Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on SSn

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
He was Pep's assistant and knew the club inside out before starting as manager.

I dont think players like what Barcelona have actually need a manager. They could save themselves a fortune and let the skipper pick the team and do the training.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That very much depends on the manager.

Disagree, the owners will drive the dynamics of a club, they see managers and players as transients and to a point they are right.

Managers know how owners work but tolerate them due to the fantastic wealth on offer.

We just do not know how principled Guardiola is, if at all, we just don't.

My bet is he will forgo any likely principles if the contract is big enough.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
So, the conversations might have gone like this:-

Abramovich: Hello Pep, here's lots of money, come and manage my team
Guardiola: No, I'm having a year off
Abramovich: OK, here's even more money
Guardiola: How about I start in the summer

Abramovich: You can f*** off in the summer because you're being replaced
Di Matteo: What a wanker you are Mr Abramovich, I'm leaving now
Abramovich: No worries, I'll get some other mug in till the end of the season.

Abramovich; Hello Mr mug, I mean Benitez, here's lots of money to manage my team till the summer

Or.....

Abramovich: See ya Roberto we're going to get someone better in
RDM: Ok, money please

Abramovich: Pep, come manage us now, I have lots of money
Pep: No ta, having a year off

Abramovich: Shit. Er Rafa come manage us to the end of the year when I hope we can replace you with Pep
Rafa: Ok

Summer 2013

Abramovich: You'll surely come and manage us now Pep won't you.
Pep: Nah, I don't think so.
Abramovich: Shit. Err Rafa I've always liked you, how about staying for a few more years?
Rafa: Ok, show me the money

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I dont think players like what Barcelona have actually need a manager. They could save themselves a fortune and let the skipper pick the team and do the training.

Errr... I'll respectfully disagree! Although Puyol will no doubt be a manager for them in the future. Absolute natural born leader and one of the classiest guys in sport

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Disagree, the owners will drive the dynamics of a club, they see managers and players as transients and to a point they are right.

Pep Guardiola was given far more control over the footballing side of things at Barca than any coach they'd had since Johan Cruyff. That is not just my opinion, it is as acknowledged fact.

To give one example, Guardiola wanted rid of Ronaldinho, one of the biggest stars in world football at the time and a huge name at the club, because he believed that Ronaldinho's off pitch attitude was a negative force in the Barca dressing room and Guardiola did not want it affecting some of the newer, younger players he was bringing through (most notably a Mr L Messi).

On Guardiola's say so and because of the club's trust in him built up over a long playing career and then a coaching career with Barca B, they sold the biggest name in world football for the greater good of the club as Guardiola saw it. Now, what do you imagine would happen if Guardiola goes to Chelsea and demands that Abramovich get rid of Torres?

Pep Guardiola is a bloody good manager, and although he obviously had the advantage of a world-class set of players when he started, it was the changes he made (and was allowed to make, where others may well not have been) in terms of style and personnel that made Barca into the machine that they were under him.

I honestly believe that wherever he goes next, he will want that same freedom to put his mark on things and history tells us that is something Abramovich won't hand out easily.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Pep Guardiola was given far more control over the footballing side of things at Barca than any coach they'd had since Johan Cruyff. That is not just my opinion, it is as acknowledged fact.

To give one example, Guardiola wanted rid of Ronaldinho, one of the biggest stars in world football at the time and a huge name at the club, because he believed that Ronaldinho's off pitch attitude was a negative force in the Barca dressing room and Guardiola did not want it affecting some of the newer, younger players he was bringing through (most notably a Mr L Messi).

On Guardiola's say so and because of the club's trust in him built up over a long playing career and then a coaching career with Barca B, they sold the biggest name in world football for the greater good of the club as Guardiola saw it. Now, what do you imagine would happen if Guardiola goes to Chelsea and demands that Abramovich get rid of Torres?

Pep Guardiola is a bloody good manager, and although he obviously had the advantage of a world-class set of players when he started, it was the changes he made (and was allowed to make, where others may well not have been) in terms of style and personnel that made Barca into the machine that they were under him.

I honestly believe that wherever he goes next, he will want that same freedom to put his mark on things and history tells us that is something Abramovich won't hand out easily.

All well and good to a point but his transfer dealings haven't exactly set the world alight. He seems to do very very well with 'Brava' people (messi, puyol etc) but doesn't seem to be able to get the same results from bought big players. Villa, Fabregas etc.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Meant to type 'barca' obviously......

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

My point is that we just do not know what kind of man Guardiola is, I tend to agree with you that he comes across as a considered and highly professional man, that managed a fantastic team that delivered great success.

Who knows if he was allowed to freely manage Barca, it would be very unusual especially so on the continent, he would have had to earn that freedom by winning football games, which he did.

The Ronaldhino saga doesnt tell us much, it was obvious he was struggling and visually you could see him carrying weight, we really do not know if it was Guardiola's astute management skills that prompted his sale, or could it have been an angry Board that wanting the highly paid Ronaldhino out, maybe a bit of both, but irrespective of who's decision it was, he carried on winning football games, so it made it a non issue for most.

He fell out with Eto and Ibrahimavich maybe others, these were big hitters for Barca and major assets too, the board would be part of any transfers negotiations etc., but again Guardiola kept winning football games.

I am just trying to highlite that Guardiola stock is high at present and he is likely to have many options and will pick a club where he thinks he is best suited, just do not disregard Chelsea just because of your perception of their owner or Guardiola himself.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My point is that we just do not know what kind of man Guardiola is, I tend to agree with you that he comes across as a considered and highly professional man, that managed a fantastic team that delivered great success.

Who knows if he was allowed to freely manage Barca, it would be very unusual especially so on the continent, he would have had to earn that freedom by winning football games, which he did.

The Ronaldhino saga doesnt tell us much, it was obvious he was struggling and visually you could see him carrying weight, we really do not know if it was Guardiola's astute management skills that prompted his sale, or could it have been an angry Board that wanting the highly paid Ronaldhino out, maybe a bit of both, but irrespective of who's decision it was, he carried on winning football games, so it made it a non issue for most.

He fell out with Eto and Ibrahimavich maybe others, these were big hitters for Barca and major assets too, the board would be part of any transfers negotiations etc., but again Guardiola kept winning football games.

I am just trying to highlite that Guardiola stock is high at present and he is likely to have many options and will pick a club where he thinks he is best suited, just do not disregard Chelsea just because of your perception of their owner or Guardiola himself.

I would recommend that you read Graham Hunter's book "Barca: The Making Of The Greatest Team In The World" for more insight as to Guardiola and the situations you mention (Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Zlatan etc...). Irrespective of the Chelsea stuff it's a very interesting read for any football fan.

You seem to have an interest in the subject, so I think you'd enjoy it. :smile:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I would recommend that you read Graham Hunter's book "Barca: The Making Of The Greatest Team In The World" for more insight as to Guardiola and the situations you mention (Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Zlatan etc...). Irrespective of the Chelsea stuff it's a very interesting read for any football fan.

You seem to have an interest in the subject, so I think you'd enjoy it. :smile:

I will have a read of that, thanks !!

el punal

Not that I noticed, although the circumstance you describe is scarily likely under Abramovich, who just seems like a 21st century version of Jesus Gil to me.

Presumably Rafa's contract until the end of the season is part of a theory that sees Pep Guardiola take over after that once his one year sabbatical is over....thing this, I'm not sure he will.

Interesting point, think of West Ham "sacking" Avram Grant a couple of years ago to have Martin O'Neill take over. Only problem was that O'Neill said no! Massive egg on face for West Ham board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here