Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus gets the boot

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Is the Sunderland set up the problem or were they just unlucky picking the wrong managers? Maybe wheel see.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Big Sam apparently the favourite the get the job in the summer. I don't think you'd swap WH for the Mackems though, would you? Especially given that WH are going to be moving into their new ground soon etc. Unless the WH hierachy have set their sights on someone better than Big Sam?

They have. It's been an open secret that his contract won't be renewed in summer and they're looking for someone a bit more glamorous to go with the Olympic Stadium.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Gus will surely end up in the monkey enclosure at Drusillas.

orangutan-male.jpg

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sadly for him he jumped on the first Job which came along. The club was a mess before Di Canio and left even worse after, Gus was never going to be able to turn that team around with the players he had. Good luck to whoever takes over up there. Unfortunatley Gus obviously thought he could and it showed he clearly isn't as good as he thinks he is. Being dicked 8-0 by Southampton, being the only team to losing to QPR when playing at home and being 4-0 down at half time against a Cilla team who struggled to score goals. Not the best season for Gus.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
What more do Sunderland fans want? A cup final, regularly beating your bitter rivals and not getting relegated. Their budget is about right for where they are in the table.

Hopefully a sensible chairman will see what Tony saw in him and he will transform another under performing club into over achievers, like he did with us. Wish him nothing but the best.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Poison Chalice at Sunderland

33% win ratio compared to Hyypia at 23%. McNeill had 35% for Sunderland. Di Canio 23%. Bruce 29%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sunderland_A.F.C._managers

I would like Will Buckley back if he ever gets fit again.

What will Sunderland's next mistake be?

Pity, really, I was £20 up at the bookies betting against Sunderland. Should have bet more whilst the going was good.

Last edited:

larus

I don't dispute for one moment that we did well when he was here.
But, we had a large budget in league 1, so should have done well.
We had a largish budget in the championship, and we probably did a little better than we expected.

However, he was constantly putting himself in the shop window and implying that he wanted something bigger than us. I have no problem with him having ambitions; it was the lack of respect towards the club which I didn't find acceptable. This, compounded with the manner of his departure, (in which I'm sure the club aren't totally blameless but I feel as though Poyet was the main culprit) means that I have no sympathy and take a perverse pleasure in his struggles.

I also don't think he is as good a manager as he thinks he is. In reality, what has he achieved apart from a lot of self publicity...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sadly for him he jumped on the first Job which came along. The club was a mess before Di Canio and left even worse after, Gus was never going to be able to turn that team around with the players he had. Good luck to whoever takes over up there. Unfortunatley Gus obviously thought he could and it showed he clearly isn't as good as he thinks he is. Being dicked 8-0 by Southampton, being the only team to losing to QPR when playing at home and being 4-0 down at half time against a Cilla team who struggled to score goals. Not the best season for Gus.

That's not gonna be a Lorra fun

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Poyet can do one. It's Bridcutt and Buckley I feel sorry for. Clearly had their heads turned by Gus when neither were ready for the move up to EPL. Bridcutt has looked lost. I hope they both finds clubs that let them reach their potential. I'd have them both back in a shot.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
We had a largish budget in the championship, and we probably did a little better than we expected.

However, he was constantly putting himself in the shop window and implying that he wanted something bigger than us. I have no problem with him having ambitions; it was the lack of respect towards the club which I didn't find acceptable. This, compounded with the manner of his departure, (in which I'm sure the club aren't totally blameless but I feel as though Poyet was the main culprit) means that I have no sympathy and take a perverse pleasure in his struggles.

I also don't think he is as good a manager as he thinks he is. In reality, what has he achieved apart from a lot of self publicity...

Precious. We are a small club no matter what anyone thinks. Of course we are a stepping stone; I'd be worried if we employed a manager who thought that we were the absolute peak of their ambitions.

I couldn't give a monkeys **** if our manager wanted a bigger job as long as we were winning, which we were. Contrary to popular belief we didn't "bottle" the play off semi, we just lost to a better side on the night and didn't play to our full potential. Such is life.

As a club, together with TB, he brought us to life and gave us something to shout and sing about. Since he's gone you'd have thought people would appreciate what he did for us seeing some of tripe served up by Garcia and Hyypia.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Sadly he won't make a top manager until he realises some of his own shortcomings, i.e. the famous 'No plan B' and refusal to alter his formation/player selection to counter the opposition. Undoubtedly has some good managerial qualities and Sunderland hardly have a squad worthy of Premier League status. Buckley & Bridcutt were also huge gambles on his part. Wouldn't surprise me to see him with a Championship London based club next year or maybe even a 'lesser' La Liga side?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

This completely. My feelings as well. After promotion to the championship and some of the best football ever played in Brighton why weren't NSC in unison screaming for his head? Because he was doing a great job and we were enjoying life right up until that final game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Logic suggests that the only English managerial job left for him would be at a Championship side with parachute payments in reasonable nick.

Assuming he bided his time until after the end of the season the only likely side who would fit that criteria is Leicester City or Norwich City if they don't go up this season. Burnley will probably stick with Dyche come what may, QPR will be crippled with FFP penalties. Most of the other parachute clubs are too far in debt to contend - Cardiff, Bolton, Fulham, Wigan.

Nope, I don't see much keeping him here, possibly Spain could be his next destination. He's on record as saying he'd like to manage Zaragoza, and they're currently in a two-horse race for the 6th place play-off spot in the Spanish Second Division. I think he'd take that job in the summer if it came up, or something similar.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Sums up Poyet's premiership dream.

All this promise of the prem and look what it actually does to people when there.

Barnes has been the only success story out of all our current premiership ex players. The only player who didn't tout himself to Prem clubs. The only player who didn't receive any hype.

Poyet is still living off the one truly successful season he's had as manager, every other season has been hype.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here