd like to see Gus accept that "his way" isn't always the right way and that switching to a plan b style of play if we're behind after 60 minutes isn't a bad idea!

If he continues to blindly play the same style in front of opposition who have "worked it out" then I won't be devastated to see him leave.

Oh, and can we have another "finisher"... so many crosses, so few goals!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I wouldn't consider sacking Poyet at the moment as that is ridiculous but I question your assertion that the team are still progressing.

I didn't say they were still progressing I said that there had been tremendous progression over Poyets tenure as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here