Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus back in management

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His ambition used to be Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham. I wonder if he still touts himself after a win?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Arsene Wenger managed Grampas 8 out that way before Arsenal and he hasnt done bad since then so obviously chairmen do look at the people at those clubs. It is not such a backwater as many Asians are buying clubs so an opportunity will arise in this country if they do well in China.

Sorry mate, bit of a bizarre comparison. Wenger has always been successful, and never flogged himself around like a soho tart. Bit like me comparing myself with Trump, because we've both played golf in Scotland.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Does anyone have any idea whether Oatway or Taricco are actually considered good at their jobs anywhere other than the mind of Gus?

It's actually admirable loyalty that he brings them with him wherever he goes (and that they follow)
I think Gus has just a bit of a thing for a bit of rough. He used to have that thing going with Dennis Wise for a while, the only difference being in that relationship Gus was in the subordinate or gimp role. Maybe Charlie's satisfying Gus's previously unfulfilled fantasies in which he imagined himself in the dominant role and Wise as his submissive. But of course Wise was never going to play any role reversal games so Gus now has Charlie who is essentially playing the submissive Wise role..... Or maybe i'm just reading too much into it and Charlie's actually very good at his job and there on merit. That's not to say he wouldn't look very fetching in a gimp mask.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe they'll all share a big house. Gus & Charlie sharing a double bed, like Bert & Ernie.

Can't wait to hear what the Chinese make of Oatway. I've got visions of Gazza belching down microphones, or saying "**** off Norway" when asked for a comment.

Did Eric know about Bert? :moo:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Any accusations about hitting the ceiling and hopefully the chairman will go 'Triad' on him, meat-cleaving away his arse cheeks for a Poyet pate and his knackers for a Latino Dim Sum.

Almost seems to be a given that Poyet will roll out those words about reaching the ceiling within the next nine months given the below quote from article on ESPN:

"Manzano left at the end of the season after a disagreement with Shanghai's owners over the club's targets for next year."

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Any accusations about hitting the ceiling and hopefully the chairman will go 'Triad' on him, meat-cleaving away his arse cheeks for a Poyet pate and his knackers for a Latino Dim Sum.
Pretty much odds on that Gus won't get the local culture and radio poyet will broadcast something seriously offensive to the Chinese mind.

Can't see him lasting a season.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If this is November we must be in China !
Globe trotting on a grand scale AND getting someone else to pay for it . . . I'm sure their salaries will not be small either.
IPL or MLS next ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think Gus has just a bit of a thing for a bit of rough. He used to have that thing going with Dennis Wise for a while, the only difference being in that relationship Gus was in the subordinate or gimp role. Maybe Charlie's satisfying Gus's previously unfulfilled fantasies in which he imagined himself in the dominant role and Wise as his submissive. But of course Wise was never going to play any role reversal games so Gus now has Charlie who is essentially playing the submissive Wise role..... Or maybe i'm just reading too much into it and Charlie's actually very good at his job and there on merit. That's not to say he wouldn't look very fetching in a gimp mask.

I have actually seen Charlie wearing a gimp mask. There was a video clip doing the rounds a few years ago, where Charlie, along with a couple of players went along to Tommy Elphick's birthday party. Fun and games ensued, during which Charlie dlonned the mask. It game me nightmares for weeks.

Whilst I have no idea as to Charlie's coaching credentials, I think he was originally invited to join Gus's team, to act as a go between between the players and Gus.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A lot of bitterness here, I wish them all the best. Glad we have Chris Hughton though.
This, with knobs on.

Yes, it all went a bit crap at the end (if you'll pardon the pun) but we had three and a half bloody good years with Gus, Tano and Charlie, and I wish them all the best.

That said, I think Chris Hughton is EXACTLY the right manager for our current situation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have actually seen Charlie wearing a gimp mask. There was a video clip doing the rounds a few years ago, where Charlie, along with a couple of players went along to Tommy Elphick's birthday party. Fun and games ensued, during which Charlie dlonned the mask. It game me nightmares for weeks.

Whilst I have no idea as to Charlie's coaching credentials, I think he was originally invited to join Gus's team, to act as a go between between the players and Gus.

He's got all his coaching badges including UEFA Pro. It seems hilarious to mock him on here.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Irrespective of what happened eventually it was Gus who set us on our way and was the perfect manager to kick off The Amex and make us realise that we could become a reasonable Premier side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here