Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus after Ulloa?

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
It crossed my mind that he may already have turned his head given the allegedly lacklustre recent performances.

Funnily enough I wondered the opposite - that he was originally trying hard in the hope that Gus would put in a bid for him, but when the bid was for Bridders and Buckley instead he lost heart.

I suspect that it is much more likely that he it is just the process of coming back from a bad injury and possibly feeling a bit frustrated that he isnt fully fit yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Poyet is showing every day what an ******** he actually is.

I had huge respect for the man and loved what he did for us - now he can just feck off.

I hope City put 10 past them at Wembley.
Yes, because a 10-0 thrashing would certainly make Gus think twice about requiring replacements from his former club.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Considering Gus pursued Ulloa for about 18 months before finally landing him, it'll be no great surprise to see him come sniffing around for him before the month is out. Would pretty much put paid to any lingering top 6 pretensions here if he went though IMO.

He pursued Ryan Harley for about the same amount of time, can't see him signing him up.
In any case, I am not sure that Gus "discovered" Ulloa, kept up to date with his Spanish Passport application, negotiated his contract, negotiated his fee etc, surely Burke will have done all that? If Gus was doing all that, it puts a big hole in the theory that Gus left because Burke and Barber were pulling all the strings.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Anyone see the irony here?

End of last season and Gus asks whether Brighton has hit its ceiling.

Fast forward six months and he's trying to poach 3 players to play in the Premier League from a Championship side that had hit its ceiling.

Very good point.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He spent more than a year trying to get him for us, hardly a surprise if he is subsequently interested in signing him for Sunderland.

Not sure why people are so upset with Poyet about it. It is his job.

And also, didn't people immediately start looking at Oscar's old club to see who he could possibly bring with him when he was unveiled as manager? Would Oscar suddenly become an arse if he went back and signed some of them? No. Of course not.

All very sensible, but I really don't want to lose possibly our three best players to Gus. Do you?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He pursued Ryan Harley for about the same amount of time, can't see him signing him up.
In any case, I am not sure that Gus "discovered" Ulloa, kept up to date with his Spanish Passport application, negotiated his contract, negotiated his fee etc, surely Burke will have done all that? If Gus was doing all that, it puts a big hole in the theory that Gus left because Burke and Barber were pulling all the strings.

Its fair to say that Ulloa turned out to be a considerably more successful signing than Harley though, is it not ? So its not much of a stretch to think that with the form Ulloa showed under Gus, he'd make a move for him again.

The fact that Gus wasn't the one sorting out Ulloa's work permit, passport, contract etc over that 18 months is a complete irrelevence. Thats not his job, of COURSE that side of it would have been left to Burke/Barber. But the fact remains that Gus waited for Ulloa, waited for him to become available, waited for it all to be sorted out because he thought Ulloa was worth it. Instead of giving up on him and spending that £2m elsewhere, which he could quite conceivably have done a year or so earlier.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
All very sensible, but I really don't want to lose possibly our three best players to Gus. Do you?

Of course not.

Just don't understand the vitriol some people are aiming at Poyet. I would have been hugely surprised if he hadn't come back for at least Bridcutt. That's football.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I've re-read that article, and it is ALL conjecture. IF gus bids, THEN yes, we might accept. Until then...

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
The only good thing about this is that when we release next years accounts then we'll not have made a lose for FFP if we can sell Bridcutt, Buckley and Ulloa and bank the money :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of course not.

Just don't understand the vitriol some people are aiming at Poyet. I would have been hugely surprised if he hadn't come back for at least Bridcutt. That's football.

Indeed. But if he really wants them, then he should put in a serious bid. He WAS taking the p1ss with the initial offer for Liam, so deserves some stick for that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Its fair to say that Ulloa turned out to be a considerably more successful signing than Harley though, is it not ? So its not much of a stretch to think that with the form Ulloa showed under Gus, he'd make a move for him again.

The fact that Gus wasn't the one sorting out Ulloa's work permit, passport, contract etc over that 18 months is a complete irrelevence. Thats not his job, of COURSE that side of it would have been left to Burke/Barber. But the fact remains that Gus waited for Ulloa, waited for him to become available, waited for it all to be sorted out because he thought Ulloa was worth it. Instead of giving up on him and spending that £2m elsewhere, which he could quite conceivably have done a year or so earlier.

As he did with Ryan Harley, the point I am making is that waiting to sign the player the last time, is irrelevant, he will be interested if he thinks he will improve their squad.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I've re-read that article, and it is ALL conjecture. IF gus bids, THEN yes, we might accept. Until then...

The initial bid was too low.

But I doubt it was Poyet handling it. I suspect it is more likely he identified his targets and someone further up then starting the bidding and negotiating.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
You do realise he has to PAY US MONEY which we CHOOSE TO ACCEPT to "decimate" us.

It's like a school bully walking up to me and saying "I will pay you £14.67 to punch you in the arm". I can't really complain if I accept it.

Do you call TalkSport much?

I like the point you make. Although it's actually more like someone offering £14.67 to shag your wife, made worse if she's up for it and your not! It's disruptive to your relationship with her!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
"The fact remains............"

Does it?

Or was Ulloa a name on Burke's list? That after all is his job......

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I like the point you make. Although it's actually more like someone offering £14.67 to shag your wife, made worse if she's up for it and your not! It's disruptive to your relationship with her!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here