Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Guns in the US

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Link from Piltdown Man: https://www.google.com/search?q=put...ExNzk2ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There's a first hand account of the incident in post #53. He was there and that's what happened, and you were saying it doesn't happen. You can't argue that it wouldn't have happened if the group in front had guns because you don't know they didn't have guns, and we know that there are many accounts of gun violence in the US where both the assailant and the victim have a gun (no link necessary).
i thought you were specifically referencing Bowling Green.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A free country.
That’s a lazy argument. No country is completely free, lines always have to be drawn somewhere. So why do you believe that people have a “right” to own guns?

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Apparently over 90% of NSC has discharged a firearm, yet only 73% of Americans. Astonishing statistic!

Hardly a representation of the UK population.

Also, it’s multi choice, I personally ticked 4 boxes, that counts as 4 votes in the total, I believe with the same amount of‘evidence’ as you that maybe less than 20 % of UK population has fired a gun, ( I don’t include air guns, it’s not a firearm.) Not many of those 20% would be on a regular basis, I haven’t fire any type of weapon for at least 40 years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Firstly, the simple facts are:
Trump said he was going to build, but he didn't
Trump said he would make the Mexicans pay, but he didn't

The wall was Trumps project and it failed. Why would the next president want to continue with that failed project? And there's no point in keeping hold of all the material that Trump collected and didn't bother to use. Selling it doesn't, as your link puts it, stunt Republican efforts to restart construction, because the Republicans aren't in office and are in no position to be building a wall. They had their chance and failed.

Why would a news organisation be blaming the next president for the fact that the former president didn't bother using the materials they had to build their wall? Getting your 'news' from that site is no way to be objective.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Firstly, the simple facts are:
Trump said he was going to build, but he didn't
Trump said he would make the Mexicans pay, but he didn't

The wall was Trumps project and it failed. Why would the next president want to continue with that failed project? And there's no point in keeping hold of all the material that Trump collected and didn't bother to use. Selling it doesn't, as your link puts it, stunt Republican efforts to restart construction, because the Republicans aren't in office and are in no position to be building a wall. They had their chance and failed.

Why would a news organisation be blaming the next president for the fact that the former president didn't bother using the materials they had to build their wall? Getting your 'news' from that site is no way to be objective.
Didn't he also say that he was going to "lock her up". When does Hillary get out of gaol?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
There were fences etc, but I also seem to remember him saying how big it would be etc. It was a false promise.
... or ... another lie, in an ongoing and increasingly dangerous litany of lies.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Didn't he also say that he was going to "lock her up". When does Hillary get out of gaol?
Yet we have lasvegan here telling us that the Democrats want one party rule because Trump might be locked up

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Now I’m no expert on guns or the US law for that matter but what seems obvious to me is that the 2nd amendment (i think) and the right to bare arms was written when all there really had was muskets which I think needed to be loaded and plungered a bit before firing. It took about 30 seconds per fire I guess.

The law remains the same now they have machine guns.

Policy not keeping up with technology is as f***ed up as the USA itself.
Sorry but "the right to bare arms" made me laugh out loud :)

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Apparently over 90% of NSC has discharged a firearm, yet only 73% of Americans. Astonishing statistic!
That poll includes air guns and the thread title is much more likely to attract people with an interest in guns than those without.

Also there’s a big difference between going clay pigeon shooting and keeping a gun in your house.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
America as a society has decided that gun ownership is more important than the huge death toll that guns visit on the country year in, year out.

This will never change, because, now it is impossible.
Far too many people have guns, and, more importantly, people make a huge amount of money from the gun culture in America.
Britain saw a surge in hand gun ownership in the late 19th, early 20th century, due to fear of crime . After a few murders, by gun owners, a High Court Judge partially blamed the manufacturers and sellers of guns, although the actual murderers were hanged, this led to our first gun control Acts of Parliament.

We have since reacted to each new threat of guns, the souvenirs brought home from WW1, Dunblane with further legislation to restrict the legal ownership of guns.

We have introduced quite harsh gun control, compared to the majority of other countries, at a gradual pace, and, because of the public being largely in agreement with strict gun control, maybe to a certain extent, witnessing the effect of ineffectual firearm control in America , it has worked very well.

America would have to legislate against gun ownership from base zero, to a population that has been programmed to accept a certain level of fatalities as a price of near unrestricted gun possession.

Without years and years of public education, the majority of the American people will never be in favour of taking their God given right to own lethal killing machines unrestricted.

If Sandy Hook didn’t change things, nothing ever will.
A nice summary

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here