Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus has taken us as far as he can

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can I just say that this is the most ridiculously sensible post I have read for a long time. I congratulate you sir.

Thank you. I realise it reads like I am prodding the reader in the chest as I'm saying it. It's meant to.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If we lose by 3 or 4 on sunday is it the end for gus?:ffsparr:

With the ridiculous overreaction to a couple of defeats in a row on here, I honestly think there would be suicides if Palace beat us 4-0 at the Amex. I don't think certain people would able to take it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Another JCL, we have massively overachieved under Gus and it has changed our views of where we should be.

We play some of the best passing football in the league and are capable of beating anyone in this division, we are only a couple of players short of pushing for promotion and Gus is the guy to lead us there

Specs with a very healthy dose of rose colouring in them I reckon.
By the way,how long have people been saying we are only a couple of players short etc.etc.?
Just a thought,when was the last time we came from behind to win a game?First game at the Amex,wasn't it?That says quite a lot to me!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With the ridiculous overreaction to a couple of defeats in a row on here, I honestly think there would be suicides if Palace beat us 4-0 at the Amex. I don't think certain people would able to take it.

I actually half expect it tbh, they are a decent side. City and Barnsley aren't. I can take losing if we go for it but what I find hard to take are games where the opposition are more up for it than us. Maybe we don't have enough grit in the side.

I just hope we are up for the Palace game and don't try and contain them by knocking the ball around in our own half and getting hit on the break when we lose it. If we really go for it and lose I'll accept defeat and it will really hurt. If they seem to be more up for it than us that will be unacceptable, they are a better team than us this season so we need to fight for every ball. I have my doubts that the team has the backbone for it though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we lose by 3 or 4 on sunday is it the end for gus?:ffsparr:

Lose on Sunday, and it's 1 point from 12.

Lose at Forest as well, and it's 1 from 15.

The season would be over, and at that point we'd seriously need to look at what needs to change next year.

I actually half expect it tbh, they are a decent side. City and Barnsley aren't. I can take losing if we go for it but what I find hard to take are games where the opposition are more up for it than us. Maybe we don't have enough grit in the side.

I just hope we are up for the Palace game and don't try and contain them by knocking the ball around in our own half and getting hit on the break when we lose it. If we really go for it and lose I'll accept defeat and it will really hurt. If they seem to be more up for it than us that will be unacceptable, they are a better team than us this season so we need to fight for every ball. I have my doubts that the team has the backbone for it though.

Totally agree. It's the manner of our performances which are disturbing. I was genuinely looking at the last 3 games with optimism thinking that 6 points from these would not be too tall an order; we should be beating the bottom teams with the squad and quality we have. The problem is we are not willing to fight hard, dig in deep, and grind it out ugly when it really counts. These last 3 games were an ideal opportunity to get 'gettable' points in the bag and consolidate our position in the top 6 taking some heat out of the next 2 games. Instead, our season now hinges on them.

I have been one of those fans who has gone away to games where we have dropped so many points in the last minute; it is so frustrating to drop 2 points but at least we didn't lose and played well. The last 3 games we have not played well - fact. You can gloss Bolton up as much as you like but that still was not a performance that befits our quality or league standing. The problem is that we don't know how to play teams who press us high up the pitch. We have been sussed time and time again. Same old. We can all see it, but some on here are too stubborn to admit it. Gus has done well and we are lucky to have someone who believes in us, but he is not infallable and at times I think he is too arrogant and wont change things as it goes against his philosophy. Well that's great if every other team in the league also believes in his philosophy, but guess what, they don't.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
And half of our players (you could argue our best players) are only at the club because of Gus. .
This is the key point, I would hate to see that lost to the club, his ability to attract big names,.... as a result I dont know what would be best for the club going forward.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not good enough when we cant beat bottom of the league.

You don't quite understand the context of a league structure, do you?

Losing to the bottom team doesn't mean we're worse than them.
Beating Chelsea doesn't mean we're better than them.

We lost an away game in the most ridiculously competetive league. Wow.
Barnsley recently went on an 8 game unbeaten run which saw them make it to the FA Cup quater finals whilst also beating Middlesborough away, Blackpool away, and Hull away.

There are no mugs in this league. Sadly there are on this board.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The season would be over, and at that point we'd seriously need to look at what needs to change next year.

If only there was some sort of period, lets call it a WINDOW, where we could recruit (lets call it transfer) players in and out of the club for a monetry value.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Why not offer an opinion instead of calling people stupid.

I will offer an opinion. I seriously cant beleive poeple want Poyet out of the club or think he has taken us as far as we can go.

We are 7th In the 4th most competitive league in the world, playing a style of football that at times is amazing with players i could never of dreamed playing for the Albion - the majority whom would only have signed because of Poyet and his football philosophy, in a state of the art stadium and huge crowds 26k plus most games. I believe that poyet if he stays will take us to the prem in 2/3 years - which is fine - i want to be an established champ side. Yes we lost to bolton - i was there and we battered them, yes we lost to Barnsley, I wasnt there but on the radio at least a point would have been fair - they are scrapping for their lives. +50 points to stay up shows how competitive this league is. Poyet is the best manager this club has had since Mullery and our last flirtation with the top division. To get rid in my opinion would be a mistake.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I will offer an opinion. I seriously cant beleive poeple want Poyet out of the club or think he has taken us as far as we can go.

We are 7th In the 4th most competitive league in the world, playing a style of football that at times is amazing with players i could never of dreamed playing for the Albion - the majority whom would only have signed because of Poyet and his football philosophy, in a state of the art stadium and huge crowds 26k plus most games. I believe that poyet if he stays will take us to the prem in 2/3 years - which is fine - i want to be an established champ side. Yes we lost to bolton - i was there and we battered them, yes we lost to Barnsley, I wasnt there but on the radio at least a point would have been fair - they are scrapping for their lives. +50 points to stay up shows how competitive this league is. Poyet is the best manager this club has had since Mullery and our last flirtation with the top division. To get rid in my opinion would be a mistake.

THIS, very well put.

In Gus we Trust

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Please remove yourself from the board. You are clearly FAR too sane and reasoned to be positing on here.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Barnsley recently went on an 8 game unbeaten run which saw them make it to the FA Cup quater finals whilst also beating Middlesborough away, Blackpool away, and Hull away.

I think the bottom line of that post sums up the last year of NSC brilliantly

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It is my opinion that people are stupid?

Maybe if you call them mentally retarded he wouldn't have such a problem?

According to a 'source' (Cough, wikipedia, Cough) there are around 2-3% of those with a supremely low IQ.

So in a crowd of 25000 we may have around 750 who are not all there....

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Take a :bowdown:

I dread to think what state people will be in if we lose to palarse on sunday I predict a :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here